The Adventure Begins: 6x12 V-Nose Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

The Adventure Begins: 6x12 V-Nose Conversion

Postby kirkupnorth » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:29 pm

We just picked up our new Cross 6x12 V-Nose to convert into a camper/hauler. We've been looking at trailers for weeks. We wanted a good quality trailer that we could afford with 6'6" interior height, camper style door, walls and ceiling at 16" on center, LED lights, and a ramp. Living in far northern Minnesota, we knew we'd have to drive for hours to get what we wanted. So today we took some time off work and made the four hour drive to the Twin Cities to pick up the perfect trailer for us. Here it is:
When we were about halfway home we decided to pull into a Menards for some foam insulation so that we could get started right away. About a mile from the store a Chevy Suburban ran a red light and t-boned the pickup next to us with such force that he smashed into us. Unbelievable! Here's how that worked out for us:
We were lucky though, no one in any of the trucks was hurt and our new trailer was unharmed -- not a mark on it. And, we were able to drive the remaining 150 miles home. "Built Ford Tough" was true today!

We've got a layout plan on paper that's been reworked and tweaked countless times. In the morning we'll get busy with some masking tape and see how it looks in reality. We're really looking forward to the whole project! Stay tuned...
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Re: The Adventure Begins: 6x12 V-Nose Conversion

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:18 am

Holy Smack, not fun. :( :frightened: :shock: :x Glad no one was injured, but still! I hope the rest of the build goes a little smoother for you. I'll be watching.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby flboy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:09 pm

Darn! Glad you are okay. Is the truck repairable? :(

Good luck on the build! The trailer looks nice! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby kirkupnorth » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:16 pm

Hey, guys. Thanks for your positive vibes!

Yes, we were very lucky that no one was hurt. We won't know much more until the insurance adjuster comes on Monday. It's been such a good truck for us, we really do not want them to "total" it. Haven't had an accident in over 30 years, so we're not too sure about what to expect from the insurance company. We'll wait and see I guess.

Yeah, we're already having fun with the trailer. We have most of the interior plywood down. Just part of one wall to go. Very happy to report that the plywood is held on with real screws! I've seen so many people here struggle with those fake srew head nails.
So far, we're very happy with what we're seeing as far as trailer build quality. Looks like they did a very nice job. I've snapped a few photos today, so I'll try to get them up here sometime tonight. :thumbsup:
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:09 pm

Maybe not the best start to a project, but you never know... sometimes these things work out for the best. But losing a good truck is like losing a good friend. Glad everybody is OK.
So, new trailer eh? Very nice. You'll be glad that you got the extra headroom. Looking forward to your build.
Good Luck!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:17 pm

Nice extended tongue
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kirkupnorth » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:46 pm

Well, we got a pretty good start today. As I said, we're happy with what we're finding under the plywood in the trailer. The build quality looks very good. We were happy to see the steel tube framing is 1"x1-1/2" on the walls and the ceiling.

Tomorrow we'll get going with the foam insulation and maybe get to some wiring. We don't like the factory splices, so he's going to get rid of those. He'll solder and then heat-shrink the connections.
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby kirkupnorth » Tue May 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Progress is being made!

We're well into insulating, and the ceiling is now furred out.

We've framed in for a maxxair fan.

So far, things are going well but not terribly fast. The amount of thinking, planning, and pondering is really pretty amazing! I'm surprised to find that I'm really enjoying that part. In the interest of full disclosure, I am kirkupnorth's wife. I guess I'm Mrs. Kirkupnorth? ;) So while I'm busy during the day as a middle school teacher, kirkupnorth is doing most of the work. Everyday I can't wait to get home from school and see the progress! I'll be helping in the evenings and on the weekends. So far, it turns out that I'm kind of gifted when it comes to removing plywood walls! :thumbsup:

Anyway, we're both having a lot of fun with it so far. This forum has been extremely helpful. It's great to see how other people have done things, what the veterans recommend, and get ideas for solving problems.

I will continue to update as we proceed.
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby kirkupnorth » Tue May 01, 2018 8:59 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:Nice extended tongue

Yes, we knew we'd want an extended tongue for LP tanks, and just for ease of driving, reversing, etc.
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby MrBo » Wed May 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Looking good. Sorry about the truck and glad no one got hurt! CRAZY!
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby kirkupnorth » Wed May 02, 2018 4:36 pm

MrBo wrote:Looking good. Sorry about the truck and glad no one got hurt! CRAZY!

We found out today that the other driver's insurance company is accepting full liability, which is good news! That means we won't have to pay our normal deductible, and it shouldn't affect our rates. Very happy about that!

Do any of you have a recommendation for a reverse light to mount above the ramp door? I've got to find one in the next few days. What have you had good luck with?
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Wed May 02, 2018 6:01 pm

I used these LED Spot lights. They are VERY bright and easy to aim. Used a relay triggered from truck reverse lights and powered from trailer battery. there is also a switch just inside ramp door.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EA ... UTF8&psc=1

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby kirkupnorth » Wed May 02, 2018 8:19 pm

McDave wrote:I used these LED Spot lights. They are VERY bright and easy to aim. Used a relay triggered from truck reverse lights and powered from trailer battery. there is also a switch just inside ramp door.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EA ... UTF8&psc=1

McDave

Thanks, McDave! Funny, I was already considering those exact lights. I'm glad to hear that you're happy with them. Into the cart they go!
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby kirkupnorth » Mon May 07, 2018 9:23 pm

We've finished the utility hookups installation, and we're pretty pleased with how it all turned out. We put in the outdoor shower, the gravity fill and city water hookups, the cable for eventual tv antenna, and the shore power electrical hookup.

We're pleased with how all of the black hookups look on the black trailer.

Here are the plumbing hookups on the interior.

The windows came today, but we had to go deal with the body shop on our truck damage. Still no final verdict on that -- we're hoping to resolve it within a day or two. Man, life without a truck is a real bummer -- even for only a few days! We're expecting heavy rain tomorrow, so windows will probably have to wait until Wednesday or Thursday. We're pleased with the progress. So far everything is going well, with no major screwups. Slow and steady.

We'll keep you posted.
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby Joel.brian » Tue May 08, 2018 8:36 am

I installed Walmart ones on the underneath of mine and routed to my house batteries with a switch so I can turn them on even if my truck isn’t connected. Kinda wish I put them up high but this will work. Image
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions