Welding?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Welding?

Postby McDave » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:22 pm

That is great advice Ottsville. I took a lot of classes at night. You can pick up all kinds of skills.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby kirkupnorth » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:59 pm

Ottsville wrote:The new line of Harbor Freight welders(the orange ones) look pretty good. They are your typical chinese inverters but the come with a 1 year no hassle warranty. I considered one when I was shopping.

The thing with welding is that once you have one, you'll find all kinds of things to build or repair. Get the best welder you can afford.

Check your local community college - many times you can find and evening class for learning to weld which will give you access to various kinds of equipment.

Checking for a community college class is an excellent idea! If you aren't near a CC, you could also talk to your local public school district's "Community Ed" or "Adult Ed" department. If the school has a decent industrial arts program, they might offer some evening classes.
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby rmcrist » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:17 am

Great advice and thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Postby JRAnt74 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:43 am

Set to start welding on my priject!Image

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
JRAnt74
Teardrop Builder

Postby jmanscotch » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:40 pm

I'll second the Hobart Handler 125. It's a great little 120V welder for under $500. I use mine for MIG welding and like it so far. I tried it with flux core and didn't care much for that, messy and seemed like poor penetration.

Spend a few days watching different youtube videos on MIG welding then practice and practice. It's fun to learn.
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:12 pm

My feeling you would be money ahead having some one do it for you. I did weld inspection during my inspection career, everything from the space shuttle to carnival rides. As long as you are not working on critical structural welds i.e. tongue, if it is screwed up it is not a disaster waiting to happen :roll:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby domoarigato » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:48 pm

Ya, what Shadow said. There is a running thread (joke) that has been going on for years over at weldingweb on the absolutely scary stuff that people attempt to build with a 110v welder. Agreed, window headers fine.. prolly want .030 wire vs .035 for better heat regardless w a 110v. No, trailer building tho.. Yikes!
Shadow Catcher wrote:My feeling you would be money ahead having some one do it for you. I did weld inspection during my inspection career, everything from the space shuttle to carnival rides. As long as you are not working on critical structural welds i.e. tongue, if it is screwed up it is not a disaster waiting to happen :roll:

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:12 pm

I know a guy who built a 9 sec Mustang with a 110 welder. Not something I would recommend, but if you know what you are doing, technique is everything. My little 220v lincoln SP170 plus is not supposed to weld anything thicker than 1/8" with .030 wire and co2 argon mix. I have actually got some acceptable penetration on 1/2". Granted, if I need real super strength I break out the Lincoln AC/DC buzz box and some 7018 LH. If I were starting from scratch I would seriously look into a multi-process machine.

A couple of my welders:

Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby domoarigato » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:40 pm

In regards to roll cage, a catostophic wreck would be the true test of the welds (and roll cage design, if not a kit). But your right though, if you have a good eye for penetration and fill, you can stretch the capabilities of a 110v machine and do a lot of stuff. Thing is there are folks trying to accomplish said feats without having this "eye" and some seem like a disaster waiting to happen, certainly not proper. Just a fair warning to weekend warriors who may have just bought a welder two weeks ago and looking to set the world on fire.

-Domo
Iconfabul8 wrote:I know a guy who built a 9 sec Mustang with a 110 welder. Not something I would recommend, but if you know what you are doing, technique is everything. My little 220v lincoln SP170 plus is not supposed to weld anything thicker than 1/8" with .030 wire and co2 argon mix. I have actually got some acceptable penetration on 1/2". Granted, if I need real super strength I break out the Lincoln AC/DC buzz box and some 7018 LH. If I were starting from scratch I would seriously look into a multi-process machine.

A couple of my welders:

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby domoarigato » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:51 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:I know a guy who built a 9 sec Mustang with a 110 welder. Not something I would recommend, but if you know what you are doing, technique is everything. My little 220v lincoln SP170 plus is not supposed to weld anything thicker than 1/8" with .030 wire and co2 argon mix. I have actually got some acceptable penetration on 1/2". Granted, if I need real super strength I break out the Lincoln AC/DC buzz box and some 7018 LH. If I were starting from scratch I would seriously look into a multi-process machine.

A couple of my welders:

I have a Tweco/Thermal Arc Fabricator 211i which is a multi process. Had it for about 4 years now. Used MIG, TIG and stick quite extensively and have had zero problems. I'm currently using it with .030 flux core (so I dont have to drag gas bottles into the trailer) for all the thin wall tubing welds. 50' 50A extension allows me to use it in the trailer as well. I had one of those lincoln buzz boxes near 30yrs ago, and they work just fine. Hard to kill an older transformer design. Those are decent little stick welders, the AC/DC boxes.

-Domo

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby phoenixbound » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:15 am

Any thoughts on this HF welder? I am interested in welding for some small projects. Have not welded before, but would like to try. Most of the reviews seem pretty good. If not this welder, any other 110V recommendations?

HF Welder.JPG
HF Welder.JPG (71.52 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby Ottsville » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:35 am

phoenixbound wrote:Any thoughts on this HF welder? I am interested in welding for some small projects. Have not welded before, but would like to try. Most of the reviews seem pretty good. If not this welder, any other 110V recommendations?

HF Welder.JPG

It'll do small sheet metal projects.

What's your budget for a welder?
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby phoenixbound » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:45 am

Probably around $200 tops for now. I don't want to spend too much till I see how it works out for me. But, I don't want to buy a welder with such limited capability that I can't really do much with it.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:26 am

Here are a few reviews on the pro-series-mmig125. Seems to be a decent welder for the money and about what you are looking for. Walmart has a good price on it but is apparently out of stock.
http://www.mechanicalcaveman.com/best-1 ... lt-review/
http://weldercritic.com/pro-series-mmig ... it-review/
https://abeasts.com/pro-series-mmig125- ... ck-review/
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby phoenixbound » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:54 pm

Interesting, $369 on Amazon. $163 at Wal-Mart online. But like you say it's out of stock. I will watch for it. Thanks.

phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions