Please Assist - Multiple Conversion Questions

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Please Assist - Multiple Conversion Questions

Postby A_New_Identity » Wed May 16, 2018 3:57 am

Feels like I'm bursting into the door with a monster truck with this first post. I've been a long time lurker and watch/read everything I can on conversions. I have a few questions that have been bugging me regarding the conversion of my enclosed trailer. I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

backstory - 7W x 16L x 8H v-nose double axle. Will be moving to an RV park for 3 years and then possibly moving across the country. Each RV park space has 30 or 50 amp power, water, and full sewer access.

Average high in August is 90f, Average low in January is 23f.

1. Should i go with a mini-split or window A/C. I'd like to utilize the 30amp power due to cost (100 less/month). For the winter i'll have a grizzly wood stove. I've read that most mini-splits are only good for temperatures above 30. For times when i'm away from home and waiting on the wood stove to get going would it be better to have the mini-split assisting or just get a couple electric heaters or buddy propane heater?

2. In regards to awning patios. Are they worth the price? Do they stand the test of time if utilized year round? I'd like the ability to be outside through the nicer months in a screened and rain protected atmosphere when i can. I'll also have my motorcycle with me and it would be nice to have the motorcycle under the patio area (and put it in storage through the winter).

3. White/grey tanks - for the first 3 years the trailer will not move. Is it worth it to install the tanks now or is there a way i can safely have the grey go straight out the trailer to the sewer without having much issue w/ smell.

4. Insulation - I've already installed 3/4" insulation in the wall ribs/ceiling and expand foamed between the ribs. From what i've read it would be benificial to install more. Would the best route be to install (for example) 1 inch deep x 3 inch wide wood on top of the current ribs and install some 1 inch insulation and rewall the trailer? Was thinking the wood would insulate the metal better.

5. Dogs - I currently have 2 dogs. One is 30pds, the other is 15 pds. The only time I'll be away from the trailer is when at school or shopping. As long as I kennel them and take them on lots of walks when i'm home, does anyone see a problem with keeping dogs in such a small space?

Electric items i'd like to utilize (not listed above)- microwave, water line warmers in the winter, laptop, refrig (haven't decided on apartment or economy power), security system with TV, couple led lights.

Thank you for reading this short novel, looking forward to the responses. Hoping to remove a little anxiety i'm feeling in regards to choices.
Last edited by A_New_Identity on Wed May 16, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_New_Identity
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Multiple Anxiety Inducing Questions

Postby Padilen » Wed May 16, 2018 6:25 am

While dogs do often get separation anxiety the size of space isn't the cause. Smaller spaces give dogs security. It's sounds that I'd be concerned with. People talking, equipment running, cars, loud storms and fireworks. I'd suggest you leave a fan on, and or music, white noise etc.
My dog likes my CTC, but last year he damaged the door and scratched the floor. "They" always say don't use a crate for punishment. Well he was mis behaving, so I put him in the trailer. He didn't do the damage because he was mad. He was just determined to get back outside.
He knows how to open doors I have to dead bolt my house doors. Even when we're outside. I failed with him! He thinks he's the one in charge. Very smart he'll check all the doors to see if I've missed one. It's not always because he wants in. Its just a closed door, that needs to be opened.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Re: Multiple Anxiety Inducing Questions

Postby A_New_Identity » Wed May 16, 2018 2:26 pm

Padilen wrote:While dogs do often get separation anxiety the size of space isn't the cause. Smaller spaces give dogs security. It's sounds that I'd be concerned with. People talking, equipment running, cars, loud storms and fireworks. I'd suggest you leave a fan on, and or music, white noise etc.
My dog likes my CTC, but last year he damaged the door and scratched the floor. "They" always say don't use a crate for punishment. Well he was mis behaving, so I put him in the trailer. He didn't do the damage because he was mad. He was just determined to get back outside.
He knows how to open doors I have to dead bolt my house doors. Even when we're outside. I failed with him! He thinks he's the one in charge. Very smart he'll check all the doors to see if I've missed one. It's not always because he wants in. Its just a closed door, that needs to be opened.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. My dogs have always went into their own kennel when I leave so that shouldn't be an issue. Will keep something running inside for sure.

Another concern I had was temperature monitoring. I'm sure it shouldn't be hard to find a wifi temperature control/notification device that will let me know if it gets too hot or loses connection (possible blown breaker).
A_New_Identity
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Please Assist - Multiple Conversion Questions

Postby hankaye » Wed May 16, 2018 3:26 pm

A_New_Identity, Howdy;

Also, WELCOME to the fun house :lol: :? 8) !!!
I'll attempt to answer each in turn directly below the question.

A_New_Identity wrote:Feels like I'm bursting into the door with a monster truck with this first post. I've been a long time lurker and watch/read everything I can on conversions. I have a few questions that have been bugging me regarding the conversion of my enclosed trailer. I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

backstory - 7W x 16L x 8H v-nose double axle. Will be moving to an RV park for 3 years and then possibly moving across the country. Each RV park space has 30 or 50 amp power, water, and full sewer access.
Average high in August is 90f, Average low in January is 23f.

OK, as an RV Park resident I'l mention that most require a fully self contained unit water,& sewage included. Not all have a shower house for bathing needs.
so, you might look into that before designing your interior, some have done more with a smaller unit then you have. You may want to inquire if they have
"Dry Camping" locations that would allow you to not have to worry about water lines freezing or needing to install tanks until you feel you need them.
Depending on where you intend to locate climate wise you may also look into skirting actually helps no matter where you are.

1. Should i go with a mini-split or window A/C. I'd like to utilize the 30amp power due to cost (100 less/month). For the winter i'll have a grizzly wood stove. I've read that most mini-splits are only good for temperatures above 30. For times when i'm away from home and waiting on the wood stove to get going would it be better to have the mini-split assisting or just get a couple electric heaters or buddy propane heater?

Again, where you are can help decide on the a/c stuff ( most on here are going with the window style units),or perhaps a swamp cooler
if you are in the high desert area of the SW. By all means go with the 30 amp. Why not just go with an RV type of heater like this; https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv- ... er_79-1906
or go 'fancy' and install one of these; http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/newp ... fireplace/
either one runs on propane and 12vdc. Exhaust is vented outside and won't get tipped over by small furry critters.

2. In regards to awning patios. Are they worth the price? Do they stand the test of time if utilized year round? I'd like the ability to be outside through the nicer months in a screened and rain protected atmosphere when i can. I'll also have my motorcycle with me and it would be nice to have the motorcycle under the patio area (and put it in storage through the winter).

Re. these I have zero opinion.

3. White/grey tanks - for the first 3 years the trailer will not move. Is it worth it to install the tanks now or is there a way i can safely have the grey go straight out the trailer to the sewer without having much issue w/ smell.

Ok, I think you ment BLACK /GRAY tanks, re-read what I said way up top about dry camping v. with full hook-ups. For gray water (sink drippin's), try one of these; https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/ele ... nk_88-1480
various sizes and campin' on the cheap (Dry campin'), it will pay for itself in a few months. it will also work for Black tanks. OH, ya don't need to buy fancy-schamcy "RV tp" any good single ply will do the job and not clog the Parks system.

4. Insulation - I've already installed 3/4" insulation in the wall ribs/ceiling and expand foamed between the ribs. From what i've read it would be benificial to install more. Would the best route be to install (for example) 1 inch deep x 3 inch wide wood on top of the current ribs and install some 1 inch insulation and rewall the trailer? Was thinking the wood would insulate the metal better.

Why not see how what ya got works first? From what you've indicated the area you intend to move to is moderate IMO, ...

5. Dogs - I currently have 2 dogs. One is 30pds, the other is 15 pds. The only time I'll be away from the trailer is when at school or shopping. As long as I kennel them and take them on lots of walks when i'm home, does anyone see a problem with keeping dogs in such a small space?

Check with the Management at the Park as to their policy, some are stricter then the Sisters at St. Agnes, others not so much... personal experience has
lead me to believe that those with a more lenient attitude towards pets are better parks overall.

Electric items i'd like to utilize (not listed above)- microwave, water line warmers in the winter, laptop, refrig (haven't decided on apartment or economy power), security system with TV, couple led lights.

ALL should work just fine with the 30 amp powder supply didn't mention it above but installing a Progressive or WFCO one of these;
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/ele ... er_55-0575

Thank you for reading this short novel, looking forward to the responses. Hoping to remove a little anxiety i'm feeling in regards to choices.

You'll notice that I used a few links from PPL, I have no business with them except as a satisfied customer. Hope I was able to answer most or at least some of your questions.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ris » Sun May 20, 2018 12:32 pm

We put 2 inch in ceiling and 1.5 inches on the walls. Put a full 1'' board by 2 inches and add another full inch of insulation. You will always be glad you did. You can put in a small 4 circuit breaker box and feed it with your 30 amps. Just be aware of how many amps your a/c, water heater and other stuff adds up to. If you use more than 30 amps it will kick off the pedestal breaker. No comment on dogs, we just installed awning and love it. Not sure about a permanent awning. We use a small 5000 btu window unit and it works ok in our 8 x 18 x 6.5 high unit but we only a/c 16 feet of the length. We are also putting 1 or 2 inches under the floor insulation. Do lots of research and talk to the people who run the park where you are going to move.
Richard
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Tue May 22, 2018 3:01 pm

I like the temp remote idea if you have animals. I'm sure there is a blutooth (I don't even know what that means) or similar that would call your phone to alert. I have a wireless thermometer and I put the outdoor sensor inside the cabin so I could monitor the temp from the house. I also rigged the AC and a heater to a wall t-stat via IR relays so I can keep it at reasonable temps, low 40 high 80 and just adjust it if I am in there. Coleman makes a kit for rooftop AC's, but I built this one. Still need to winterize plumbing etc. but it heats up to reasonable temp pretty quick and cools down instantly. I can watch it cycle on the monitor in the house.
I didn't insulate floor and I wish I had. I'm gonna try to get some under there wherever I can this fall. I do have a wool rug that makes a huge difference in the winter. 2" insul. ceiling, painted roof with Henry reflective paint, 1.5" insul. walls.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Tue May 22, 2018 3:40 pm

On #3 I saw no direct reply, so thought I try to help with new information.

Just make sure to put in traps on all your drains to include sinks and showers. Then you should not get gas backing up.

You did not mention Black Water.. if you are going to be in a fixed location with no drop in holding tank, just install a house type toilet and put a very slight grade/slope on the drain pipe until it drops into the sewer. You do not want the water to run away from solids on the flush where they separate and the poop sits there. You want to float that nasty stuff downstream with water slowly so it does not clog pipes. The toilet will have the trap so no stinky gas backing up there either. I do not recall the proper grade for a sewer pipe, but ask any plumber. They should know.

All in all, you may be better served by installing a BW tank now with RV toilet. You will have less issues.

Grey water not as critical... just have traps, you will need them for the same reason with a holding tank.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Last edited by flboy on Tue May 22, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue May 22, 2018 3:59 pm

Sorry, I forgot to answer some of that question.
You may be able to build a rigid awning/ screen room/ bike storage cheaper than the Rv type. I'm thinking of a simple 2x4 frame that sits on the ground and butts up to the side where the door is. A couple pieces of metal roofing in an attractive color with a pitch that sheds water and blocks the sun, and some screen or tarp material. The roof could be tarp as well.
Here is a link for canopy supplies. There is a calculater/design tool that will help you design what you need.
https://www.creativeshelters.com/

If a mini split will do the job where you are and it is economically feasible, jump on it. One and done. Take the rest of the day off.

3 kinds of tanks. Fresh water, Grey, and Black. Grey can be eliminated by diverting to black tank or ground if acceptable.
Black can also be eliminated if sewer is close, but it is problematic for moving solids and keeping the hose clean. you may opt to use PVC or ABS sewer pipe instead. Be aware of the local codes etc.
Fresh isn't needed if you only ever need city water. If you go to a remote area without city water you would need a fresh tank. You could carry that in the pickup bed, possibly.

OK. I think that's all I got.
Good Luck!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby A_New_Identity » Mon May 28, 2018 7:17 pm

Thank you all on the feedback. I sat down and read every page of FLboys build which really helped me out anxiety wise :)

I'm going to start purchasing supplies tomorrow. First up is going to be a mini split, getting a little warm outside :)
A_New_Identity
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions