Thoughts on this portable power box??

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Thoughts on this portable power box??

Postby mlowry7 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:16 pm

I'm not an electrician by any means, so this seems like a simple solution for shore power. I can see a simple power strip run for to one side for incidental plug in (phone chargers, etc), small microwave and small fridge. The other breaker for the roof top air. Any thoughts on this?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/CEP-Construc ... 3=&veh=sem
mlowry7
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Thoughts on this portable power box??

Postby troubleScottie » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:08 am

Technically it should work. Most likely you can use other power strips or arrangements like the DeWalt radio. The addition of breakers makes it a quite a bit safer. And also gives you more wattage range -- most power strips are only 10 or 15 amp total.

There are some other issues.

It is relatively large -- and will take up space in the trailer. Left outside, it may grow legs. So this may not be an issue if this is not a true teardrop. Also the power cords stick out from the base. Although you can bend them back or use low profile plugs, this might increase the effective size.

You might have to make sure there is nothing on top of it.

Although they are for work sites, I am not sure how water proof they are. So they may or may not be safe outdoors.

To use the outlets, this will have to near by or at least accessible. So it might have to be in the galley area ie for microwave. This might make inaccessible for something in the cabin. A distribution center plus wiring plus outlets would not have that issue.

Although one is camping, one advantage of the trailer is once things are wired, there is little need to plug or re-plug any device. One could address the above issue by moving the box around. Not optimal, and irritating if you forget or need to move things around in the dark or rain.

You will have power cords sitting around inside the trailer if anything is desired away from the power center. A bit cluttered. Then again, I lived about the same way for several months during a remodel.

Also, you need a method of getting the cord out of the trailer with all the doors closed. (leaving doors open to have power is an invite for thieves) Cutting a hole in the side wall has been done for simple extension cords or simple power strips.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:44 am

mlowry7, Howdy;

What I noticed when I read the write-up for that box was it is intended (wired),
for 240vac (50 - 100 amps). from a generator. Well generally, most folks that
camp with gensets are out putting 120vac (30 amp). It's a size thing as the smaller/lighter
generators are more transportable.
Then there is the size/weight, extra cords, etc. things already mentioned above.

hank
Last edited by hankaye on Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby John61CT » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:48 am

OP is about shore power @ 240V from a NEMA L14 twistlick outlet.

Nothing to do with gennies afaict.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:18 pm

Well I don't hate it. But if your plan is to plug in at RV sites you will probably need to change or adapt the power cord plug to the standard RV 30amp or 50 amp male.
This is what you may typically find at KOA etc.

You can get adapters to match just about any combo, but they are not cheap. I have an assortment for gennys, domestic dryer and range/welder outlets etc. I think I paid about 35.00ea.
So, you are 200-300 into this set up. A "power center" like PD4045 or WFCO8955 cost about 150-200 and gives AC/DC converter and charger, AC breakers and DC fuses. You would still need a battery, shore power input connector, power cord and of coarse wiring and switches/ outlets for whatever circuits you desired, and installation. But if you plan on using trailer frequently for normal camping operations in the long run a real system would probably serve you better. Just my humble opinion, You are the Captain of your ship, build it to suit you.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby NO David! » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:38 am

Consider installing a standard RV power center like this:
http://www.bestconverter.com/WFCO-8725P-Power-Center_p_50.html#.WsI3eX9G2Uk
These are what typically come in a popup camper for example. There are much fancier units, but mine handles my simple 120V circuit, A main breaker for the whole system, then a sub for the 120V circuit, and all the 12 Volt supplies in my trailer with fused protection, as well as recharges my battery. Really handy.

Get a RV style outlet for the exterior, proper wiring, and you're set.
https://www.amazon.com/ParkPower-15A-20A-Power-Inlets/dp/B000NUYZOE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522677853&sr=8-1&keywords=marinco+20+amp

Edit: Oops, just realized McDave gave the right answer in his details... 8)
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions