The Adventure Begins: 6x12 V-Nose Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: The Adventure Begins: 6x12 V-Nose Conversion

Postby McDave » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:57 am

Now that is a score! I am in the same boat here in Montana. We had our first frost last week as well. I have a couple different heat sources, The rooftop A/C has heat as well, and I have a Wave catalytic heater and a small ceramic heater.
My 6 x 12 stays pretty warm without much problem even at -20 and below with the ceramic heater, and the catalytic heater is great when boondocking. The rooftop heater is OK down to 20-30 but it wont keep up much lower than that.
I love ebay for bargain hunting, You never know when you will get lucky. looking forward to seeing your results with the diesel heater.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby kirkupnorth » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:41 pm

hankaye wrote:kirkupnorth, Howdy;

PLEASE, be very careful with the exhaust routing. I would never park next to a truck with a low exhaust
at a Truck Stop as the noxious fumes rise and will find their way inside through the smallest of openings.
Highly recommend you install a CO detector. Please be safe.

hank

Yup, we are definitely installing a CO detector. We're all about safety first. :D
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Ready For Some Cold Weather Camping

Postby kirkupnorth » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:46 am

It's been pretty wintry this past week in northern Minnesota. On Tuesday we had four inches of snow, and it's been cold all week. Definitely time to finish up the camper tasks needed for cold weather camping!

We started with finishing the under floor insulation. We used 2" thick, foil backed rigid insulation. To install, we cut insulation pieces to fit between the steel crossmembers of the floor. We then foil taped all of the pieces to the under carriage. We also bought some big washers so we could screw the pieces up into the subfloor.

We finished up the diesel heater install. We wanted the ability to continue using that cabinet for storage, so we built a box around the heater. If we ever need to get to it, we just need to remove a few screws.
156413 156414

The heater came with a round black vent cover. We installed that into the door. We thought we'd hate how it looks, but it's okay. The door opens and closes easily, and fits over the metal hot air vent just fine.
156415 156417

This little diesel furnace works great!! We tested it yesterday morning. At 10:00 AM the temperature inside the camper was 24 degrees. We turned the furnace on to warm things up. We went back out to check progress one hour later. At 11:00 AM the temperature inside the camper was already up to 65 degrees. We're really pleased with that performance.

The final step, of course, was a combination smoke/CO alarm. We chose this one for several reasons: It's small (4 inch diameter and 1-1/2 inch height), it uses AA batteries, and it has a photoelectric sensor for smoke and an electrochemical sensor for CO. If interested, it's at Amazone here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D5TQQNV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still need to make some insulated window coverings-- maybe I'll work on that this weekend. We're excited that we can now use the camper in cold weather.
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby low277 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:06 pm

I just noticed that you are from Minnesota also. I am very curious about how well your new heating system works. I have been around the Webesto units, which are very expensive but work well. So if yours works well I would certainly be interested in getting one.

Very nice job on your trailer!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby kirkupnorth » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:54 pm

low277 wrote:I just noticed that you are from Minnesota also. I am very curious about how well your new heating system works. I have been around the Webesto units, which are very expensive but work well. So if yours works well I would certainly be interested in getting one.

Very nice job on your trailer!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Yeah, we're very pleased with how this heater is working so far. We got very lucky, ($62), on an ebay auction for a brand new one. Here's the one we bought:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-V-2KW-FJH-2-Air-Diesel-Heater-with-Muffle-for-Trucks-Motor-homes-Boats/323418914102?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It's nice quality and came with absolutely everything needed to install it. It's surprisingly quiet. So far we've been running it on diesel fuel, but it can run on kerosene, too. It seems like it will be able to handle just about anything Minnesota decides to throw at us, (within reason!). As I said in the post, it went from 24 degrees to 65 degrees in one hour.

All of our family members live in the TwinCities, so there are times we need to stay overnight. This heater will allow us to do that, even in the winter. We'd much rather be in our own camper than in the brother-in-law's extra bedroom!
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:40 pm

kirkupnorth, Howdy;

How do you have the exhaust routed? Something I'm normally concerned about.
:thinking: ='s me being curious.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kirkupnorth » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:14 pm

hankaye wrote:kirkupnorth, Howdy;

How do you have the exhaust routed? Something I'm normally concerned about.
:thinking: ='s me being curious.

hank

The exhaust is routed under the trailer, and coming out the side. When it first starts up and is clearing condensation, it gives a little puff we can see about two feet from the side of the trailer. The exhaust is totally clearing the trailer. We're like you -- don't want to mess around with safety!
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby kirkupnorth » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:41 pm

After building all spring and into the summer, and then actually doing some camping, we're really thrilled that we did this project. The financial investment is pretty modest, but the emotional investment is HUGE! We don't want the camper sitting out all winter, having snow and ice build up on the roof. Unfortunately, it's too tall to fit into our pole barn. So, we decided it was time to build a lean-to off the back of the barn so that the camper can be protected.

For now we're just going to use a heavy tarp on the rafters. Next summer we'll install metal roofing. We built it to be 10' x 20', and the camper fits in there fine. Some nice peace of mind.
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:21 am

That is a great idea. Just getting it under cover will help to slow the ageing process. We had over 100" last winter and it was a very long and cold winter. I had thought about putting the trailer in the barn but I was in the middle of some projects and by the time that was done the snow was already waist deep. Maybe this year if I don't need the space to work. And if the weather holds for a while longer. Good Luck with your lean-to carport, You might want to consider a wall along the 20' side, could help with the sun/rain/snow?

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby kirkupnorth » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:21 pm

McDave wrote:That is a great idea. Just getting it under cover will help to slow the ageing process. We had over 100" last winter and it was a very long and cold winter. I had thought about putting the trailer in the barn but I was in the middle of some projects and by the time that was done the snow was already waist deep. Maybe this year if I don't need the space to work. And if the weather holds for a while longer. Good Luck with your lean-to carport, You might want to consider a wall along the 20' side, could help with the sun/rain/snow?

McDave

Yeah, McDave, I agree with you about eventually walling in the long side. Thankfully, that side faces East, so it can wait for a bit. You're so right -- it just sucks when the snow sneaks up on you!
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

The CTC is ready to haul some toys!

Postby kirkupnorth » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:58 pm

We finally got a couple of enduros, and now our camper is ready to haul some toys. We were very relieved that the bikes actually fit. It's pretty crowded in there, but both bikes have clearance on all sides. Not bad for a 6'X12' camper conversion!

We shopped like crazy for stable tie downs that don't take a lot of space. We'll add some straps to tie down the rear of the bikes, as well. My husband welded some captured nuts onto plates that he installed on the underside of the camper floor. That way, the tie downs will be quick and easy to remove when we get to our destination and are ready for some camping.

We are so excited to be ready to haul! Winter has come to northern Minnesota earlier, colder, and snowier than most years, so we're planning a warm weather getaway over Christmas break. We're looking forward to actually riding the bikes before April.

We're going to head out to the Las Vegas area for a few days over Christmas, and have a little fun! 8)
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:44 pm

kirkupnorth wrote:After building all spring and into the summer, and then actually doing some camping, we're really thrilled that we did this project. The financial investment is pretty modest, but the emotional investment is HUGE! We don't want the camper sitting out all winter, having snow and ice build up on the roof. Unfortunately, it's too tall to fit into our pole barn. So, we decided it was time to build a lean-to off the back of the barn so that the camper can be protected.

For now we're just going to use a heavy tarp on the rafters. Next summer we'll install metal roofing. We built it to be 10' x 20', and the camper fits in there fine. Some nice peace of mind.
No such thing as too tall!
I can get mine in it's about 9'"-7". Pole barn door is 9'. Takes some doing, rattles my nerves. But I'm not leaving it outside for winter.
Would like to do an addition like yours, would be a lot less nerve racking.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby fishboat » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:00 am

kirkupnorth wrote:

I live in southern Wisconsin..cold and snowy here also..and at least a month+ early. Just a thought..for all the hassle of securing a tarp up there(without low spots), having a potential..likely..snow load (long term NOAA weather prediction says a warmer and wetter winter = snow..probably), the snow load melting and leaving water and increased weight in the low spots..more snow...it just doesn't go well. Been there, tried that. Combine the beginning to end work of installing the tarp and trying to maintain it over the winter..I'd do the metal roof right away. Or maybe translucent, fluted fiberglass(lets light in) install. It won't take long to install..and would be less total work overall than doing the tarp, and you only have to mess with it once. If you/we lived in St Louis it would be different..but up here..

fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby kirkupnorth » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:12 pm

fishboat wrote:
kirkupnorth wrote:

I live in southern Wisconsin..cold and snowy here also..and at least a month+ early. Just a thought..for all the hassle of securing a tarp up there(without low spots), having a potential..likely..snow load (long term NOAA weather prediction says a warmer and wetter winter = snow..probably), the snow load melting and leaving water and increased weight in the low spots..more snow...it just doesn't go well. Been there, tried that. Combine the beginning to end work of installing the tarp and trying to maintain it over the winter..I'd do the metal roof right away. Or maybe translucent, fluted fiberglass(lets light in) install. It won't take long to install..and would be less total work overall than doing the tarp, and you only have to mess with it once. If you/we lived in St Louis it would be different..but up here..

Right now we're saving the $$ for a winter camping trip, but we'll do it up right come summer.
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Christmas Vacation Camping Trip

Postby kirkupnorth » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:06 am

We took our first long distance camping trip with the CTC. Although the camper performed flawlessly, the trip was not without its problems.

We had decided to go out to Red Rock Canyon near Las Vegas. With a possible government shut down looming, we wanted to make sure that the campground at Red Rock Canyon would be open. We were informed that national parks would not be affected by the shut down, and all would be open. So, we hit the road. After 26 hours of driving, we made it to Red Rock campground -- it is a beautiful facility with shade structures, picnic tables, and fire rings. Here is a typical campsite:

Unfortunately, we were met with a sign saying that due to the government shut down, the campground was closed. I about lost it! So, we went in to talk to the host. He informed us that Red Rock is NOT a national campground, but is managed by the Bureau of Land Management through the Department of the Interior, and that branch was closed for the shut down. What a massive disappointment. The campground looked absolutely perfect!

So, we started scrambling for somewhere to stay. Because of a Las Vegas statute, the RV parks in the area only accept store bought campers with the camper association stickers. Before leaving home, we had watched a video of an area with a few free boondocking sites. That video is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96njlwgMOhY

We headed out there, and were able to get a spot. It is beautiful and peaceful, but very rugged. The gal in the video describes the road as "hard packed gravel". Wrong!! It is basically loose rubble. Getting back there was a challenge, but once there we had a place to camp. Here's our site:

Overall, we had a good stay. There is absolutely nowhere in the city of Las Vegas where you can get water, though, so that was a problem. We did get some riding in on our new enduros, and that was the goal.

The drive home was a killer. It took 36 hours, due to the weather. At one point, we had been driving for five hours and had gone only 51 miles. We arrived home to find that there had been a massive snowstorm the night before and our area had received 19 inches of snow. We had to leave the truck and the camper out at the road, and hike in to the house. Our driveway is nearly a half mile long and some of the drifts are 4+ feet deep. That was not an easy hike! Hubby is out there now trying to open things up with the snowblower on the tractor. This is definitely the down-side of Northern Minnesota.

But---the camper performed flawlessly for winter camping, and that's what counts. Also, the bike hold downs worked perfectly through some very rough driving. I can't recommend those enough! Red Rock canyon is beautiful, and I would highly recommend it when the campground is open.
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions