The Adventure Begins: 6x12 V-Nose Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: The Adventure Begins: 6x12 V-Nose Conversion

Postby kirkupnorth » Tue May 08, 2018 7:30 pm

Wow, those things really put out some bright light!

It was rainy here today, so he got some pre-installation work done for the windows.

Truck update: The insurance adjuster says it's totalled, which is not a huge surprise to us. We really need the truck, though, and there are only 130,000 miles on that PowerStroke diesel engine so we're hoping to buy it back and get it fixed. It's all been a massive pain in the neck but our ultimate goal is to get to keep our much-loved truck, and it looks like that just might happen. Yay!
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby kirkupnorth » Tue May 15, 2018 8:17 pm

Some progress to report!

We've been busy, but still going kind of slow and trying to pay attention to the details. Here's where we are on the interior. We finished insulating, got the 120V and 12V wiring all roughed in, and installed the 7-way plug with junction box. We wanted that so the camper can charge off the truck batteries when we're on the road. We reinstalled the osb and primed the interior. The trailer came with that water-resistant osb, so we decided to get some oil-based KILZ primer on it. We're planning to install marine carpet on the lower part of the walls, so we went with the KILZ so that the adhesive will stick.

154436 154432

We installed a hatch for a small Frigidaire window AC unit, and trimmed around it on the interior. When we need AC, we'll just open the hatch and stick the unit in there. We've also installed two windows -- one on each side toward the rear. That's where the fold up beds will be. The windows aren't huge, but we're happy with them. We installed a porch light and a ramp light. The ramp light will also serve as a reverse light.

154433 154435 154434

So, things are looking up! It's really fun to be at the point where we're actually building the interior, as opposed to taking things apart! :)

We're waiting for the LED lights for the ceiling and the MaxxAir fan. We're in a very rural area of northern Minnesota, so deliveries usually take some extra time.

This project is the most fun we've had in a while! I'll try to update every few days or so.
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Tue May 15, 2018 9:04 pm

Looking good. It is exciting when the interior work starts and all the packages start to arrive. You enjoy. Very nice solution for your AC. I like it. When you need it, you have it.

Thanks for sharing ths pics.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Joel.brian » Tue May 15, 2018 9:14 pm

How big did you make the a/c hole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Wed May 16, 2018 2:15 am

I had a lot of fun designing and building mine as well. It is amazing how quickly the whole thing snowballed from motorcycle trailer to toy hauler/ camper. I bought the trailer to use for hauling tools and equipment for my business. Never really considered trailering my bikes anywhere. Then I met some folks who had the high end toy haulers and remembered how much fun camping is. I towed the bare bones trailer with my conversion van and camped at a rally or two and the seed was sown. That was 2-3yrs ago. The money I have saved on hotels etc. has pretty much paid for the entire project. It took a long time to get the Mrs. on board. Her idea of camping was a hotel. But now that its done and has all the comforts she has warmed up to it. She put her mark on it and dressed it up way more than I would be able to. It was getting too ""Man Cave-y" I guess. But I don't mind having nice stuff either. I know it smells a lot better when shes' been in there.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby kirkupnorth » Wed May 16, 2018 6:09 am

Joel.brian wrote:How big did you make the a/c hole?

We designed it for the little Frigidaire 5,000 BTU window unit. The opening is 12-3/8 high by 16-3/8 wide. We don't actually have the AC unit yet, so we went off the manufacturer's specs. Fingers crossed....
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby kirkupnorth » Mon May 28, 2018 9:17 pm

Recent progress 8)

We've been getting some work done, and it feels good. Since we have a lifetime registration, we don't need to have a license plate. There was that perfectly good plate holder sitting empty, soooo, here is a picture of my first decorating contribution. ("It's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside") The Dr. Who fans will get it.

We got the ceiling wood up, the Maxxair installed, the can lights and a plug for the AC unit installed. We're very happy with the ceiling. We used Western Red Cedar tongue and groove that's 3-1/2" wide, and 5/16" thick. We didn't stain it, but just went with a semi-gloss polyurethane. We got it at Menards, and the quality of it was a pleasant surprise. You can see that we're waiting for one more light fixture. :roll:

We also got started on the rough framing for the kitchen. So far, everything is going really well. I took this photo in the afternoon, but by the time we finished tonight, we had the uppers rough framed also.

We're expecting some key deliveries in the next few days: :applause: The water tank is supposed to be here tomorrow, the additional light fixtures on Wednesday, and the AC unit on Thursday. The AC is the one I'm really anxious to get. We want to make sure that it fits our opening(!), AND...it's been hot as heck up here for the last few days. Really looking forward to working in some cooler conditions.

I'll keep posting as we go. Have a good week, everyone!
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon May 28, 2018 10:50 pm

That's a beautiful ceiling. People are getting more creative all the time with the materials they use up there. It makes a lot of sense when you think about how large that piece is and how close your eye is to it. Also when you are laying there in bed, that's what you see. You can't find many things prettier than real wood, especially cedar. Plus it should keep the moths at bay. So, there's that...
I never caught on to the Dr. Who series, but if you painted that I'm impressed. When you say you don't need license plates, what happens when you go to other states? We have permanent plates here for trailers, motorcycles and vehicles 10 yrs old, but we still have plates.

Nice work there kirkupnorth,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby kirkupnorth » Tue May 29, 2018 5:45 am

McDave wrote:That's a beautiful ceiling. People are getting more creative all the time with the materials they use up there. It makes a lot of sense when you think about how large that piece is and how close your eye is to it. Also when you are laying there in bed, that's what you see. You can't find many things prettier than real wood, especially cedar. Plus it should keep the moths at bay. So, there's that...
I never caught on to the Dr. Who series, but if you painted that I'm impressed. When you say you don't need license plates, what happens when you go to other states? We have permanent plates here for trailers, motorcycles and vehicles 10 yrs old, but we still have plates.

Nice work there kirkupnorth,

McDave

Thanks for the positive feedback, McDave. Believe me, I did not paint the license plate -- bought it on Etsy.com. I couldn't paint a stick figure!

In Minnesota, lifetime registration on trailers means a sticker on the trailer tongue. It's only allowed on trailers with 3,500 GVWR of 3,500 pounds or less. We can also get lifetime registration on "Collecter Vehicles", which must be more than 25 years old and only for occasional use, shows, etc. For that one you get a special license plate. I guess if we get pulled over in a different state, we just show them the tongue sticker. I agree that it's kind of a goofy way to do it.
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Tue May 29, 2018 8:19 am

kirkupnorth, Howdy;

Yea, that ceiling is a nice touch! :thumbsup: , :thumbsup: !!

Whovians do truly pop-up in unusual places, First got hooked on the DR. way back
in 1970. Enjoying your "TARDIS" plate. Not sure how the "new" DR. is going to work out.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kirkupnorth » Tue May 29, 2018 11:15 am

hankaye wrote:kirkupnorth, Howdy;

Whovians do truly pop-up in unusual places, First got hooked on the DR. way back
in 1970. Enjoying your "TARDIS" plate. Not sure how the "new" DR. is going to work out.

hank

Yeah, I'm not so sure about the new Dr., either --- my favorite doctor was David Tenant. But, Who fans always have pretty strong opinions about which Dr. was best. :)
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Tue May 29, 2018 7:25 pm

kirkupnorth, Howdy;

kirkupnorth wrote:
hankaye wrote:kirkupnorth, Howdy;

hank

Yeah, I'm not so sure about the new Dr., either --- my favorite doctor was David Tenant. But, Who fans always have pretty strong opinions about which Dr. was best. :)

Yea, mine, #4 Tom Baker, Floppy hat Looong scarf and most folks toady still think he's 'round the bend.
Most recently seen as the "Curator".

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kirkupnorth » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:54 pm

Weekend Update: We've made some progress, and things are getting really exciting! The rough framing of the kitchen is finished, including the uppers. The water tank and the AGM battery were delivered. Here's the layout we're going with: The two burner stove will be at the center of the V, and the sink will be on the left by the tall cabinet. The tall cabinet will hold the porta-potty behind a door at the bottom. The refrigerator will be in an open space above that, and at the top will be a storage cabinet.

154692 154693

We put shiplap up on the walls. It was pretty easy, and VERY affordable. We used 1/4" plywood, and ripped it into 6" wide strips. Then we did a paint/stain treatment to give it the gray, weathered wood effect. To do that we painted the strips white, then sanded it down to leave some white and some bare. Then, we went over that with gray stain. Once the stain was wiped off, we were left with a look we're very happy with.

154694 154695

Then we got busy on a valance to cover the torsion mechanism for the ramp door. We wanted it to be removable for future maintenance, so we screwed in a 1/2" u-shaped aluminum molding. The bottom horizontal piece slips into that channel, and then there's a screw on each side holding it in. So if we need to remove it in the future to adjust the door or whatnot, we'll just remove the two screws and slip it right out of the channel. Seems to work so far.

The AC unit was finally delivered, and it fits in our opening. What a relief!! :)

So, we're pretty happy with how things are moving along. We made another run to the home improvement store today. That's a 90 minute drive each way for us, so we tend to hit it pretty hard and stock up on supplies for the next 1-2 weeks. So, we've got plenty to keep us busy. I'll keep posting as things happen.

Have a good night, everyone!
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby Joel.brian » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:02 pm

That looks amazing. Did you glue the shiplap down or nail gun it?

Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:04 pm

Well now that is some substantial progress. Those walls are great, but I really like the ramp spring cover. I'll be borrowing that one, tomorrow. I have been meaning to get that done and you just inspired me make it happen. Thanks.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions