Should I return this AC or keep it?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Should I return this AC or keep it?

Postby kaloogle » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:42 pm

I'm adding a Coleman Mach 3 plus to my cargo conversion, ordered new on the internet. The first one they sent had a lot of damage in shipping :x , called customer service and they took care of it :D . Shipped me another and FedEx came and picked up the damaged unit. The replacement came in and was in much better shape, but still damaged a little. The question is should I ask for another one or keep this one. The fan spins easily, not rubbing on anything. I've not powered it on yet, but I think it will run without issue. I'm not sure if having another one shipped in would arrive in any better shape that the one I have. :stompspam:

Bottom by compressor
Bottom Compressor bolt - this is the one that I'm most concerned about :worship:
Left Side AC Bent Lip
Left Side AC Bent Lip up close
Right side AC bent lip
Back spacer pad - since this is just a spacer, I'm not too worried about it being a little banged up
kaloogle
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Should I return this AC or keep it?

Postby featherliteCT1 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:51 pm

If the unit was damaged after having been dropped or thrown around, I would be concerned about the possibility of hidden damage from the jarring.

I would want another undamaged one.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hankaye » Tue May 01, 2018 8:22 am

kaloogle, Howdy;

Send the pix to the seller, ask them. They are the folks that have the opinion that matters.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Tue May 01, 2018 9:14 am

Well, I don't see anything there that should affect the operation of the AC or the way it mounts to the roof. However, it does have some damage. If time and PITA issues are all that are keeping you from returning it, I would at least negotiate for some compensation. These units are not cheap. You paid for a new undamaged unit, not a factory second or a dent and scratch. If you are unable to get satisfaction it may be time to change suppliers. There is really no way to tell when the damage occurred, so dealer can't control that, but they can do what it takes to make this situation right. If you do install this unit just be aware of any strange buzzing or rattling that would drive you crazy and check that the condensate is draining where it should. The pan does hold some water but also should drain when it reaches a certain level.
Good Luck,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby kaloogle » Tue May 01, 2018 12:15 pm

Thanks for the input. I've called PPLmotorhomes.com and sent the pictures to them. They are going to take a look and let me know what they would like to do.

They did a great job taking the first damaged AC back and I look for them to do the same this time.
kaloogle
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions