New member first questions

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

New member first questions

Postby AKcargo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:36 am

Hi, new member here, I've done some lurking already, but now I have some questions of my own. I'm building a 6x12 single axle interstate roadrunner to to be a bit of a toy hauler and simple camper. I'll be towing it to Alaska, where I hope to build a small house, and live in this during construction. Kitchen up front, no bathroom, one half of bed folded up leaves a single bunk which can also be used for extra counter space, dining table, or workbench, everything in the rear hinged to fold against the wall to allow use as a cargo trailer for a motorcycle or just general stuff. I've been ordering parts and playing with some ideas on sketch up and have come to my first questions:

Weight distribution: I've laid things out the way I think they would fit best, but now I have to consider my tongue weight. Planning on a thirty gallon water tank -which I want inside for freeze proofness-, two gc2 batteries, and two 20lb propane tanks. With the idea of keeping the rear open, everything naturally fits forward or on the tongue. I have an F 350 to tow it, but I don't want to limit myself to a heavy duty truck just because of tongue weight.

Windows for thick walls: My current plan will end up with walls about 3.5" thick, and I can't find any RV windows for a wall this thick, any suggestions? I haven't looked at one in person, will using one for a thinner wall work and just leave a gap between the inside trim ring and the window? Or do the inside and outside bolt together to sandwich the wall?

https://vgy.me/GEaVHJ.jpg

https://vgy.me/fhefn0.jpg

https://vgy.me/6FP4T8.jpg

https://vgy.me/yIupMQ.jpg

Thanks -Aaron
AKcargo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New member first questions

Postby aggie79 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:55 pm

AKcargo wrote:Hi, new member here, I've done some lurking already, but now I have some questions of my own. I'm building a 6x12 single axle interstate roadrunner to to be a bit of a toy hauler and simple camper. I'll be towing it to Alaska, where I hope to build a small house, and live in this during construction. Kitchen up front, no bathroom, one half of bed folded up leaves a single bunk which can also be used for extra counter space, dining table, or workbench, everything in the rear hinged to fold against the wall to allow use as a cargo trailer for a motorcycle or just general stuff. I've been ordering parts and playing with some ideas on sketch up and have come to my first questions:

Weight distribution: I've laid things out the way I think they would fit best, but now I have to consider my tongue weight. Planning on a thirty gallon water tank -which I want inside for freeze proofness-, two gc2 batteries, and two 20lb propane tanks. With the idea of keeping the rear open, everything naturally fits forward or on the tongue. I have an F 350 to tow it, but I don't want to limit myself to a heavy duty truck just because of tongue weight.

Windows for thick walls: My current plan will end up with walls about 3.5" thick, and I can't find any RV windows for a wall this thick, any suggestions? I haven't looked at one in person, will using one for a thinner wall work and just leave a gap between the inside trim ring and the window? Or do the inside and outside bolt together to sandwich the wall?

Thanks -Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Looks like a nice design! In my reply I added the image tags or whatever they're called so your images are visible.

RV windows have an inner clamp ring that pulls the outside window flange/window together. About the thickest wall section I've seen that can be fit with RV windows is 2". You could inset the window on the inside of your CT and then apply your interior finishes around the clamp ring.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby AKcargo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:29 pm

Thanks Tom, this is the first time I've tried to post pics to a forum since photobucket started charging for their service, I still have to figure out it's replacement. I was afraid of that with the windows; I found one on eBay that fit up to a 2 5/16 wall I think. I guess I'll just have to order one and see how I can make it work once I have it in my hands. I was hoping there was a source somewhere for thicker windows. -Aaron
AKcargo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:03 pm

Here is a drawing showing thin and thick walls. I may help you wrap your head around what you are going to see with thick walls. You may need to fashion a spacer that attaches to outer frame and then screw into that through inner frame to pull it tight.

I did see a place that custom makes windows. I'll try to find the link for you.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:33 am

McDave
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:40 am

Some use shed windows flush mount. Supposedly have tempered glass not auto.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:59 pm

I wonder if you can just get the right longer screws and
make your own spacers?
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby beachguy005 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:39 am

With walls that thick I'd consider just using a small flange mount vinyl window. Given that it's a trailer, I think you would have to use an impact rated or hurricane rated window.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby MrBo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:26 am

Looks great ! Looking forward to following along as I do the same! Thanks! Best of luck with your build! :thumbsup:
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby onlyridepark » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:39 am

I don't have any close up pictures that show what I did on mine. My trailer came with 1" wall with windows already installed. After adding Insulation and finishing out the inside, my wall thickness ended up at 2.5". I used the same trim ring that came in the windows but used longer screws and cut a spacer to fill in the gap.
This picture kind of shows it.

onlyridepark
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:55 pm

Nice solution onlyride! So, (2) pieces of 3/4 ply? Use trim ring as template?
What I am able to see looks very good. I zoomed in on the driver side. Excellent problem solving, Sir. If you get a chance, maybe some closer shots and a short tutorial, please.
Thanks,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby AKcargo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks for all of the replies! I went ahead and ordered the thickest RV window I could find, I think they said it was for a 2 5/16 wall. I'll see when I get it what I can figure out about a spacer.

What do you guys think about my layout as far as weight distribution? I'm putting the two gc2 batteries outside behind the passenger fender, I've got a Norcold fridge, Suburban furnace, and water tank to put under the counters, my two 20lb propane bottles on the tongue, plus miscellaneous stuff in the cabinets and shelves. I'm thinking I'll just go for it and see how it ends up, if it's way too tongue heavy I can just run less water in the tank, and I think having a motorcycle in there will also help counter some tongue weight. -Aaron
AKcargo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby onlyridepark » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:02 pm

McDave wrote:Nice solution onlyride! So, (2) pieces of 3/4 ply? Use trim ring as template?
What I am able to see looks very good. I zoomed in on the driver side. Excellent problem solving, Sir. If you get a chance, maybe some closer shots and a short tutorial, please.
Thanks,

McDave

Cutting ply might actually work better or just as well as what I did. I just searched my garage for whatever I had laying around. There is a 1/4" wide, 1/4" deep groove on the window side. I had some 1/4" black plastic that I cut to width. It was fairly flexible but heat helps with the corners. Put some glue into the groove and pressed plastic into place. Backed the plastic with some insulating foam and used some black silicone sealant at the seam. Then just bolted the trim ring back into place. Wasn't sure it would even work when I started but it looks like it is made that way once all put together.
onlyridepark
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions