6x10 Cargo Mate Challenger

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6x10 Cargo Mate Challenger

Postby McDave » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:30 pm

Nice Blacktail you guys have in the Pac NW. He looks really healthy and well fed. What the hell happened in that area to all the trees and veg? Doesn't really look like a burn, still fuel everywhere.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:17 am

McD, Howdy;

McDave wrote:Nice Blacktail you guys have in the Pac NW. He looks really healthy and well fed. What the hell happened in that area to all the trees and veg? Doesn't really look like a burn, still fuel everywhere.

McDave

Looks like the pine beetle blight stuff that's ruining the forest in Utah and other places in the West as well.
Just my best guess.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:58 pm

flboy wrote:Wow.. looks like you had an epic weekend. Camping, dirtbiking, hunting... very nice..

That is a huge rack with a nice spread!!! Wow. What was the B&C score on that one? I cannot see the face so assuming it is a whitetail?

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Btw. What kind of snake is that? Looks like a common garter snake, but I have never seen red in them? A regional thing?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Not sure onthe score yet. Spread was 28”. Sucker weighed close to 300# gutted. The heart was as big as an elks!

Yep just common garter snake. I saw three at camp and they were all different colored. One has a blue head. Lots of frogs, which explains the snakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:03 pm

hankaye wrote:McD, Howdy;

McDave wrote:Nice Blacktail you guys have in the Pac NW. He looks really healthy and well fed. What the hell happened in that area to all the trees and veg? Doesn't really look like a burn, still fuel everywhere.

McDave

Looks like the pine beetle blight stuff that's ruining the forest in Utah and other places in the West as well.
Just my best guess.

hank

Unfortunately this was an arson caused forest fire. That burnt 11 square miles, 6,908 acres. Happened in June of 2014.

I’ve camped here since I was a kid, over 40 years. This camp is right at the headwater of Bull Springs above Tumalo Reservoir in Oregon. This was completely forested. All the manzanita was never there until after the burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:54 am

Now that summer is gone its time to make some modifications to the trailer. First I'll be adding a simple storage area on the interior at the front of the trailer. It will primarily be a counter and for the most part open below. It will be the permanent location for my kitchen box. The box will sit on the counter portion. Below center will be open for the big RTIC cooler to go when we are at camp. To the right will be shelves for the small totes that I have which usually have dry goods in. To the left will be one shelf, spare tire below. I will insulate the front wall prior to building this set up.

Ceiling will be insulated and covered with something. Haven't decided what yet. Whatever i choose will be light weight.

I ordered a 12v panel and two 12v lights. The lights will be installed in the ceiling. All will be hooked up to my battery which lives in the tongue box.

The cheap harbor freight solar system seems to be working and keeping the battery up. I'll upgrade the solar at some time.

I also ordered some items for the E-track system. I'll be adding some E-track to the exterior of the trailer too.

I'll add photos as the work proceeds.
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby SalsaDog » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:46 am

Nice build and some beautiful scenery you have there. I can see you are enjoying the fruits of your labor.

I do question your position for the solar panels because of shading from the rack cross bar. Shading has a significant impact
on output. Even if one cell is shaded, output will be reduced.

We boondock under trees often (National Forests, NE Wisconsin & U.P. Michigan), I installed a shore power receptacle on the
CT and a extension cord on a 205 watt panel. With that, I can park in the shade and place the panel in the sun. I also use it
in the vertical position in the winter, in order to sweep snow off and not need to climb up (61) too the roof during the winter.
The batteries are maintained and no risk.

Thanks for taking the time to share your build.
SalsaDog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:33 am

SalsaDog wrote:Nice build and some beautiful scenery you have there. I can see you are enjoying the fruits of your labor.

I do question your position for the solar panels because of shading from the rack cross bar. Shading has a significant impact
on output. Even if one cell is shaded, output will be reduced.

We boondock under trees often (National Forests, NE Wisconsin & U.P. Michigan), I installed a shore power receptacle on the
CT and a extension cord on a 205 watt panel. With that, I can park in the shade and place the panel in the sun. I also use it
in the vertical position in the winter, in order to sweep snow off and not need to climb up (61) too the roof during the winter.
The batteries are maintained and no risk.

Thanks for taking the time to share your build.

I went through several scenarios for mounting the panels and ultimately decided to flat mount them on roof mainly because I didn't want to have to pack and unpack them every time I want to use them. We currently haven't had a problem keeping the battery charged full. Most of the time we are camped and parked in direct sunlight. When not in use (like in the winter) I keep the battery on a battery tender to keep it fresh.
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Picked my heat source

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:23 pm

I've been going back and forth on what I want to use for heat in the trailer. I have a big buddy heater that we've used in other rigs. It works great but I hate to leave it on at night.

IN all my large boats I've always had Dickinson diesel stoves. They work great but I really don't want to plumb a gravity tank in, and I don't want to have another fuel to buy. Dickinson's propane stove could work but again I really don't want to plumb in a system.

I have had Dickinson's wood burner in a small shop and it worked good but not ass efficient as I'd like, and the unit doesn't seal fully.

So even though it's overkill for the space I am going to order the Cubic Cub wood stove. Wood is readily available where I travel and If needed I can always pack enough compressed logs for a trip too. Yes the manufacturer says you can burn compressed logs in this stove. I will mount this on the wall and the flue will exit out straight out the roof top.

Should be pretty slick and make the cold winter nights pleasant.

https://youtu.be/ZOFu2zSPmxU
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby SalsaDog » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:54 pm

Check out a diesel air heater. I have one and it works great. I bid for mine and got it for ~$65.

Combustion air is drawn and expelled outside. It takes very little current and fuel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5KW-12V-Diesel ... :0&vxp=mtr
SalsaDog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:59 pm

SalsaDog wrote:Check out a diesel air heater. I have one and it works great. I bid for mine and got it for ~$65.

Combustion air is drawn and expelled outside. It takes very little current and fuel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5KW-12V-Diesel ... :0&vxp=mtr

I looked at bus heaters, but have decided that the Kiss method is the best route for me. No plumbing, no additional fuel, no electrical. Just plain old dry heat.
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:49 am

Before I can install the shelf at the front of the trailer I decided to insulate. Once the shelf system is installed I won't be able to access the walls. So I took off the front interior wall board.

Glad I did. I have been getting dirt in the trailer when on dirt roads. The Bull nose corners had a large gap at the bottom, 1" +/- between the outer skin and the frame. That's sealed up now and wont be an issue.

Prior to insulating I ran wiring from the battery into the trailer. I'll be installing a switched panel for lights, usb ports, and possibly a fan down the road.

I used R-tech 3/4" foil faced insulation. Made cuts with my table saw and box cutter. Used great stuff to fill gaps behind the Metal Z Studs. I will insulate the rest of the trailer over the winter. Starting with ceiling and then the sidewalls.

Spray foam after first coat. I added more after it set a bit to fill the entire cavity.

Took advantage of the gap at the bottom to run the wiring so I didn't have to drill another hole in the skin and seal.

Front wall insulated. Its all closed back up again. I'll be starting on the shelf system this week.
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:30 pm

I really like the looks of those wood stoves. It would probably work well for as much winter camping as I do. I saw another one that looked really good, thought you might like it.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:47 pm

McDave wrote:I really like the looks of those wood stoves. It would probably work well for as much winter camping as I do. I saw another one that looked really good, thought you might like it.

McDave

That's a nifty looking unit.

I really like the closed combustion of the Cubic units and the secondary burn. I think it will work out really nice. I have a small heat conduction fan that I will use to help circulate the air when the stove is running.
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:42 am

Installed the rear brace for the Kitchen box shelf.

dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:56 am

Zipped open the last front side panel that I needed to insulate. Took my skill saw and ran it up the stud, Now I can continue with the front shelf area.

Yay for long holiday weekends! Ought to be able to wrap up this project!
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions