Cassette Toilet

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Cassette Toilet

Postby mlowry7 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:06 pm

Anybody have one of these? If so, what are your likes, dislikes, and thoughts on ease of installation? Thinking of ordering one for my build.

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 1.33.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 1.33.49 PM.png (88.98 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
mlowry7
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Cassette Toilet

Postby flboy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:14 pm

mlowry7 wrote:Anybody have one of these? If so, what are your likes, dislikes, and thoughts on ease of installation? Thinking of ordering one for my build.

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 1.33.49 PM.png

I do not have one of those and they were a bit pricey as I recall, but I think they are a very nice option given you can empty anywhere into a toilet, outhouse, or etc. , and there is no BW tank to install underneath. Many positive benefits. Better than a simple portable toilet also.

I already had my BW tank for free and the Toilet was not that expensive, so I did not consider it too seriously... but if the cost is not a deal breaker, I think they are worth serious consideration. As I recall, you can get different configurations so the cassette is removable from outside whether you mount port or starboard side and want to face forward or backward in the trailer (or maybe not.. just face opposite direction?). Another cool thing is you can purchase spare cassettes, so if you get full and are not near a place to empty, just pull out the cassette and insert another. Put the full cassette in the bed of the truck for dumping later. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You will have to cut the side of the trailer to make an access panel and if wider than 15" (or cannot line up between studs), maybe requires some cutting and welding on wall studs, but given no tank to install underneath, maybe a break-even on installation vs. the traditional toilet with BW holding tank?
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby CoventryKid » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:38 pm

Looks very much like the toilets that the caravans/motorhomes use in the UK. Functionality very similar to most porta potties - separate, walk black tank to dump station, dump, etc.

At the Dusseldorf RV show last summer, a company demonstrated their self-cleaning toilet machine - insert your cassette, pay some coin, push the button and a few minutes later your cassette is cleaned and sanitized. Interesting part starts about 1:30 in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSzEqEGsuZc&t=87s

Civilized!

Doubt we'll ever see this technology on this side of the pond.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby Dano-Mich » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:23 pm

I picked up a used one on eBay for my build last November. I didn't want to cut yet another hole in the side so simply installed it in my v-nose and empty it from the inside. I got it for like $40 and thought it might have cracks. Sure enough, one showed itself after we left for the trip, but it was in the water storage tank, not removable black tank so no big deal. We just manually poured anti-freeze in after each use (our trip was in Wyoming in December). I'm liking it so far and it was nice not to have to find somewhere to empty our black tank in January on our way home.

Where I mounted it, I can easily remove the tank while standing outside the door. I can't think of any downsides except the price if you buy it new.
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jscwerve » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:45 am

Those are a fancy version of what I use. Work well enough for me and the better half. Use the right chemicals and it doesn't even stink after a few days. I use the Thetford Curve with the mounted base plate.

http://www.thetford.com/product/porta-potti-curve/
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby jandmz » Fri May 04, 2018 10:51 pm

Our '03 Coleman popup had the Thetford C2 model, which had the manual flush. In addition to the cassette tank (BW tank) there is a "fresh water tank" that holds the flush water. The C2 has a big knob that you turn a few times to flush the waste into the BW tank. (There are also electric flush versions, but I never used one of those.)

The big advantage to the cassette toilet over a fixed black water tank is that on Sunday morning, when everybody else is lining up at the dump station, you can just slide the cassette out of its holder, take it into the restroom, and empty it into a toilet (or do it when you get home). Dumping is a fairly easy and clean process.

The main thing to watch out for is winterizing. Be sure to empty the cassette. You also have to empty the flush water tank, the flush water line and be sure to pump all the water out of the manual (or electric) flush pump.

When I build my TTT, I will be looking for one of these.
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions