Anyone use a Subaru as a tow vehicle?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Anyone use a Subaru as a tow vehicle?

Postby crttaz » Tue May 08, 2018 12:07 am

Towing in UK is limited to about 50 mph, so lots safer with higher limits.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Tue May 08, 2018 10:05 am

Yes staying in the slow lane will definitely add a big safety factor. US limits largely assume people keep with the flow of non-towing traffic.

It's definitely safer when the TV weighs **lots** more than the trailer, but in non-US countries getting pretty common to let that balance shift.

dancam wrote:A big +1 to that statement. As far as cars go most can safely tow double or triple what they are rated for in the USA with just a mediocre driver.

For some (IMO overly narrow) definition of safely.

Definitely a big roll of the dice wrt the effects and aftermath of any serious accident, not just smashed people and property, but legal and financial consequences.

Presumption of guilt/liability is weighted way against anyone following that irresponsible advice.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dancam » Tue May 08, 2018 5:57 pm

John61CT wrote:Yes staying in the slow lane will definitely add a big safety factor. US limits largely assume people keep with the flow of non-towing traffic.

It's definitely safer when the TV weighs **lots** more than the trailer, but in non-US countries getting pretty common to let that balance shift.

dancam wrote:A big +1 to that statement. As far as cars go most can safely tow double or triple what they are rated for in the USA with just a mediocre driver.

For some (IMO overly narrow) definition of safely.

Definitely a big roll of the dice wrt the effects and aftermath of any serious accident, not just smashed people and property, but legal and financial consequences.

Presumption of guilt/liability is weighted way against anyone following that irresponsible advice.
Sure, but its a wrong mentality. Most people would think nothing of putting 3 obese friends and a pile of luggage in a honda fit. They likely wouldnt even adjust their driving or tire pressure or anything.
But have that same 1000+ pounds as a trailer behind the car with an extra axle supporting it and people loose their minds. Everyones going to die, especially the children. I would rather 100 oncoming guys towing a 1000 pound trailer with a honda fit paying attention to what their doing than 5 oncoming guys with that same weight in the car not realizing how much different their car will react in any given situation.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby pchast » Tue May 08, 2018 8:53 pm

I had the CVT oil checked and they changed out the burnt fluid
today. Of 73000 about 12000 was towing the light tear at 65 to 70mph....

Hmmmmm. :thinking:

The advertised limit is 2700 lbs and this is less than 600.
I haven't found a Sq Ft max recommendation yet.
The camper has 14.5 sq ft of frontal area.

I'm still looking for a code to read the CVT temperature.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Tue May 08, 2018 9:49 pm

dancam wrote:Sure, but its a wrong mentality. Most people would think nothing of putting 3 obese friends and a pile of luggage in a honda fit. They likely wouldnt even adjust their driving or tire pressure or anything.
But have that same 1000+ pounds as a trailer behind the car with an extra axle supporting it and people loose their minds. Everyones going to die, especially the children. I would rather 100 oncoming guys towing a 1000 pound trailer with a honda fit paying attention to what their doing than 5 oncoming guys with that same weight in the car not realizing how much different their car will react in any given situation.

Meh, extra weight between the TV axles is qualitatively different from a trailer at speed, swinging around or pushing up your butt, hills, winds, drivers often inexperienced.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dancam » Tue May 08, 2018 11:05 pm

John61CT wrote:
dancam wrote:Sure, but its a wrong mentality. Most people would think nothing of putting 3 obese friends and a pile of luggage in a honda fit. They likely wouldnt even adjust their driving or tire pressure or anything.

Meh, extra weight between the TV axles is qualitatively different from a trailer at speed, swinging around or pushing up your butt, hills, winds, drivers often inexperienced.
Different yes, i believe its much easier to handle, but i am getting this thread off topic.
I have never towed with a subaru, i see plenty of guys who do and the ones i talk to seem to like it and think they tow well. Only guy i personally know who towed with a subaru towed another subaru :)
I dont like repairing subarus but thats just a personal preferance and a non issue if you dont do the repairs on your own vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions