VWScott's 8.5x24 Toy Hauler Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: VWScott's 8.5x24 Toy Hauler Build

Postby VWScott » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:28 pm

not much new to document.. got the inner structure for the fuel container storage compartment done. will be able to fit 2 5 gallon containers. The main 110v power inlet is also installed. I have been waiting on some items to show up so I can finalize the cabinet design. Our Porta-poti showed up as well as our sound system. :thumbsup:

VWScott
Teardrop Inspector

Postby VWScott » Mon May 14, 2018 8:13 pm

fuel storage compartment is complete.. really liking how it turned out. got the roof AC unit installed and temporarily wired up to allow for more comfortable interior working conditions.... Also started on the TV mount in the nose of the trailer.. my wife has decided to donate our bedroom TV for the project (55"LCD) as she feels we need a new one. hopefully get most of the trailer wired and insulated this week.

VWScott
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Thu May 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Oh yeah.. That is nice. Well thought out and executed. Professional results. You get what you play for...Well Done Sir.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby VWScott » Thu May 17, 2018 7:44 pm

McDave wrote:Oh yeah.. That is nice. Well thought out and executed. Professional results. You get what you play for...Well Done Sir.

McDave

Thanks McDave.... Its a slow process, but its turning out how I am envisioning it..
VWScott
Teardrop Inspector

Postby flboy » Thu May 17, 2018 8:50 pm

Very nice work. The gas compartment looks great. Nice looking AC. I remember getting my AC running shortly after insulating so I could work in the cool also. Good plan! Hot days ahead.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby rmcrist » Fri May 18, 2018 7:32 pm

Nice work indeed! For the compartment door, where did you get that? Were there any other parts you needed to fit it to a cargo trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Postby VWScott » Sun May 20, 2018 4:55 pm

rmcrist wrote:Nice work indeed! For the compartment door, where did you get that? Were there any other parts you needed to fit it to a cargo trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got the door on Ebay.. just searched camper door and narrowed the search to condition "NEW".. it comes with the frame and keyed lock.. past that you will have to frame it in on the inside.
VWScott
Teardrop Inspector

Postby VWScott » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:42 pm

I got started on the insulation in areas where electrical will not be ran. Not pictured but i did get the whole roof insulated. I really need to figure out how i want to insulate the floor from the underside. I may talk with a spray foam company. I also completed both full size and queen size bed frames and hinge mounts. The full is just ahead of the inner wheelhouse and the queen is just behind the wheelhouse. The frames will eventually be sheeted with 5mm wood and framed with 1x8 stained wood surrounding the mattress.

VWScott
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rainier70 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:31 pm

:thumbsup:
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:13 am

OK, so these hinges have a slot that allows the bed to pivot and keep the clearance for the mattress to fit between the frame and wall when in the raised position ? And then, that gap pretty much goes away when the bed is lowered?
Genius, I tell you. Elegance through simplicity. The DIY Murphy Bed solution many have been looking for.
Nice work, VWScott.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:50 am

Possible floor insulation solution. Not cheap, but an option. Maybe. It says it covers 105 board feet. I believe that would be 105 sqft @ 1" for R-6. Guaranteed to ruin your clothes.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/HANDI-FOAM-P ... thena=true

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby VWScott » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:16 pm

McDave wrote:OK, so these hinges have a slot that allows the bed to pivot and keep the clearance for the mattress to fit between the frame and wall when in the raised position ? And then, that gap pretty much goes away when the bed is lowered?
Genius, I tell you. Elegance through simplicity. The DIY Murphy Bed solution many have been looking for.
Nice work, VWScott.

McDave

yes McDave, the wall side of the hinge is slotted and the bed frame side just slide up and down the slot as it it pivoted up and down.. was the easiest way I could see to do it. The only issue i see is the frame has to slide against the floor as it pivots up and down which will destroy the linoleum i plan to lay down.. i plan to affix a small sheet of metal or HDPE on top of the linoleum in that area to take the abuse. The queen bed in the back is going to get really close to the ceiling so I cant put down anything very thick.
VWScott
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hankaye » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:06 am

VWScott, Howdy;

Perhaps you might consider using a pair of these, depending on the distance that the
frame travels. These are installed in regular RVs for the slide out sections to run across.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-an ... 03480.html

or

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-013- ... B0031NFUHQ

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:08 am

If you were to "relieve" or round off the hard 90 degree corner and apply Teflon bearing strips and runners as Hank suggested it may eliminate the ceiling clearance issue. Or some type of rollers at the contact point?

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby VWScott » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:21 pm

McDave wrote:If you were to "relieve" or round off the hard 90 degree corner and apply Teflon bearing strips and runners as Hank suggested it may eliminate the ceiling clearance issue. Or some type of rollers at the contact point?

McDave

I do plan to round off the corners a bit which should help a lot.. the slider strips are probably made of high density polyethylene (HDPE) which I have a couple sheets of laying around.. it stay slick and almost greasy like.
VWScott
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions