DomoArigato's 7x16 Homesteader Build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: DomoArigato's 7x16 Homesteader Build

Postby phoenixbound » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Sorry another bed question. Your bed winch looks like a standard boat trailer winch, great idea. Easy to find and not too expensive. I also liked the idea of shortening the handle for floor clearance. Question, are you able to have control when lowering the bed? I am thinking when raising you would be using the ratchet, but what about going down. Any boat I ever launched we just unhooked it, shoved on it a little bit and let it slide down the rollers. The bed won't be that heavy. Most of the weight on my current setup is lumber, way more that the mattress itself. I am retiring in the spring and I am thinking this would be a good "retired guy" project.
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:40 pm

phoenixbound wrote:Sorry another bed question. Your bed winch looks like a standard boat trailer winch, great idea. Easy to find and not too expensive. I also liked the idea of shortening the handle for floor clearance. Question, are you able to have control when lowering the bed? I am thinking when raising you would be using the ratchet, but what about going down. Any boat I ever launched we just unhooked it, shoved on it a little bit and let it slide down the rollers. The bed won't be that heavy. Most of the weight on my current setup is lumber, way more that the mattress itself. I am retiring in the spring and I am thinking this would be a good "retired guy" project.
Not answering the questions, but just note that a small 12vdc ATV winch which you can find many places for <$100, could do the same work and they go forwards and backwards under power. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:40 pm

A power winch is not out of the question. Thought about it many times. Thanks.

[/quote]Not answering the questions, but just note that a small 12vdc ATV winch which you can find many places for <$100, could do the same work and they go forwards and backwards under power. Just a thought.

flboy wrote:
phoenixbound wrote:Sorry another bed question. Your bed winch looks like a standard boat trailer winch, great idea. Easy to find and not too expensive. I also liked the idea of shortening the handle for floor clearance. Question, are you able to have control when lowering the bed? I am thinking when raising you would be using the ratchet, but what about going down. Any boat I ever launched we just unhooked it, shoved on it a little bit and let it slide down the rollers. The bed won't be that heavy. Most of the weight on my current setup is lumber, way more that the mattress itself. I am retiring in the spring and I am thinking this would be a good "retired guy" project.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby domoarigato » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:13 pm

Yep, I can hold the weight of the bed both going up/down with the gear in the neutral position. The handle I knowingly reduced the mechanical advantage of with the understanding that it has a 1500lb capacity, which is way more than I need. The reason being is so that it does not interfere with the cot on that side of the trailer, rather it sits under it. It was only $20, cheap enough for me to experiment with.

As Flboy noted though, electric winches can be had on the cheap now-a-days, and I may eventually replace it down the road if it meets my clearance needs; maybe even an ATV winch which has an even smaller form factor. However, for now I was thinking that I may weld a fitting on my existing crank handle, allowing me to do an electric override with a cordless driver for convenience.

Not knowing if I will have everything together before my first riding trip (Oct 5/6/7), I have been trying to get things ironed out that need to be secured before the trailer rolls. The shower and tub was next on my list. I REALLY do hope to get my shower working before hand, (damn that drunken crap/vomit fest of a bathhouse from last year, don't ask) so that I can have my own facilities. Nothing worse than not having somewhere to make an honest deposit before 8hrs of off road riding.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby domoarigato » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:34 pm

Welp, here's the most recent update.. electric sofet installed, electric converter wired and turned up, two AC outlets functional, all DC lighting functional, shower complete, bathroom sink complete, hot water on demand working like a freaking charm, all table, seat, counter surfaces secured, micro internet cafe functional, test drive with bike in back complete and tows like a charm at highway speeds. Taking it to a local trailer shop to have a spring over axle conversion done tomorrow morning. More pics to come after that is complete.

Going to do a dual sport / brofest this weekend for her maiden voyage and have a family trip planned in late October. There are still plenty of loose end to tighten up and a few more things to be added, but I believe that it's camping worthy now.

Up next will be fabricating a propane bottle and battery rack for the tongue.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby domoarigato » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:37 pm

More..ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby domoarigato » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:39 pm

More..ImageImage

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby phoenixbound » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Nice work, enjoy. Still many things I could and will do with mine, but my wife and I were both thrilled with how well everything worked on first camping trip and I am sure you will feel the same.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby domoarigato » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:22 pm

Thanks Phoenix. I told my wife last weekend (along with some friends that I have been neglecting) that the full time push to get the tramper completed is now over and my weekends won't be entirely consumed with the related work any more. I can finally get back to more extra-curricular activities on the weekends! Woot woot!

That said, I will be tinkering and adding final touches and extra details moving forward. It just won't be consuming as much of my time as it has thus far.

- Domo

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Bowtie76 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Mike,

Had fun riding with you this weekend. Funny I had read this thread a couple of weeks ago and never realized it was you.

After seeing your trailer I'm definitely ready to get going on mine.

Shawn
Bowtie76
Teardrop Inspector

Postby domoarigato » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:09 pm

Bowtie76 wrote:Mike,

Had fun riding with you this weekend. Funny I had read this thread a couple of weeks ago and never realized it was you.

After seeing your trailer I'm definitely ready to get going on mine.

Shawn
Hey Shawn,

Yeah, that was a good time and some fun riding conditions! Thanks again for having me and I hope to do many more in the future.

Again, let me know if you have something that you need fabbed when you move forward with it. We're not too far away from each other and I'd be happy to help you out.

- Mike

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby domoarigato » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:14 pm

Trailer after spring over axle conversion. It has some nice clearance now. Before/After pics attached.ImageImage

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:00 pm

The lift looks good. Were those drop axles to start with?
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby domoarigato » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks, I'm digging it for sure! Gonna start hanging stuff off the outside now! They are Dexter 3500lb straight (cambered) axles.

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:13 pm

Ok. It just looked kinda low to start for straight axles. In any case, very nice looking rig you have there!

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions