Another Awning Question

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Another Awning Question

Postby McDave » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:53 am

OK then. Glad they got back to you and hopefully you got it on the run. I made a couple of simple support brackets for the spring arms while in transit. Just some angle iron. (2) 90 deg. brackets and (1) piece of angle that spans the joint in the center, Also, a piece of vinyl gutter to cover the fabric to protect from UV and bird poop. Here's some pics. Looks like I need to wash trailer!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:39 am

Okay, awning is up and working. Still have a couple of questions. The sliders that attach to the fabric should be tightened, right? Without being tight I can see where they might just slide out the end when opening or closing (don't ask me how I know this). What is purpose of the stops? Since they go in the end bar before the sliders I don't understand what they do. Also, what is the best awning protector for the door? I bought one from Amazon and it seems a little clunky. Thanks again.
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:35 am

I can't help you on the door roller. I mounted mine a bit higher to avoid the door when opened. Also, I noticed that the fabric is rolled under the roller, it should go over the roller. See page 15 https://secure.img1.wfrcdn.com/docresou ... 274736.pdf
The only possible point of contact should be between the door and the spring arm as that is the lowest point of the awning. The fabric is above the arms.
Now, for the question on the sliders we may need to clarify the exact parts in question. So go to page 5 and pick out the parts you mean. To my knowledge nothing is actually attached to the fabric other than the spline that runs through the hems. There are some "stops" that keep the fabric in place. Items R and S I believe. They should keep the sliders in the track as well.
Ok, get back with me.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:26 am

It's part "Q" on the diagram. Arm-bar link. Thanks for the tip on the fabric bar direction, I'll get on that. If the "blocker, part P" stops were outside of the arm bar link it would make more sense.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:33 pm

OK, the sliders "Q" should be free to move in and out, "P" blocker just limits the travel toward the inside, "R and S" limit travel toward outside. This just keeps the spring arms from getting too far out of whack and prevent binding up when deploying or retracting.
I think that's the best explanation I can come with.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:58 am

Got the fabric mounted correctly. Wasn't really too hard, also fixed a couple of small things while I was working on it. I have the same issue with the door hitting the arm when deployed. Just live with it for now. It opens about halfway before it hits the door. Or, open the door, then deploy the awning.

awning5.jpg
awning5.jpg (135.02 KiB) Viewed 2836 times

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:05 pm

You could probably take some of the angle out and improve that somewhat. It looks to be very steep pitch. You may want to set it up so that you or the tallest person can just walk under the front rail without head contact, safely. Let that dimension determine the pitch when deployed. That was where I started because I am accident prone, really. Then if you need to elevate the roller assembly to clear the door you could basically just block it up 1-3". Just try to keep the pitch around 80 deg to the wall to ensure drainage vs pondage. Water is heavy at the end of a 8ft lever.
Small refinements will make a difference in performance and usability and how much you enjoy it overall. Just tune it in a little when you notice an issue you don't like or can improve on. A step ladder would be handy to have when you are camping and your helper is usually sort of "captive" with you anyway. Have you tried parking the Tri-Glide under there yet? A little shade on those seats can make a huge difference in August. Also, the sheepskin or beaver pelt seat covers really help when you are away from base camp. As a general rule female spousal units don't enjoy the sensation of red hot naugahyde in that region,
YMMV. I have always wondered how many nauga's are needed to make a set of covers, they seem very elusive in the wild.
just sayin',

McDave

PS. I think it looks pretty damn sharp on that HD trailer. Have you tried to fully deploy the awning, then check door clearance? The arm may be clear of the door then, or just limit the door swing to avoid contact if the door opens far enough to be user friendly. Wind can beat the hell out of a untethered door and bystanders.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:06 am

Thanks again for the help. Aleko didn't have an awning in orange and black, so the sand color was the second choice. Looking at the adjustment on the arms it's already at max for raising. Came from the factory that way. You say "block it up", do you mean some poles or supports on the end? I thought about that and still may do it. I just have a bunch of small jobs to get done on it before Sturgis, may get back to it. I think I did every possible thing wrong getting this awning on, but I did learn from it. I did order some magnetic screen doors for side and back door. Not too expensive and some folks have pretty good results with them. I like the "nauga" reference. I call it imitation vinyl.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby phoenixbound » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:32 am

The Tri-Glide fits nicely under the awning if we need to. Pretty much all set for Sturgis.
awning6.jpg
awning6.jpg (115.08 KiB) Viewed 2704 times

McDave wrote:You could probably take some of the angle out and improve that somewhat. It looks to be very steep pitch. You may want to set it up so that you or the tallest person can just walk under the front rail without head contact, safely. Let that dimension determine the pitch when deployed. That was where I started because I am accident prone, really. Then if you need to elevate the roller assembly to clear the door you could basically just block it up 1-3". Just try to keep the pitch around 80 deg to the wall to ensure drainage vs pondage. Water is heavy at the end of a 8ft lever.
Small refinements will make a difference in performance and usability and how much you enjoy it overall. Just tune it in a little when you notice an issue you don't like or can improve on. A step ladder would be handy to have when you are camping and your helper is usually sort of "captive" with you anyway. Have you tried parking the Tri-Glide under there yet? A little shade on those seats can make a huge difference in August. Also, the sheepskin or beaver pelt seat covers really help when you are away from base camp. As a general rule female spousal units don't enjoy the sensation of red hot naugahyde in that region,
YMMV. I have always wondered how many nauga's are needed to make a set of covers, they seem very elusive in the wild.
just sayin',

McDave

PS. I think it looks pretty damn sharp on that HD trailer. Have you tried to fully deploy the awning, then check door clearance? The arm may be clear of the door then, or just limit the door swing to avoid contact if the door opens far enough to be user friendly. Wind can beat the hell out of a untethered door and bystanders.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:46 am

That does fit nicely. It's just so handy to have shade/shelter ready to deploy. If you are in Kansas I am sure you are aware of how fast the weather can change in S.D. at rally time. In over 20 yrs of attending I have been caught in storms every time at least once. Some are very severe, Heavy rain, wind at 50+, large hail and possible tornados. And then it will be 102f until sundown, then 40f till sunup. We haven't really had much heat this year but many severe storms. Then again this could be the year for perfect weather, yeah, that sounds like a plan. If you are riding when it looks like a storm is headed your way, try to find a Bank drive thru or some other type of cover and just wait it out. It can be brutal and scary to ride through a storm and I have seen some badly damaged scoots from hail as well.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:45 pm

We have Kedar rail on three sides of the tear and tarps that slot in, during serious weather the ends can be dropped. They are help up with in some cases telescoping poles.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:02 am

Yea, I got some telescoping poles from Cabella's. I really like them, well made. They prop up the far end of the awning perfectly. It will be about a 10 minute setup time.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:56 pm

Duh, I just realized you are in Kansas City, Mo. Sorry for the mix up. Show me a map! But still I'm sure you have seen your share of those super cell storms that can flatten everything. They are somewhat common this time of the year in the Black Hills. Just be aware of the weather and where you might find some shelter.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions