Rookie towing questions

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Rookie towing questions

Postby back4more » Thu May 10, 2018 7:22 pm

I recently ordered a 6x8x6 weeroll nomad , and I plan to pull it with a nissan frontier that is rated to pull just over 6,500 pounds. The trailer is 1,400 pounds empty. I've pulled small boats at less than highway speed, but never pulled an enclosed trailer. I live in north Florida, and If possible, I'd like to travel all over Florida and south Georgia.

So i have a few questions.

1. I know my truck can easily handle the trailers weight, but with the trailer being 6 ft tall is there any issue to be concerned about?
2. I'm not a speeder but would like to travel at highway speed. What's a safe highway speed to travel while pulling an enclosed trailer?
3. Do I need any type of anti sway device or brake controller?
4. From the little bit of research I've done, I need to have 10% of the weight on the tongue. This can be measured using a simple bathroom scale? Does it matter where I put the rest of the weight?

Thank you for your patience!
back4more
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Rookie towing questions

Postby Pinstriper » Thu May 10, 2018 8:11 pm

1. I doubt you'll be able to tell it's back there unless you look in the mirrors.

2. Tongue weight should be 10-15% of the trailer weight. That said, so long as your tow vehicle doesn't sag in the rear or you end up exceeding the rear axle or hitch rated weight, more is better than less.

3. Whatever weight isn't on the tongue is on the trailer axles.

4. States have different laws regarding trailer weight and brakes required. 2,000# is typical but you may find some states as low as 1500# or even 1,000. When in doubt, put brakes on your trailer.

5. Fill your trailer for your trip, head to the scales, and weigh it. If possible raise the hitch off the ball so all the trailer weight - and nothing else - is on the scale. Then hook up again, keeping the tow vehicle wheels off the scale. Weigh again. The difference is the tongue weight.

6. Keep your speed to the posted limit or 60 mph whichever is less. When in doubt, slow down. When sure, slow down anyway.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby Joel.brian » Thu May 10, 2018 10:17 pm

Make sure you never have negative weight on your tongue and make sure you don’t put too much tongue weight that it sags your tow vehicle bad.

I don’t like to tow my trailer more than 70 but it seems like every time I tow it, somebody else blows by me with an enclosed landscaping trailer doing 85.

I wouldn’t get the stabilizer bars unless you’re having difficulty with the trailer swaying or getting blown around. I hear they work really well and are huge improvement to towing regardless if you have problems or not. Never tried one though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Karebru » Fri May 11, 2018 6:11 am

back4more wrote:I recently ordered a 6x8x6 weeroll nomad , and I plan to pull it with a nissan frontier that is rated to pull just over 6,500 pounds. The trailer is 1,400 pounds empty. I've pulled small boats at less than highway speed, but never pulled an enclosed trailer. I live in north Florida, and If possible, I'd like to travel all over Florida and south Georgia.

So i have a few questions.

1. I know my truck can easily handle the trailers weight, but with the trailer being 6 ft tall is there any issue to be concerned about?
2. I'm not a speeder but would like to travel at highway speed. What's a safe highway speed to travel while pulling an enclosed trailer?
3. Do I need any type of anti sway device or brake controller?
4. From the little bit of research I've done, I need to have 10% of the weight on the tongue. This can be measured using a simple bathroom scale? Does it matter where I put the rest of the weight?

Thank you for your patience!

I'm in Southwest Florida and have the same Frontier. 2017, 261hp, V6. :thumbsup:
I agree that you won't even know that it's back there, on a smooth road.
I recently got a 7 x 16 trailer to do a conversion. At 8 ft tall overall, I have a lot of frontal surface area. I haven't towed it much yet, but can definitely tell it's back there.
I believe it's due to wind resistance. It doesn't have any trouble going over bridges. (No hills here in the swamps.)
I seem to remember seeing a maximum frontal surface area in the tow ratings somewhere, and yeah... I'm over it.
I doubt my overall trailer weight after my camper build will be much over half of the maximum rating, but I plan on taking 'the scenic route' and staying off the interstates.

You should be great with your Frontier!
I might be pushing it a little. :roll:
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Fri May 11, 2018 7:02 am

All good info. I think you will be fine. The biggest difference over your boat trailer will be the wind resistance of the trailer due to height. It will drag down your MPG the most... more so than the weight on flat ground. You will also notice higher crosswinds and big trucks coming up on you. Pull it carefully a few times in different conditions and see how it does. I'd hesitate to recommend all the anti-sway, brakes, and etc. as it does not seem to be that large and the truck has plenty of margin and capability for that size trailer.

The only thing I can say about putting trailer brakes on a single axle where the truck is plenty big enough and trailer brakes aren't really needed for stopping so much is that besides stopping, a tap of the trailer brakes will straighten the rig out real quickly if you get into a situation where the trailer starts to fish tale.. If you are loaded correctly and etc.. probably won't happen just because it is not that long.. but something to throw in the back of your mind for later. Trailer Brakes have saved my bacon a few times in the past, but the trailers were much larger... most recently when coming home on the highway on a windy morning when a crosswind burst grabbed my trailer and pushed my over very quickly. My friend behind me pulling his trailer saw the whole thing and though I had a blowout... The sway bars helped for sure but it all happens so quickly.. but the trailer brakes hit hard first at that speed and pulled the rig straight.

Best of luck on your adventures!
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby back4more » Fri May 11, 2018 8:53 pm

Thanks everyone for all that great information. This is very helpful!
back4more
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Fri May 11, 2018 10:53 pm

Here is a useful tool to help you with trailer weight and balance. Just enter your numbers where you see the red numbers. The program will do the math for you.
https://www.engineersedge.com/calculato ... alance.htm
Good luck!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions