7x16 TA Enclosed Cargo Trailer Camper Conversion budgeted fo

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

7x16 TA Enclosed Cargo Trailer Camper Conversion budgeted fo

Postby Joel.brian » Tue May 08, 2018 12:17 am

So I just joined TNTT after I was browsing and looking for ideas for my own camper build. I’m Joel and I’m from Orlando,FL and I’m converting a 7x16 Tandem Axle Enclosed Cargo Trailer into a camper / travel trailer.

My uses for the camper will be:
-Primitive camping for up to two days at a time mainly in cooler weather.
-Full Hookup camping inside of campgrounds in both summer and winter (Florida winter)
-Stealth camping in cool weather at locations where camping might be frowned upon like parking lots.

My needs for the layout:
-Sleeping for 4 adults often including 2 couples.
-Lounging area inside big enough for 4 adults to hang out in during inclement weather.
-Air conditioning (when hooked up to power or generator)
-Kitchen Area
-Hot water shower
-Room for portable toilet inside
-6’6” Interior because I’m 6’4”.
-Ability to transport a motorcycle or paddle boards or bicycles, or jon boat to the camping destination.

I’ve designed the majority of it in my head and completed a good 40% of the project I’d say. I designed it to have a back porch feel with the liftgate down right next to the dinette benches and table.

The dinette table will drop down and create a 54x78 double berth. There will be a futon inside which will be across from the tv and act as a couch during the day and double berth at night.

Then the v nose area will be the kitchen complete with cabinets, sink, propane stove, and our upright portable air conditioner. The air conditioner will vent and drain through the floor outside and blow out into the cabin when on shore power.

I’m going to attach some photos of my build so far. My girlfriend Megan is the female you’ll see, and you might spot my 4 year old Carter and Megan’s father, Donald too.

We bought the trailer from a place in Georgia for right at 3k and I plan on keeping the build around 6k total. I’m trying to make it as nice as possible as cheaply as possible.

I’d love feedback and suggestions!

Image Megan staining and sealing our dinette table and later our dinette benches

Image We collected free old fence panels for the interior wall siding

Image Peel n stick Vinyl

Image Installed a Maxxfan and rain vent cover

Image Recycled wood walls and vinyl flooring complete

Image And this is where I’m currently at. Framing the counter and done with most of the electrical.

For the electrical, for now.... I’m going with one 100watt solar panel into a 30amp solar charge controller. The solar controller then connects to the battery and another connection to our house load (lights, pumps, usb outlets, Maxxfan, etc...). I’m able to see our solar input and load output in amps through the display so that’s pretty cool. I’ve been under partial shade mostly but I’ve seen the solar panel pumping 3 amps to the batteries so that’s pretty cool. I have one 100 amp hour Walmart deep cycle group 29 battery and one 100 amp hour auto battery that was recently given to me for free. The auto battery was used for two years but worked fine when removed from the vehicle.

Next I have a 1000 watt inverter hooked directly up to the batteries and output to an electrical outlet that will be mounted above the counter. I’m also routing an outlet powered from the inverter over to the tv area so we can use the tv with indoor antenna while off grid.

Next I have a 15amp extension cord input going to a 4 outlet box inside the camper. This will power the a/c, tv, and a 3.5 amp battery charger/maintainer when connected to shore power.

Let me know your thoughts.
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Re: 7x16 TA Enclosed Cargo Trailer Camper Conversion budgete

Postby Joel.brian » Tue May 08, 2018 12:24 am

I’d like to add that the drawn out sketch was done after I perfected a layout but before I had any true numbers/measurements or even a trailer. So it’s not to scale!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Tue May 08, 2018 7:18 am

Very Nice! You are a lucky man to have helpers on this this project. Lots of fun and good times are surely headed your way. Enjoy the build process and share with us when you can.
Good Luck!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Joel.brian » Tue May 08, 2018 8:22 am

Thanks! It’s a fun project
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MrBo » Sat May 12, 2018 11:49 am

Beautiful work! LOVE IT! Enjoy every minute with it! Great family project, :thumbsup:
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby Joel.brian » Sun May 13, 2018 12:07 am

Finished building the counter and cutting out for the sink. One coat of stain+poly down, one to go. The tape on the floor will be the shower and there will a 4 person dinette to double bed conversion on the other side of the futon couch. ImageImage
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Sun May 13, 2018 7:12 am

Joel, it is all looking very nice! It will be exciting to use it this summer for sure.

I did notice something you said about the batteries (Walmart deep cycle group 29 battery and one 100 amp hour auto battery ).... maybe not a good idea to tie those together if that is the intention. You should always use the same type and relative "age". Given the car battery is not a deep cycle, not ideal for the solar setup anyhow. For now... you probably should just hook up the one Walmart Deep Cycle to the Solar Charger and leave off the car battery.

I am not an battery expert by any means,so maybe ask some others. There are one or two on the forum that seem to know a lot about battery construction and related issues. I copied the following which is how I understand it: As the car battery degenerates it will pull down the Deep Cycle and most likely shorten its life as well. Neither will probably be charged correctly. Just something to consider and look into. I'd just get another WalMart Battery to match what you have if you need the Ah capacity and give the car battery to a friend who needs a battery for their car.

It's more a problem of the way the batteries are discharged and recharged. In most off-grid applications the load pulls the batteries down over several hours, usually at night, and they then have to sit partially discharged (or still being drawn from) until the sun rises and the charging process begins. Deep cycle batteries are meant to do this. Automotive batteries are meant to have sudden, heavy, but short discharges (starting the car) and then be recharged with high current immediately.

They will work, but since they'll be spending time in a discharged state that isn't what they're designed for the lifespan will be adversely affected. How much so depends on all the factors involved, including DOD and length of time before charging as well as charging current.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby MrBo » Sun May 13, 2018 9:28 am

flboy wrote:Joel, it is all looking very nice! It will be exciting to use it this summer for sure.

I did notice something you said about the batteries (Walmart deep cycle group 29 battery and one 100 amp hour auto battery ).... maybe not a good idea to tie those together if that is the intention. You should always use the same type and relative "age". Given the car battery is not a deep cycle, not ideal for the solar setup anyhow. For now... you probably should just hook up the one Walmart Deep Cycle to the Solar Charger and leave off the car battery.

I am not an battery expert by any means,so maybe ask some others. There are one or two on the forum that seem to know a lot about battery construction and related issues. I copied the following which is how I understand it: As the car battery degenerates it will pull down the Deep Cycle and most likely shorten its life as well. Neither will probably be charged correctly. Just something to consider and look into. I'd just get another WalMart Battery to match what you have if you need the Ah capacity and give the car battery to a friend who needs a battery for their car.

It's more a problem of the way the batteries are discharged and recharged. In most off-grid applications the load pulls the batteries down over several hours, usually at night, and they then have to sit partially discharged (or still being drawn from) until the sun rises and the charging process begins. Deep cycle batteries are meant to do this. Automotive batteries are meant to have sudden, heavy, but short discharges (starting the car) and then be recharged with high current immediately.

They will work, but since they'll be spending time in a discharged state that isn't what they're designed for the lifespan will be adversely affected. How much so depends on all the factors involved, including DOD and length of time before charging as well as charging current.

Ditto on that. The batteries have to be the exact same batteries and the same age so brand new together. I had the same problem. I have a walmart deep cycle that was a over a year old so I could not add another.

BUT With just one I have been amazed how well it does with the controller and 100W solar panel. So far I have not run out of power but have not been out with it yet for the real test. But for $80 vs $300 for a battery it is working well for us. I had this battery on our Pop up and can get about 4 years out of it. ( my 2nd one in 5 years) So waiting to buy two new ones to have two on board. Good luck! Looking good! Love the walls!

:thumbsup:

as the beat goes on...
Mr Bo

6x14 Build Log - Rolling Thunder - Cabin on Wheels - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69971
MrBo
Teardrop Master

Postby Joel.brian » Sun May 13, 2018 9:46 am

Thanks for the advice, I was wondering about this as well. I’ll switch it up soon
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Joel.brian » Sun May 13, 2018 9:13 pm

Mounted the TV on a swivel and extension mount, got the dinette in, and stuck the 33 gal water tank in the left side bench. Still gotta fabricate how the table will drop down to make the dinette a bed. Image
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Sun May 13, 2018 9:48 pm

Joel.brian, Howdy;

Dang Hoss!!! That's one cozy and comfortable lookin' interior. Just
needs a fire in the fireplace to finish it off.
:thumbsup: , :thumbsup: !!

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Joel.brian » Mon May 14, 2018 8:57 am

hankaye wrote:Joel.brian, Howdy;

hank

Haha if only

Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Mon May 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Well it looks like your done to me. Food, beer, sunblock and cornhole. Good to go. Oh yeah, get a first aide kit and make an extra set of keys. Get the smart one (the pretty one) to stash a little cash somewhere. Stuff happens sometimes, ya know?

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Joel.brian » Mon May 14, 2018 10:37 pm

McDave wrote:Well it looks like your done to me. Food, beer, sunblock and cornhole. Good to go. Oh yeah, get a first aide kit and make an extra set of keys. Get the smart one (the pretty one) to stash a little cash somewhere. Stuff happens sometimes, ya know?

McDave

Haha thanks. Still have a ton left to do though

Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby NO David! » Tue May 15, 2018 6:36 am

Joel.brian wrote:
hankaye wrote:Joel.brian, Howdy;

hank

Haha if only

Well, there is this: "Man invents fire" in a cargo trailer conversion using a Dickinson Marine propane heater.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=61376&start=30#p1107634

Nice project you have there. Welcome to the madness. All the money saved over a travel trailer will take you lots of places!

Paddleboards (kayaks) and bicycle storage ideas, here's our primitive build:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48345
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions