6x10 Cargo Mate Challenger

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6x10 Cargo Mate Challenger

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:45 am

McDave wrote:I recognize that technique. That's the old torn brown grocery bag trick. Right? That is a good one. I have also seen where the lacquer or clear coat was slightly tinted like a candy apple. Couldn't tell for the life of ya what the material was. Very cool. Everything old is new again.

McDave

Yep the old Decoupage method. People even use it on floors. Yes you can tint if you are using a poly, epoxy, or varnish.

My first attempt (about 10 years ago on a small wood stool I built) I tried the watered down titebond glue method. It was a pain and messy. When It dried it still had the milky look to it. So I tore it off and redid it with the polycrylic. Glued and done all in one! This was a practice piece before I did our laundry counter. Glad I practiced wife would not have been happy!
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:14 am

CPES is a trademark, aka Smith's Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer. Is that recommended in particular? Also tint-able?

I like the crumpled look, with TB2 you just give it a good soaking maybe a roller to get any air bubbles out.

The epoxy looks like expensive stuff though, so I'd maybe try to find a cheaper glue to do the decoupage part, then just get smooth coats of the weatherproof over the top?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:28 am

John61CT wrote:CPES is a trademark, aka Smith's Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer. Is that recommended in particular? Also tint-able?

I like the crumpled look, with TB2 you just give it a good soaking maybe a roller to get any air bubbles out.

The epoxy looks like expensive stuff though, so I'd maybe try to find a cheaper glue to do the decoupage part, then just get smooth coats of the weatherproof over the top?

Yes any marine grade penetrating epoxy will work. Yes you can tint it.

Epoxy isn't cheap, but its the only way that I would go on an exterior application like this.

My friend that decoupaged his canoe did a test over a 3 month period. He did (2) 1' square pieces on the same ply as his canoe. He used TB-3 with varnish top coat on one sample and CPES and varnish top coat on the other and left them out for 3 months during the winter. The CPES sample looked like it did when he first left it out. The other sample had spots where the paper had de-laminated from the plywood.
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:34 pm

Got the copper down on the wood stove end of the counter. Just need to trim everything out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:01 pm

dirtsailor2003 wrote:Epoxy isn't cheap, but its the only way that I would go on an exterior application like this.

My friend that decoupaged his canoe did a test over a 3 month period. He did (2) 1' square pieces on the same ply as his canoe. He used TB-3 with varnish top coat on one sample and CPES and varnish top coat on the other and left them out for 3 months during the winter. The CPES sample looked like it did when he first left it out. The other sample had spots where the paper had de-laminated from the plywood.
Yes, I meant get the decoupage layer done (maybe with TB3), then thoroughly coat with CPES + UV protection.

Rather than using up as much epoxy, soaking the brown-bagging in it.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:32 am

John61CT wrote:
dirtsailor2003 wrote:Epoxy isn't cheap, but its the only way that I would go on an exterior application like this.

Yes, I meant get the decoupage layer done (maybe with TB3), then thoroughly coat with CPES + UV protection.

Rather than using up as much epoxy, soaking the brown-bagging in it.

I'm not really sure that you'd be money ahead. It really doesn't take much of the product to get the paper down and saturated.

I'm also not sure that the epoxy or CPES would adhere to the TB. That would be something I would test before going all in. Take a piece of your substrate and try it. Leave the piece out in the weather for several months and see how it holds up. Remember that the outer skin is what is going to protect your total investment. It's one place I wouldn't skimp, or use untested methods. Water intrusion can ruin an entire project.

Keep in mind too that in my other posts I mentioned getting a milky finish when using TB. For me that wasn't a desirable finish.
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:34 am

dirtsailor2003 wrote:I'm not really sure that you'd be money ahead. It really doesn't take much of the product to get the paper down and saturated.
Well that's the first thing to test. If that is correct, you're right, no point.

Of course depends on the absorption capacity of the "bagging" material layer.

I was thinking of using fragments of old maps, in which case then clarity becomes more important too.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:04 pm

Yay! The Cubic Cub Arrived!

This guy is a beast!

dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:08 pm

sweet
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:54 pm

dirtsailor2003, Howdy;

Happy New Year! Cute lookin' stove. What kind of lining does it have on the interior
walls? Something like a thin fire brick to help hang on to the heat being generated?
I noticed it has an ash drawer, good thing to have so you can dump the dead ash while
it's still burning. I'd not have a stove without one or at least some way to clean out the
dead ash while it's working.
I still think you, do fine running the chimney the way you are planning. Have you seen the
stove top fan at Lehmans https://www.lehmans.com/product/small-h ... stove-fan/
They do a lot of business with the Amish in NE Ohio. Yea, I know, bit pricey but ya get that
when the upwardly mobile members of society start throwing their $'s at old school family
bidnesses.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:00 pm

hankaye wrote:dirtsailor2003, Howdy;

Happy New Year! Cute lookin' stove. What kind of lining does it have on the interior
walls? Something like a thin fire brick to help hang on to the heat being generated?
I noticed it has an ash drawer, good thing to have so you can dump the dead ash while
it's still burning. I'd not have a stove without one or at least some way to clean out the
dead ash while it's working.
I still think you, do fine running the chimney the way you are planning. Have you seen the
stove top fan at Lehmans https://www.lehmans.com/product/small-h ... stove-fan/
They do a lot of business with the Amish in NE Ohio. Yea, I know, bit pricey but ya get that
when the upwardly mobile members of society start throwing their $'s at old school family
bidnesses.

hank

This little stove is a beast! 3/16” steel. Yes lined with firebrick, and duel combustion. No ash pan. The lower knob opens/closes the rear vent into the chimney which burns the gases in the secondary burn.

Ash is very minimal due to the secondary burn .

Can’t wait to get it hooked up!

dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby JRAnt74 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:29 pm

Look forward to reading your opinion on that little stove. I was thinking about getting one for my barn (12'x20' fully insulated) for when I'm out there tinkering with stuff.
JRAnt74
Teardrop Builder

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:10 pm

I was running around Home Depot today picking up some parts and pieces for the CT. I took a detour down the BBQ isle and saw a damaged box. Got a price check and this came home with me for $49.99. I missed the Black Friday deal $79.99, glad I did!

dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:22 am

A man of your culinary prowess could likely sling some kind'a mean hash on that Blackstone. Gotta be careful though, it's a fine, fine line between Camping and Glamping.... just sayin' ... ;)
I saw Hanks previous post about your new stove and the fan and it reminded me I was once obsessed all things Stirling and how close I came to breaking the stranglehold of the power companies and big oil on my wallet but never found the solution besides having my own oil/gas well in the yard. So far that hasn't panned out, we'll see.. still , I love the Stirlings for their looks and possibilities. They don't come cheap though.
https://www.stirlingengine.com/product/ ... stove-fan/

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:33 am

McDave wrote:A man of your culinary prowess could likely sling some kind'a mean hash on that Blackstone. Gotta be careful though, it's a fine, fine line between Camping and Glamping.... just sayin' ... ;)
I saw Hanks previous post about your new stove and the fan and it reminded me I was once obsessed all things Stirling and how close I came to breaking the stranglehold of the power companies and big oil on my wallet but never found the solution besides having my own oil/gas well in the yard. So far that hasn't panned out, we'll see.. still , I love the Stirlings for their looks and possibilities. They don't come cheap though.
https://www.stirlingengine.com/product/ ... stove-fan/

McDave

Stirling, like Eco-fan are proud of their products! I have this little guy and it works great. I have used it on the wall tent stove in the wall tent and it moves air around. I will use it in the CT.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075F36YNK/ref=sxts_kp_bs_lp_1/133-7037290-2162244?pf_rd_p=8778bc68-27e7-403f-8460-de48b6e788fb&pd_rd_wg=NLV5q&pf_rd_r=E003GRHWY3WXP0JJFN81&pd_rd_i=B075F36YNK&pd_rd_w=TScPM&pd_rd_r=1656849d-5a75-48f6-a839-2e1cfdd97016&ie=UTF8&qid=1546873354&sr=1#customerReviews
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions