ARB-like awning off v-nose options

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

ARB-like awning off v-nose options

Postby Dano-Mich » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:47 pm

Considering putting up a small awning on the v-nose - good idea or not? Since this will be the dedicated cooking area it might be nice to have a small awning if/when its raining.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B075ZRMJJT/?coliid=I2CO5FJG7XPORZ&colid=2BM42H2XSVD3C&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This 4 1/2 foot awning would fit perfectly on one side of my v-nose. What options would work to mount it to the side (not roof)? Ideas, suggestions, and criticisms welcome.

Pic of the front of my trailer:
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Re: ARB-like awning off v-nose options

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:01 pm

That would be the last place I would put an awning. Unless the rain comes straight down you will still get wet with only a 4' awning. Plus you have the tongue to contend with. I would mount the awning over the service door and make it a decent size, like 8 feet or more. This keeps you dry and the inside of the trailer from getting wet when the storm hits. There are channel brackets that can be attached to the trailer wall to hold a table for cooking or serving. Just my thoughts, but that was what you asked for. Some people have mounted a Bat wing awning on their trailers. They are good fro corner coverage.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby beachguy005 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:07 pm

If I were to mount that on the side rather than the roof, I would just use pairs of double L brackets. One L that mounts on the wall pointing up the wall and over the roof with a second L attached to it mounted up so it will look like the l bracket on that awning. Seems like the bolts on the awning will slide lengthwise so you can bolt the Ls into the wall studs. You could also have the wall L facing out from the wall but your awning will be out a bit farther.
If you look at the "installs easy" pic you can imagine the the mounting foot of the roof rack being an L bracket instead and connected to the upper L bracket without the roof rack crossbar.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby Dano-Mich » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:57 pm

I realize its a small awning - don't want to deal with a big awning just need something to mostly cover my 4' cook table/station. My propane is accessed via a cargo door on the other side of the V so my hose would easily reach. Also, the tongue just acts to block access from the one side to keep people from walking through the cook area. I was mostly concerned with how it would survive while driving, etc., and how to mount. Thanks for the feedback so far.

If I used double L brackets that went up and over the roof those would be fairly large. Probably not a big deal if I mounted smaller ones facing out on the wall and left a gap there.
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:05 am

Dano-Mich, Howdy;

Wind like water is a force that most folks underestimate. The wall thickness is only about 0.030"
You will not only be dealing with a constant assault from the front but indirect gusting winds from
the side so, you will need to beef up the mounting points. I'd suggest something that is fastened to
the studs (ribs), that you can securely mount your awning to.

I do agree that the small surface area will not do much for relief from either sun nor rain. Perhaps
a section of pipe wielded to the tongue that you could slide a patio umbrella shaft into??? :thinking:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions