PlaidCat's Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

PlaidCat's Build

Postby PlaidCat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 am

Hey all,

PlaidCat here. I’m an old gal living in Prince Edward Island, Canada. I've been lurking, reading, and learning here for a while. What a wealth of knowledge you all have! :thumbsup: After thinking about a CTC for a long time I'm finally going for it. Using many of the suggestions from all of your "wish I had done/gotten this" posts I ordered the trailer today. It should be here in a couple of weeks.

This is what’s on order:
*All Aluminum Construction
*2″ x 5″ Integrated Frame
*12" Extended Tongue
*16″ o/c Floor, Walls & Roof
*36″ Wedge Front (19′ Inside)
*Tandem 3500 lbs Dexter EZ Lube Axles
*Electric Brakes on Both Axles
*Double Rear Barn Doors
*32″ x 72″ R/V Side Door w/ Flush Lock & Deadbolt (pushed back as close to fender as possible)
*18" x 24" Window in Side Door (tinted, opens side to side)
*16′ Catwalk w/ 4 Ladder Racks & Ladder
*Rear Ladder Roller
*(2) 26″ W x 6′ L Aluminum Stow-Able Ramps
*ST205/75R15LRC Radial Tires
*5 Bolt Galvanized Wheels
*Interior Height (79″)
*3/4″ Advantech Flooring (waterproof)
*3/8″ Advantech Walls (waterproof)
*3/4" Foam Board (Blue) Insulation (Ceiling & Walls)
*White Luan Ceiling Liner
*24" x 36" Egress Window (tinted, driver's side, opens side to side)
*1 Piece Aluminum Roof
*(2) Interior Lights w/ Wall Switch
*All LED Lighting
*Bonded Aluminum Exterior
*Plastic Salem Vents
*24″ Stone Guard
*(2) Non-Powered Roof Vents
*GVWR: 7000 lbs
*Empty Weight: 1630 lbs
*Payload: 5370 lbs
*Limited 4 Year Warranty

This is what I plan to do with it:

I’m very comfy with the building bits and can muddle my way through the plumbing, but am pretty much a newb when it comes to electrical. :oops: I’m willing to give the running of wires a try but I plan to have the solar system installed by someone that knows what the heck they are doing so I don’t cook any panels or batteries!

Now, I need you all to help me find the weak spots in my design ideas! Questions and suggestions are encouraged. :D
PlaidCat
Teardrop Inspector

Re: PlaidCat's Build

Postby McDave » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:53 am

Wow, That is an extremely well thought out plan. The trailer you have ordered is beyond ideal. The addition of the ladder racks, cat walk and stowable ramps provides for additional utility and future upgrades/mods. It really pays to do your homework, then "plan the work and work the plan".
I like what I see here, nicely done.
Congratulations and enjoy the journey.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:56 am

I might be a good plan to leave the propane outside the living area. Gas leaks, etc can/do happen. Obviously the same for any other fuels.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby PlaidCat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks for the encouragement McDave :)
PlaidCat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PlaidCat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:43 am

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the comment. The cabinet where the propane tanks are is vented to the outside by a low-set Salem vent. Do you think this is enough venting or would you still put them outside? I plan to keep them shut off when not in use and during transit.

PlaidCat
PlaidCat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby John61CT » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:39 pm

Ideally a locker accessible from the outside, sealed completely from the inside.

Who have you selected to build the trailer?

Nice plan!
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PlaidCat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi John,

I ordered it from a company in Moncton, New Brunswick and they said it's being built in Maine. Not sure which company is doing the actual build.

PlaidCat
PlaidCat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rainier70 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:41 pm

Very nice setup planned. I like the versatility of the ladder racks and the ramps. Are you planning any water or waste tanks? Looks like a lot of your "kitchen" cabinets are already filled. Is there kitchen storage in upper cabinets? Also wondering on the two propane tanks. That is a fair amount of gas. Are planning on a RV propane furnace or water heater? Just curious.

I like your plans and what you have ordered. :thumbsup: I am looking forward to seeing your build.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:35 pm

I like your design but It seems that all your weight is behind the wheels.
Depending on the weight of the clothing you carry you may need to move
some things to get sufficient tongue weight. Water and food weight adds
up quickly.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:12 pm

I'd do power to roof vents so if you change your mind about needing fans up there you can add them.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:49 pm

John61CT wrote:Ideally a locker accessible from the outside, sealed completely from the inside.

+1 :thumbsup: That is how I did mine. Also used a vented door and a floor vent. Batteries and stinky slinky are in same compartment. Here is a pic. Water inlet and 30amp power are just below door.

You do need to consider weight and balance when planning, so here is a tool that will help you.
https://www.engineersedge.com/calculato ... alance.htm

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Vspec » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:02 am

PlaidCat wrote:I ordered it from a company in Moncton, New Brunswick and they said it's being built in Maine. Not sure which company is doing the actual build.

Hello from over the straight, with a WIP CTC in Fredericton, NB

I would hazard a guess that Mission Trailer is building your CT, if it is coming from Maine..
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PlaidCat » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks for all the input! :thumbsup: I'll attempt to address all the questions.

Rainier70 - Not sure if you can see them very well, but the dotted rectangles under the toilet and bed are the black, grey, and fresh water tanks. They will be mounted under the floor. Yes, the upper cabinets will be for food and dishes. I have planned for the space for two propane tanks but will start with just one. I have no idea how long that will last so wanted the option to add on to the system at a later date if needs be. No plans for a furnace ever. If we really feel we need heat we will pick up a Buddy heater. We aren't going to add a hot water heater to start with. We don't have a shower planned so feel like the small amount of hot water we will need can be heated on the stove or by the sun.

pchast - Yes, weight distribution is a concern! I just about drove my better half (and myself) crazy with possible floorplans trying to balance everything out. That's why the water tanks are all in front of the axles. As well, the electrical cabinet (in the bathroom) will have a bank of 4, 12V, AGM deep cycle batteries. I would really like others to weigh in (pun intended :lol: ) on this issue because it's so important for safe towing! I am still considering flipping the kitchen and bathroom areas to move the bulk of the weight up front. Opinions?

Padilen - Absolutely. The plan is to immediately replace the roof vents with fantastic fans. I can source the fans and install them MUCH cheaper than the dealer quoted so will do that.

McDave - Thanks for the picture and explanation of what you did. Do you have a link to a post or video so I can see the process of adding an outside door? My main concern of course is creating water leaks. Thanks also for the link to the weight distribution calculator. At first glance I wasn't comprehending it very well, but I'll have a go at it again later today when I have some time to understand what I'm looking at.

Vspec - Hey to a fellow Maritimer! :shake hands: Have you heard any reviews of Mission Trailers? I had a look at your build and it's looking good.
PlaidCat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby John61CT » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:39 am

PlaidCat wrote: being built in Maine. Not sure which company is doing the actual build.
If you can get that info, even if only after delivery, please post back here. Not many known-good builders in New England get referenced here.

Also your review of the build quality when the time comes, would be appreciated.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:09 am

PlaidCat, Howdy;

Quite the ambitious build. Looks like you are doing a good job of anticipating everything.

I would like to reemphasize the bit mentioned near the top about propane stored indoors.
I live in a 5th wheel RV, my cylinders are stored in separate compartments from the living area
those areas have 10" openings underneath where the cylinders sit. The doors are NOT lockable for
emergency access. Propane detectors are installed near the floor for a reason, propane is heavier then air.

Ok, you are in Canada, so I found this for you, it may be specific to Ontario but
there are links so you can find what is more specific to your area ...
https://fuelslc.com/2016/02/inspection- ... -vehicles/

Stay safe, warm and dry.

hank
Last edited by hankaye on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions