Cargo Trailer "Basement"

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Cargo Trailer "Basement"

Postby Kazrael » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:55 am

I am finally getting back to where I can build something so, as is usual, having many ideas floating around in my head. Right now I have several quotes out and want to make sure one particular idea I have makes sense before I actually order the trailer.

I searched the forum and did not find this same idea so excuse me if it has already been covered.

What I was thinking of doing is getting the trailer with 7'6" interior height, no cargo door. One foot of this height would be the 'basement' area where I could mount tanks, run wires, etc., and the rest of the approx 6'6" would be living space.

Several reasons for this. We like to camp in remote places and the belly being mostly enclosed would protect the tanks etc. . Also fall and early winter camping is done sometimes and was thinking that the enclosed tanks would keep them warmer, prevent freezing.

Besides the added weight of the second floor does anyone see any problems with this?
Kazrael
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Cargo Trailer "Basement"

Postby hankaye » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:52 pm

Kazrael, Howdy;

Interesting way to go about it. Probably need to cut a step for going in an out at the door
out of the raised portion. If you use an RV type heater then you can duct the warm air
through the raised portion and strap the water pipes to the sides of the duct work. That's
how it's done in my RV (I live in it 365/year). You'll need to cut some holes for the drain
lines so you can hook up the the valves and install the ends to couple the drain hose to.

Don't write off the back door(s), to quickly, always handy to have a second way out if needed
in a hurry ... or a way to gain some less awkward contortionist like way to get something out of
your "basement" that migrated to the back ... they always do ya know.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CoventryKid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Sounds like an interesting idea but I guess my first question is: What size of trailer are you planning?
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby Kazrael » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:07 pm

Thought about the step. The water pipes strapped to the duct work will definitely work.

Yeah, things can migrate. Was thinking of maybe just adding some RV style cargo doors to the back.

CoventryKid, the size I was leaning towards was 7x18.
Kazrael
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CoventryKid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:19 pm

So is your plan to have a 12" basement in the entire 7x18?

After the trailer is built, how will you access the basement? Exterior doors, interior floor hatches?

126 cu ft of basement - that's a lot of space that you really wont have easy access to. By that I mean some part of the 12" basement will be support for the raised floor. For example if you use 2x2 lumber under a new plywood floor, your 12" basement is now 10.5" or less - how do you move around in that if you want to run a new circuit, water line, etc?

Any chance you plan your interior layout so tanks are inside cabinets, under furniture, etc. (My small 15-gal water tank is under our sofa)? Then you wouldn't need such a tall trailer.

Just thinking out loud. Being the devil's advocate. Hope this helps.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby Kazrael » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:22 pm

Yes, the entire trailer.

I was thinking some exterior doors, turn some of it into storage. Yes, interior hatches in the floor to get to the tanks, wiring, etc. .

I have never actually inspected a trailer like an Arctic Fox or Outdoor RV that is supposed to be enclosed. Not sure how those are to get to for maintenance.

Because of what we like to do, boondock for long periods, was wanting to have 60 gallons of water split into two 30 gallon tanks. Putting them in closets, under bed, etc. would cause me to loose that storage space.

Please continue thinking out loud. The devil's advocate approach, for me, is the best way to go back and forth on ideas.

If I get a moment I will rough draw what is in my head and on graph paper with Sketchup and upload.
Kazrael
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:32 pm

I have actually put a lot of thought into just such a build. I live in a cold climate and would love to be able to shower In The winter and not have to flush the toilet with antifreeze. Some Motorhomes are built much like this, you might learn a few tricks from studying them.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Padilen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:21 am

I think it you'll find that a 12" raise needs more than one step. If it's 12" of room in basement you'd need about 14" of height loss. If the CT is on 24" centers, and you follow that, you'd get about 2'-7' storage. Just access from one side. Or center support and 2'-3.5, access from both sides.
The area lost for steps may interfere with your floor plan in an 18'. 32" is a comfortable door opening, so about 32" by around what? perhaps 24"into trailer.
Have you thought about dropping tanks through CT's floor, to bottom of frame rails(or?). Insulating the bottom of trailer, and then adding a new floor covering tanks. Less basement, less height. Only raised where needed? Then removable floor, or panels for access. If a cabinet is over a tank just custom the cabinet so it's correct height?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Kazrael » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:20 am

Padilen, the step and size is something I have been mulling over and need to draw it out. Was even thinking the exterior door itself could possibly be raised and then just have to deal with exterior steps and or just one interior step.

Dropping to the bottom of the frame rails, great idea. It would give a few more inches of clearance. The only problem I see with that, how to securely attach everything. It would seem welding supports to the frame would be the best answer. Strips from one rail to the next to support new insulated bottom. My problem with that is that I am neither a welder nor have a welder. Course buying new tools is always great, as is learning.
Kazrael
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hankaye » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Kazrael, Howdy;

When my RV was built they attached the tanks to the bottom and then enclosed
the whole shebang with coroplast the corrugated cardboard made of plastic best
seen as campaign signage during elections it does come in convenient 4'X8' sheets.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coroplast-4 ... /205351385

All of the plumbing and electric runs are down there. The one time I had to get in
there to do some work I just used a box cutter to cut a trap door in it then taped it
up when I was done. Works very well for me. Allows me to keep my trailer to a 6'6"
interior height which ='s less wind resistance when towing and catches less wind
when the cross winds blow severely.

More to think about I reckon ... :thinking:

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Kazrael » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:08 am

I have not thought about coroplast. The concerns with that is how to attach it while maintaining some type of insulating value. Does the open edges get dirt and water in them or are they recessed enough into the frame when hung to cover the edges? I am assuming the seams are sealed somehow, otherwise you would think water could get between it and the wood floor and just stay there.
Kazrael
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hankaye » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:11 pm

Kazrael, Howdy;

Can not say how others are put together but mine was done with the back section laid first then
the next forward section overlapped by about 6", so on and so forth... The sheets are fastened
to the frame across the front and rear as well as along the sides using 1" long self tapping screws
with a straight slot. They are spaced about 18" from one to the next. There is no treatment along
the edges, I'm just guessing but I think that any moisture that may intrude probably evaporates
before it can become a problem. All in all it's appears to be working well, I've been living in it since
the end of April 2011 and it was built in 2008. Bought it in Utah, traveled from there to here Southern
N.M. and back to Utah then back here and have stayed put for the last 6 years here.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rmcrist » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:44 am

I like the idea! Was considering the same for my next one. Have you considered using light gauge metal studs to keep the weight down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kazrael » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:21 pm

No, have not considered metal studs.

I am almost to the point of ordering the trailer. Have decided to go with 7' height and 6" basement. Just enough room to run everything. As far as tanks, am thinking that most of them will be in that space and whatever hangs down I can make a 'box' to go around it to keep it enclosed.
Kazrael
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:04 am

I think Coventry Kid was onto something for this type of build. I have thought alot about it and I would put a couple inches of insulation over the whole floor and sheet over it. I think Irrowe did this and he even had his door raised from the factory to make room for the insulation height. I would build the trailer with insulated access doors in the side for the sewer valves, water filler, and anything else I wanted to access from outside that I want to keep warm. The water and holding tanks would set on the floor and the bathroom would be elevated enough to drain into them. So a high ceiling would still be needed. Everything would be much more accessible and everything would stay nice and toasty. The other thing this would do is give more head room to put bunk beds or storage up high in the living area. Anyhow, That's how I would do it.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions