6x10 Cargo Mate Challenger

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6x10 Cargo Mate Challenger

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:45 am

Went and did a few days of camping in the woods.

Solar shower worked great .Did take all day though to warm up the 40 degree creek water! A pot of boiling water helped that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby hankaye » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:53 pm

dirtsailor2003, Howdy;

Nice, very nice ... :applause: , :beer:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Stealth TDI » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:44 pm

Hello,

Nice work! I'm looking for a roof rack for my CT. It has a flat roof like yours, only smaller. I don't think my frame goes to the top of the walls, not 100% sure. I need to double-check Anyway, did you punch your mounting holes from inside to ensure the bolts pass through the center of the frame? Or did you simply drill through the sheet metal only?

I'm considering Yakima's 1A Raingutter mount on a set of SideLoaders. That should be compatible with my other Yakima accessories since I'd use the same spacing as what's on my car and other trailer. But I may wind up using a rack like yours if that's the best move. I'd love to know more about how you installed your rack. I don't see many others.

Thanks!

Scott
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby beachguy005 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:58 pm

I looked at those side loader brackets also for my CTC. The issue I had was that once installed you're limited to where you can mount your crossbars. Not an issue if your CT is on the short side. I wanted more flexibility but couldn't find any long rain gutters that were robust enough so I made my own. I used some aluminum window mullion bars that I ripped on a table saw. The bars are 1x3 with 1/8 wall thickness. I used two 54" bars and each gave me two 108" rain gutters. One on each side.
The finished gutter is an L 1.5x1x1/4 lip. Used 1/4" self tappers through the side and into the steel frame. You can buy the bars in HD probably for less than the Yakima brackets.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby Stealth TDI » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I understand the part you're describing from HD. I tried some searches, but no luck. Can you please provide a link or item number?

Thanks!
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Stealth TDI, Howdy;

I generally just highlight the word or term I'm unsure of then right click find the
good ol' Google search then click on that. Which is how I found this.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch& ... G1z3QfyppM:

Mullion is a term used by the makers of windows for the vertical piece that separates
2 windows in a set. check out the link or this one.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mullion ... e&ie=UTF-8

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:46 pm

I looked at all types of racks and these fit my purpose the best. There would be no way without modifications for the rain gutter style to mount to mine. There is a continuous tube at the top of mine. The trim piece on the exterior is attached with self tapping screws and the support upright fit right in that trim piece which centered the pre drilled holes on the tube. I just screwed the uprights on with self tapping screws that’s were provided with the rack.

dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby Stealth TDI » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:56 am

Hello,

hankaye wrote:I generally just highlight the word or term I'm unsure of then right click find the good ol' Google search then click on that.

Thanks for the reply. That's basically what I did. My Google-Fu is generally good, but I couldn't find anything at HD's website that looked strong enough to support a roof rack. Regardless, upon closer inspection of my frame, I can now see a place to send bolts through to hold my SideLoaders. Someone referred to the area as a "Z rib" via private message. My Z rib extends above what I consider to be the top horizontal frame piece. It is tough to see with the walls in place, but I was able to find it with a flashlight.

I don't want to derail this thread any further. I appreciate the insight.

Take Care,

Scott
Stealth TDI
Teardrop Advisor

Postby beachguy005 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:00 am

Stealth TDI wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I understand the part you're describing from HD. I tried some searches, but no luck. Can you please provide a link or item number?

Thanks!

There are different sizes, length and width. Just go to the window department and ask for the alu mull bars. Here's a link. Both HD and Lowes will stock them, usually in alu and vinyl.

Code: Select all
https://www.homedepot.com/s/mull%2520bar?NCNI-5
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:48 am

Rhino Rack's tracks attach direct to your roof sheet metal with PlusNuts, and accept the Yakima feet as well.

Etrailer's got good support for them, ask about the generic version.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Blotto Bros » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:42 pm

hankaye wrote:dirtsailor, Howdy;

A few memories you've allowed to surface, Crab boat and work boat races from the Chesapeake Bay
and some of the bumper stickers that the 'older' folks wore on their trucks, "If God wanted boats to
be made of fiberglass that's what he'd have made trees of."
The steam boats remind me of "The African Queen" nice quiet chuga-da, chuga-da, chuga-da ...

Thanks for the memories.

hank

You'll be happy to know that after a hundred years the "AFRICAN QUEEN" is still chugging along!! Here is a picture of me at the controls from June.

Even those souls that are found must occasionally become lost to appreciate what they have.
Blotto Bros
Silver Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:08 pm

Blotto Bros, Howdy;

Ok, found it! :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Queen_(boat)

Luck man to have been at the tiler of that boat.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:43 pm

Spent some time in the woods this weekend.

dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:48 pm

Holy smokin nice rack! :shock: I didn't think they grew em like that any more. :thumbsup: :applause:
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby flboy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:00 pm

Wow.. looks like you had an epic weekend. Camping, dirtbiking, hunting... very nice..

That is a huge rack with a nice spread!!! Wow. What was the B&C score on that one? I cannot see the face so assuming it is a whitetail?

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Btw. What kind of snake is that? Looks like a common garter snake, but I have never seen red in them? A regional thing?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions