HotelonWheels- Emergency Exit Window Qs

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

HotelonWheels- Emergency Exit Window Qs

Postby Margali » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:44 am

Where do people recommend getting an emergency exit window with the trim and hinge? I found a few on ebay and amazon but they didn't have a lot of details or big ones.

Has anyone added a gas strut to lift window or did something else to make it easy to open? My 5yr old can lift the littles (~20lbs) barely by grabbing under the arm pits but I doubt he could push up and hold out a window panel. He is definitely not coordinated enough to open and put in a stick to hold it open. The proposed location of window will have inside cabinet to climb on top of and fender on outside as step down. I just need to figure out how he could get window open if they are inside having nap time and we are across campsite when trailer lit up.
Margali, DH, and 3 minions

2017 Ram 1500 Lonestar, 7'x 16'x 7'h v-nose
Margali
Teardrop Advisor

Re: HotelonWheels- Emergency Exit Window Qs

Postby McDave » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:44 am

Hey Margali,
It sounds like you have a plan worked out pretty well, just in case. I have seen some of those egress windows on ebay used. I think they were hinged to fall down and out. so no worry about holding the window up. Not 100% sure about that.

Wow. Being a Parent is a scary thing these days. We used to take our naps on the shelf of the rear window while travelling at 75 mph down the highway. If you got a cut Dad would say "Put some salve on it", salve is axle grease, sometimes bacon grease. I don't remember ever taking a bath while camping as a kid, except for Mom's spit bath. Remember how great it was to smell the gasoline fumes in the back seat when Dad filled the tank? Ever play "Hookey Bob"? Where you hang on to the bumper of a car and hitch a ride to school in the snow? Or how about this one "stop that crying before I give you something to cry about". Everybody took guns to school, everyday. They were in rear window of the truck, where they belong. Knives too. Can't do anything without a pocket knife. Nobody had a phone or monitor, but you had better be home before the street lights come on. All children were "Free Range" children.
Are we doing it right?
:NC

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions