Removing window trim to insulate?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Removing window trim to insulate?

Postby Spencer88 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:54 am

Hi all,

Just picked up my new trailer - an RC 7x12. had the factory install two windows and electric, and the rest is on me. Love this forum!
Started sinking my teeth into it last night by removing most of the plywood walls. Now, I have to remove the wood where the windows are. The windows, or more so, the trim around the windows have me wondering...I obviously need to remove the trim around the windows from the inside, but is there anything to be extra cautious about? As in, when I remove the trim, will the window shift, or holy @#%, just drop out? Looks good and set in the opening, with supports, and caulked, but figured I would ask this before making a huge mistake. Thanks in advance...and thanks for all the good information and ideas on this site!
Spencer88
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Removing window trim to insulate?

Postby flboy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:55 am

I'd have to see some pics, but that inner trim should not be holding the window in. You should be fine. I'd also think that the Dicor tape (that should have been used at factory) and caulk would keep it from dropping out. Are there screws on the outside of the windows? They may be covered with a vinyl or plastic trim inserted in a channel.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Spencer88 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:19 am

I'll check this afternoon for outside screws, but agree with you that it should be held in place with tape/caulk, etc. its a standard 15" x 30" window, so I cant imagine any big surprises. Always better to check first...
the window has, and Im guessing here, probably 15 smaller screws holding the inside trim, which sandwiches the plywood.
Will go at it tonight - seems the only way to find out!
Spencer88
Teardrop Inspector

Postby J.Pierson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:06 pm

I would guess the caulking alone would easily hold the window in - even if your window is held in with the sandwiching trim ring. If you are worried about it though you could always run some masking tape over the outside of the window just in case

Sent from my LG-AS330 using Tapatalk
J.Pierson
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Spencer88 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:49 am

Just getting back to all on this...in case anyone else wonders: it was a non-issue to say the least. Along with the windows being attached to a 1"x 3" metal tube supports that were welded in place, they are also taped/caulked for weatherproofing. the inside trim ring simply pops off after backing out upwards of 15 trim screws. Actually, I'm fairly impressed with the build quality.
Anyway, thanks for the input!
Spencer88
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions