Another Tiny Cargo Trailer Sleeper...

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Another Tiny Cargo Trailer Sleeper...

Postby Stealth TDI » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:04 pm

Hello,

I'm a longtime lurker and have been on the fence about a cargo trailer purchase for a long time. I've pulled utility trailers with my VWs for nearly 20 years. Early yesterday morning, I was taking a leisurely drive down a quiet highway and saw a silver 4x6 with a "For Sale" sign on it. Brand new, these list for more than I prefer to pay for such a small trailer. But this one was too good to pass. So I contacted the owner, made a deal, and pulled it home after finding a 2-inch ball:

The owner had only had it for a year and was using it to haul around products for a clothing business. So it's very clean inside; she even left me the carpet, which will soon have a layer of foam padding beneath it:

Now that I've made the plunge, I can see myself pulling a few overnighters in it from time to time, particularly in pursuit of some nighttime and wildlife photos. The floor is 75" long at the center; I'm 72" tall. I'm brainstorming ways to add ventilation and a window, most likely via fold-down panel at the back of the trailer. I'm not in a rush for electricity. That can wait. But I have one question for now...

There's a sticker in the back which reads, "WARNING: Do not sleep in this area. Failure to comply may result in death or serious injury." Is there really a problem with oxygen deprivation in cargo trailers? I suspect teardrop campers seal-up just as well... do they have this concern? Or is this just a blanket warning to avoid the potential of someone sleeping with a propane heater inside? The wood doesn't stink, so I don't think it's a chemical warning. Please share your thoughts.

I have more photos and a brief write-up at https://stealthgti.com/2016-homesteader ... o-trailer/.

Thanks!

Scott
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Another Tiny Cargo Trailer Sleeper...

Postby tac422 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:59 pm

It is a real concern, please read here:

www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=40667
tac422
500 Club

Postby flboy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:20 pm

I suspect that is on there because there are no vents or secondary exit. Put a nice window in it and a vent that stays open always and you will be fine at least from an oxygen perspective. It is such a small space. Maybe use a window that is also an emergency exit. The key is to not be air tight with fixed ventilation and good egress.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

Current Build CTC:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65498
Old CTC Build (sold)
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50647
YouTube Videos of Finished Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASF-x9ofMY - Interior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-pvBbyyBs - Exterior
flboy
Silver Donating Member

Postby Stealth TDI » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:07 pm

Thanks for the notes, guys! I will certainly put a set of passive vents on the sides and add a Fantastic Fan to the panel I plan to build. Progress will be slow since it's not a high priority... or fast since I'm not doing much to the trailer. :lol:
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions