Fresh water tanks

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Fresh water tanks

Postby rhelvey22 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:22 pm

Hi everyone, I’m new here but my husband and I just ordered a 8.5 x 24 car hauler and we can’t wait to get started building! I have a drawing of the fresh water tanks that ken put together, could ya’all take a look and tell us if it will work? He’s kind of a jack of all trades, but he’s never tackled a camper. Anyway, hope this works!Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rhelvey22
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Fresh water tanks

Postby McDave » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:57 pm

Yup. That should work. You will want a pressure regulator at the city water input. Keeps ya from blowing a line and filling up the trailer while you are out fishing. I have one like this, you can spend more or less.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Water ... 124VP.html
Welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on your progress. We like pictures :D

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:05 pm

I think he is pretty close. Two things I would bring up is: many RV water fill inlets have the check valve built in as do the pumps. So unless you want redundancy and some people do, you probably don't need check valves.
The other thing is you probably don't need to tie your vents together. My fill inlet has the vent built in and the other tank would just need a baffle or riser with a filter of some sort. Flboy(Don) did his much like this, he can probably shed more light on the subject of dual tanks on opposite sides of the trailer. Welcome to the Madness :? looking forward to your build!
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby rhelvey22 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:39 pm

Thanks for the replies! Since his army days, ken is into redundancy, so we will go that direction. Lol! You would think for a guy with one leg he would want to do things the easy way. Not! Will post pics when we pick up the trailer, can’t wait to see my vstar 1100 sitting in it as we go on a trip. I see many of you guys ride motorcycles, I do too it’s my daily driver. Thanks again!

rhelvey22
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rhelvey22 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:40 pm

McDave wrote:Yup. That should work. You will want a pressure regulator at the city water input. Keeps ya from blowing a line and filling up the trailer while you are out fishing. I have one like this, you can spend more or less.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Water ... 124VP.html
Welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on your progress. We like pictures :D

McDave

Thanks for this, we actually kept the one we had for our toy hauler so one thing we don’t have to buy!

rhelvey22
Teardrop Inspector

Postby troubleScottie » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:03 pm

Your tank fill may not work. Water may run out the vent prior to filling the opposite tank.

You need/should have drains somewhere. You can use the pump to drain the tanks, but values are easier. Also, the one way value might have to be moved to prevent prevent water being retained in the lines due to vacuum/airlock.

Not sure about the pump placement. My reading is that a pump can push water up to a specific height which is reasonably high, but may have difficulty lifting the water to the pump's level. You might want to have the pump lower.

Also you have no place for hot water -- although that is not necessary.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Hader » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:16 am

Iconfabul8 wrote: The other thing is you probably don't need to tie your vents together. My fill inlet has the vent built in and the other tank would just need a baffle or riser with a filter of some sort. Flboy(Don) did his much like this, he can probably shed more light on the subject of dual tanks on opposite sides of the trailer.

I agree with Iconfabul8.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:43 am

Iconfabul8 wrote:I think he is pretty close. Two things I would bring up is: many RV water fill inlets have the check valve built in as do the pumps. So unless you want redundancy and some people do, you probably don't need check valves.
The other thing is you probably don't need to tie your vents together. My fill inlet has the vent built in and the other tank would just need a baffle or riser with a filter of some sort. Flboy(Don) did his much like this, he can probably shed more light on the subject of dual tanks on opposite sides of the trailer. Welcome to the Madness :? looking forward to your build!

I did do saddle tanks over the wheels. They are each plumbed independent in terms of the fill and vents. I have a fill on each side with vent. One tank is the primary near the pump and distribution valves. The other tank just feeds into the output of the other at a "T" just before the pump. They both draw down at the same rate and will level themselves off automatically. So although what you have drawn may work, it is more complex than needed.

I can fill one tank full and in an hour or so they are both half full.. Likewise, I have the drain on one tank (primary) and they both drain. You only need one connection between the tanks under the trailer and that is the output of one to the output of the other just before the pump and only put a drain on one.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby rhelvey22 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:46 pm

troubleScottie wrote:Your tank fill may not work. Water may run out the vent prior to filling the opposite tank.

You need/should have drains somewhere. You can use the pump to drain the tanks, but values are easier. Also, the one way value might have to be moved to prevent prevent water being retained in the lines due to vacuum/airlock.

Not sure about the pump placement. My reading is that a pump can push water up to a specific height which is reasonably high, but may have difficulty lifting the water to the pump's level. You might want to have the pump lower.

Also you have no place for hot water -- although that is not necessary.

Thanks for this. Drain, check, he forgot to draw that in. I did not know that about the pump, glad we didn’t try it our way! Whew, glad we asked this question!

rhelvey22
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rhelvey22 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:47 pm

Hader wrote:
Iconfabul8 wrote: The other thing is you probably don't need to tie your vents together. My fill inlet has the vent built in and the other tank would just need a baffle or riser with a filter of some sort. Flboy(Don) did his much like this, he can probably shed more light on the subject of dual tanks on opposite sides of the trailer.

I agree with Iconfabul8.

Cool, that will save us a hole in the trailer. Yay!

rhelvey22
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rhelvey22 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:50 pm

flboy wrote:
Iconfabul8 wrote:I think he is pretty close. Two things I would bring up is: many RV water fill inlets have the check valve built in as do the pumps. So unless you want redundancy and some people do, you probably don't need check valves.

I did do saddle tanks over the wheels. They are each plumbed independent in terms of the fill and vents. I have a fill on each side with vent. One tank is the primary near the pump and distribution valves. The other tank just feeds into the output of the other at a "T" just before the pump. They both draw down at the same rate and will level themselves off automatically. So although what you have drawn may work, it is more complex than needed.

I can fill one tank full and in an hour or so they are both half full.. Likewise, I have the drain on one tank (primary) and they both drain. You only need one connection between the tanks under the trailer and that is the output of one to the output of the other just before the pump and only put a drain on one.

Boy, you sure do know your stuff! Sounds like a better way, thanks. :)

rhelvey22
Teardrop Inspector

Postby flboy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Here is a napkin sketch. This is how I did it and it works great for me. You just have a gravity fill on both sides which includes a vent. Whatever side you choose, you also have the city water connection in the same panel as the gravity fill and vent. I have the one way valves and city water connection on the side with the pump.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby rhelvey22 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:28 pm

flboy wrote:Here is a napkin sketch. This is how I did it and it works great for me. You just have a gravity fill on both sides which includes a vent. Whatever side you choose, you also have the city water connection in the same panel as the gravity fill and vent. I have the one way valves and city water connection on the side with the pump.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Thank you, this will work nicely. More holes in the trailer but I’m sure we will get lots of practice!

rhelvey22
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rhelvey22 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:33 pm

I have another question if y’all don’t mind.
Can we vent the black tank and the gray tank through the same outlet pipe?

rhelvey22
Teardrop Inspector

Postby flboy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:30 pm

rhelvey22 wrote:I have another question if y’all don’t mind.
Can we vent the black tank and the gray tank through the same outlet pipe?

I am doing it that way and it seems to work fine. I actually just ran a flexible hose from the Gray water tank venbt connection behind the vanity and connected it to the BW vent stack at the base. I will see if I can find a pic.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions