Air Coditioners and Refrigerators

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Air Coditioners and Refrigerators

Postby flboy » Sat May 05, 2018 7:55 am

Karebru wrote:Reasonably priced... There's no limit to the amount of money someone who thinks that, "I must have the very best" can spend on home appliances! :roll:

Amen to that... sometimes good, is good enough and gets you on the road! :thumbsup: I guess the best comes with bragging rights which may make up for other shortcomings. :) :)
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Joel.brian » Wed May 09, 2018 11:17 am

Karebru wrote:Don't want the heated air mixing with the cooling air...Makes sense. :thinking:
Sounds like I'm on the right track, though. Thanks, Don.
Between the narrow windows I'm ordering, and a compact, 5,000 BTU AC mounted that way, I should be able to get away without cutting any 16" o.c. framing members.
That would be a beautiful thing. :thumbsup:

Which AC unit did you settle on? Did it fit between the studs? If so I’d be interested in what model. I’m really trying to avoid cutting the frame also.
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Wed May 09, 2018 11:44 am

flboy wrote:Amen to that... sometimes good, is good enough...

Really? Good enough... I'm sure the Mrs. just quivers in anticipation for good enough. :oops:
Oh well, those words will look nice on your participation trophy.
Thanks for playing!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed May 09, 2018 11:52 am

Joel.brian wrote:Which AC unit did you settle on? Did it fit between the studs? If so I’d be interested in what model. I’m really trying to avoid cutting the frame also.

Want to avoid cutting studs? Easy installation, guaranteed to do the job? 3 little words to live by,
" Rooftop Air Conditioner"
works every time.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Joel.brian » Wed May 09, 2018 11:56 am

McDave wrote:
Joel.brian wrote:Which AC unit did you settle on? Did it fit between the studs? If so I’d be interested in what model. I’m really trying to avoid cutting the frame also.

Want to avoid cutting studs? Easy installation, guaranteed to do the job? 3 little words to live by,
" Rooftop Air Conditioner"
works every time.

McDave

True! I like my Maxxfan up there though and most of my camping is off grid with no generator so I’m trying to stick with something small and inexpensive like a wall unit for the few times I do use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Wed May 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Joel.brian wrote:
True! I like my Maxxfan up there though and most of my camping is off grid with no generator so I’m trying to stick with something small and inexpensive like a wall unit for the few times I do use it

Joel, here is another really creative install by Hader . He avoided cutting studs also and has this down lower.

I understand on the Maxxair.. I have one also and it gets more action than the AC and the smaller window AC will cool you just fine in a small CTC with many other advantages when needed. I really enjoy these threads and ideas. There is so much creativity and everyone's goals, needs, and resources are different so no one size fits all. Best of luck. Looking forward to seeing your solution.

Check out Hader's install:

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=1207904#p1207904

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Last edited by flboy on Wed May 09, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Wed May 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Joel, another option is to build a side install like Karebru and then make or buy small flip up doors between the studs for venting since AC is not used on the road and can open when parked.

The stud cutting in his solution and mine is to accomdate a certain type of vent cover that does not leak in water when driving in rain, but if you use a solid cover.. just prop them open when stopped. I could see that working nicely... and no stud cutting. Just find some 15" keyed doors like the put on RV's. Seen those on Ebay cheap.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Wed May 09, 2018 2:08 pm

flboy wrote:Joel, another option is to build a side install like Karebru and then make or buy small flip up doors between the studs for venting since AC is not used on the road and can open when parked.

The stud cutting in his solution and mine is to accomdate a certain type of vent cover that does not leak in water when driving in rain, but if you use a solid cover.. just prop them open when stopped. I could see that working nicely... and no stud cutting. Just find some 15" keyed doors like the put on RV's. Seen those on Ebay cheap.

I almost went that route, then settled on the vents. :)
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby Joel.brian » Thu May 10, 2018 12:08 am

flboy wrote:Joel, another option is to build a side install like Karebru and then make or buy small flip up doors between the studs for venting since AC is not used on the road and can open when parked.

I like this idea a lot. What if I to put it in the top of the v-nose and build it into an upper cabinet looking thing above my kitchen sink and counter area. That way it would blow to the rear and also the entire upper cabinet would be a big exhaust with 2 of those 15” keyed doors and sealed off from the cabin.

Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Thu May 10, 2018 6:45 am

Joel.brian wrote:

I like this idea a lot. What if I to put it in the top of the v-nose and build it into an upper cabinet looking thing above my kitchen sink and counter area. That way it would blow to the rear and also the entire upper cabinet would be a big exhaust with 2 of those 15” keyed doors and sealed off from the cabin.

Redardless of where you put it, you will need to find a way to isolate the intake air from the exhaust air. In a closed space that is vented, if they are not isolated, you may just be circulating a good part of the hot exhaust air back in. The AC may work some, but the efficiency will be poor.

So if you can design something with the blue foam board to do that in the upper part of the Vnose, it would work. I can think of a way to do that, but it would require making a plenum out of blue foam for the intake, or maybe the exhaust if that would be easier.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Joel.brian » Thu May 10, 2018 8:28 am

flboy wrote:Redardless of where you put it, you will need to find a way to isolate the intake air from the exhaust air. In a closed space that is vented, if they are not isolated, you may just be circulating a good part of the hot exhaust air back in. The AC may work some, but the efficiency will be poor.

So if you can design something with the blue foam board to do that in the upper part of the Vnose, it would work. I can think of a way to do that, but it would require making a plenum out of blue foam for the intake, or maybe the exhaust if that would be easier.

OK, that makes sense, I guess I’ll just have to do more research on where the exhaust and intake areas of the window AC units are. Another user is using one of the “through the wall” designs, it doesn’t look like there needs to be a separation for that kind.

Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Thu May 10, 2018 8:33 am

Joel.brian wrote:
flboy wrote:Redardless of where you put it, you will need to find a way to isolate the intake air from the exhaust air. In a closed space that is vented, if they are not isolated, you may just be circulating a good part of the hot exhaust air back in. The AC may work some, but the efficiency will be poor.

OK, that makes sense, I guess I’ll just have to do more research on where the exhaust and intake areas of the window AC units are. Another user is using one of the “through the wall” designs, it doesn’t look like there needs to be a separation for that kind.

That is true, but the end is outside and not contained. I think that is what makes the difference. I am not familiar with the through the wall type, but they must have intake and exhaust out the backside which extends outside minimally.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Thu May 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Let's see, cutting holes in the side, fabricating framework, loss of interior space, blue foamboard plenums, machinery and noise inside the trailer, iffy performance, condensation drain issues, etc. etc. etc.... but I "save" a couple hundred bucks..

OR...

Rooftop Air Conditioner

Hmmmm, :thinking:

Pay me now, or pay me later

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Thu May 10, 2018 4:16 pm

McDave... Not about the work or cost to install the first time around or necessarily about saving hundreds of dollars over a unit much larger than needed for a small CTC (although good incentive by itself).

You said it yourself, if we wanted poorly designed and fabricated junk, we'd buy a trailer off the lot.

In most cases, It is precisely about about the ongoing support, right size for small space, smaller generator needs, not having squirells chewing cowlings and making nests, roof leaks due to clogged condense drains, complexity and expense of repairs, etc. etc. Also the unit just sets up there and deteriorates in the elements whether it is used or not. Not the case when the unit is effectively inside the CTC. Window AC's last for many years this way (first hand experience).

Cost to install is arguable anyhow. In my case, the extra costs beside my labor was probably about $75.00 in material to include the vents, not hundreds. Needed the rack for fridge anyhow. AC included, less than $300 and I still have a roof vent for Maxxair that is very useful most of the time.

I suppose that is why RV makers throw in a big AC on a small camper instead of building in a smaller AC into a cabinet. It cost them more labor and that is the majority of thier costs in a build and it for sure does take up valuable cabinet real estate in a smaller camper.

Actually, some RV makers have wised up and are building the smaller window ACs into cabinets and etc. for trailers less than 18 feet where 13,500 BTU is way too big unless there is no insulation. They must have finally figured it out. I see it alot in the South for sure.

I have seen 8,000 BTU roof units. Very rare. Probably a good reason got that.

I can agree that it makes sense for that rooftop unit on anything larger than 18' which may require the capacity. It is easier to install in the build phase for sure and does not take up otherwise precious space. Has all the other drawbacks however and few benefits. You also seriously think a rooftop unit is quieter inside than a window unit? Not any I have seen.. blower is still inside.

You say you are an AC man. You seriously think 13,500 BTU is a good choice for a 6*12 insulated space just considering cooling needs only? Please do not say yes. In your case, I understand, you got the unit free. Why not make the best of it until it breaks. For sure a good decision for you. You saved hundreds of dollars there and life is full of compromises.

At the end of the day, people should get what they want or have means to acquire. Not about good, bad, right wrong. I do think folks asking for help deciding need to know the whole picture.. the good and bad. That is the purpose and spirit here. Not defending our choices but maybe explaining how we arrived at our choice so informed decisions can be made.

Last edited by flboy on Thu May 10, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:39 pm

10-4 Flboy ... great summary of advantages and disadvantages.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions