Welding?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Welding?

Postby rmcrist » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:00 pm

For those of you welding frames into the trailer (for windows etc) what type of welder are you using? I’m looking to try this and would like one that works within my dedicated 20amp outlet.

Any tips and suggestions are appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Re: Welding?

Postby domoarigato » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:19 pm

Mine is a 220v unit, but a 110v mig welder would work just fine considering the material thickness. If your just looking for a welding machine to use here and there, you could easily settle for one of the ebay inverter welders, under the condition that it has many good reviews. There is lots of chatter put there concerning these off brand knock off welding machines. A LOT are junk, but there are a few decent ones out there that still come with a few risks (no local repair center, should it need repaired you would have to ship it to a regional repair facility) They have become more proficient in duplicating other designs though, and the decent ones seem to be holding up for a fair amount of hobbyist needs. I picked up an AHP 200X AC TIG unit recently for welding aluminum and it has a following of hobbyists that claim its a decent machine. 200A AC/DC high frequency inverter unit with super flexible TIG leads and a flex head torch for $800~. Not bad as long as it holds up, time will tell.

If budget is a concern, you might want to look at the Everlast units. Some claim they are decent, I have never used one myself. Look around at welding machine repair shops and ask what brands they service. I have one in my area that services a lot of brands including a few chinese brands. If you have a bigger budget, you can look at the hardware store Lincoln and Miller units. You'll be looking for something that can run .030 self shielding flux core wire @ 110v 20A or less. Bear in mind the big names still outsource these big box store welders offshore, but the can be serviced at any local welding repair shop should you have any problems. Thermal Arc/Tweco welders are pretty decent as well and can be serviced at most repair shops.

It's a lot of information and something worth researching before buying, but I hope the above helps. Sorry a little scatter brained, actually working on my trailer now and saw the thread notification. Back to work..

-Domo

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rmcrist » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:14 pm

domoarigato wrote:Mine is a 220v unit, but a 110v mig welder would work just fine considering the material thickness. If your just looking for a welding machine to use here and there, you could easily settle for one of the ebay inverter welders, under the condition that it has many good reviews. There is lots of chatter put there concerning these off brand knock off welding machines. A LOT are junk, but there are a few decent ones out there that still come with a few risks (no local repair center, should it need repaired you would have to ship it to a regional repair facility) They have become more proficient in duplicating other designs though, and the decent ones seem to be holding up for a fair amount of hobbyist needs. I picked up an AHP 200X AC TIG unit recently for welding aluminum and it has a following of hobbyists that claim its a decent machine. 200A AC/DC high frequency inverter unit with super flexible TIG leads and a flex head torch for $800~. Not bad as long as it holds up, time will tell.

If budget is a concern, you might want to look at the Everlast units. Some claim they are decent, I have never used one myself. Look around at welding machine repair shops and ask what brands they service. I have one in my area that services a lot of brands including a few chinese brands. If you have a bigger budget, you can look at the hardware store Lincoln and Miller units. You'll be looking for something that can run .030 self shielding flux core wire @ 110v 20A or less. Bear in mind the big names still outsource these big box store welders offshore, but the can be serviced at any local welding repair shop should you have any problems. Thermal Arc/Tweco welders are pretty decent as well and can be serviced at most repair shops.

It's a lot of information and something worth researching before buying, but I hope the above helps. Sorry a little scatter brained, actually working on my trailer now and saw the thread notification. Back to work..

-Domo

thank you and very helpful! Yes, this is definitely a hobby initiative but believe it can add a lot of value to our build. I was looking at a basic Flux 125 welder from Harbor Freight. Seems easy enough to handle. Any thoughts?

rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Postby domoarigato » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:20 pm

Its cheap for sure @ HF. I have no direct experience with their welders. I would certainly buy the extended warranty though if the quality of their other products are any reflection of the welder quality..

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Stormcrow » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:25 pm

Millermatic 211. I’ve been using mine pretty consistently since 2011 with no issues. I primarily use it with 220, but it can work of off 110 if need be and I wouldn’t think the interior framework would be a problem with that. I also have the AHP TIG unit and it’s a much steeper self-taught learning curve, I’ve found. Looking forward to being able to make some light-weight aluminum stuff for the trailer, though. If I had to pick between the two right now, I’d stick with the Miller. Even though it doesn’t do stainless or aluminum (without the spool-gun) it’s just so quick and easy to use in comparison.

I originally had it on a cart/workbench type of thing with 4” casters, but after rolling it over and through dirt, rocks, and hay to fix my neighbors horse stall, I decided to relocate it to this dolly set-up
Image20150720 010_zpsa73c5umh

Image20150720 011_zpsvcbmf9cj

Now with a generator in tow it opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Mailbox upgrade
Image20180128_093053
Image20180128_130453

If I had to do it all over again I’d still go with the Miller.
Todd.

7x14 Trail Boss: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=64755
Stormcrow
Teardrop Builder

Postby shootr » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:53 pm

rmcrist wrote:
domoarigato wrote:Mine is a 220v unit, but a 110v mig welder would work just fine considering the material thickness. If your just looking for a welding machine to use here and there, you could easily settle for one of the ebay inverter welders, under the condition that it has many good reviews. There is lots of chatter put there concerning these off brand knock off welding machines. A LOT are junk, but there are a few decent ones out there that still come with a few risks (no local repair center, should it need repaired you would have to ship it to a regional repair facility) They have become more proficient in duplicating other designs though, and the decent ones seem to be holding up for a fair amount of hobbyist needs. I picked up an AHP 200X AC TIG unit recently for welding aluminum and it has a following of hobbyists that claim its a decent machine. 200A AC/DC high frequency inverter unit with super flexible TIG leads and a flex head torch for $800~. Not bad as long as it holds up, time will tell.

-Domo

thank you and very helpful! Yes, this is definitely a hobby initiative but believe it can add a lot of value to our build. I was looking at a basic Flux 125 welder from Harbor Freight. Seems easy enough to handle. Any thoughts?

I have the HF flux core 110v welder - same goals as you're looking for.

Lessons learned include:

*Throw the wire it comes with in the garbage and buy some Lincoln or Miller flux core wire - there really is a difference

*Clean the heck out of what you're welding - don't buy the hype that it isn't necc.

*Try to use a real grounding clamp on the material - the magnetic grounding thingy's are an issue IMHO

*Don't get the cheapest HF welding helmet, but their mid-range one seems pretty decent for what little I do

Just get a bunch of scraps to practice on - changing power and wire speed settings to dial in a good weld on the material you'll be working on. Watch some youtube videos for flux core welding - can be helpful if you're just starting out.

For less than $100, it's done all I ever wanted (goofy yard art, fencing, mounts for stuff, etc.)
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby ferbal » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:01 pm

I have a cheap HF welder and it works fine. Of course I have nothing to compare it too. I have had it for years and it still works fine. If I was more than a shade tree hack I might consider investing in a real welder but for what little I do it works great. I welded my entire frame with it. The welds are ugly and I went through 4 pounds of wire but everything is solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ferbal
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Hobard Handler 125. It's a 120V wire feed that works great for metal up to 3/16" thick.

My better half welding up a chassis for her son's wedding:

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby rmcrist » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:03 pm

When welding the bars inside the trailer to support the windows, is there any precaution to take that will avoid damaging the trailer? I’ve seen people use wood frames around the windows in place of where they cut the whole, but that opens up opportunity for rotting etc.

rmcrist
Teardrop Builder

Postby Rainier70 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:09 pm

When cutting the supports and welding our window frames we loosened the skin in the area and shimmed it out. That way it didn't get cut accidentally and the paint didn't get burnt.
Good luck!

Edit: You can see two of the shims in this picture. A horizontal one by the welding ground, and if you look close, a vertical shim is right behind where he is welding.

Last edited by Rainier70 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ottsville » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:13 pm

tony.latham wrote:

My better half welding up a chassis for her son's wedding:

:thumbsup:

Tony

Now that is sexy! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby JRAnt74 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:43 pm

I'll weigh in with my 2 pennies worth. I bought my self a Lincoln electric 100HD (apparently a package they put together solely for home depot) about 8 yrs ago taught myself how to weld by watching youtube videos and practice (lots and lots of practice!) Used to rebuild two utility trailers so far. Also built a rolling cart for my old toolbox, keeps my ramps, floor jacks, jack and toolbox all together. I've just been running flux core, not doing enough production to pay for gas upgrade.
James
JRAnt74
Teardrop Builder

Postby domoarigato » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:54 pm

rmcrist wrote:When welding the bars inside the trailer to support the windows, is there any precaution to take that will avoid damaging the trailer? I’ve seen people use wood frames around the windows in place of where they cut the whole, but that opens up opportunity for rotting etc.

Yep, look at my build thread. Steel header, wood window frame. You want to slide a piece of thin sheet metal behind the joint to weld so you don't bubble the exterior paint.

-Domo

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby domoarigato » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:56 pm

rmcrist wrote:When welding the bars inside the trailer to support the windows, is there any precaution to take that will avoid damaging the trailer? I’ve seen people use wood frames around the windows in place of where they cut the whole, but that opens up opportunity for rotting etc.

As JRant said, lots of practice. I was trained in a high school vo-tech program and OJT, but yeah.. youtube videos sll the way. Practice on thin stuff before you weld on the actual trailer struts. Get beyond, blowing hole stage. Manual pulse weld is what you'll want to do with the thin stiff.

-D

domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ottsville » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:03 am

The new line of Harbor Freight welders(the orange ones) look pretty good. They are your typical chinese inverters but the come with a 1 year no hassle warranty. I considered one when I was shopping.

The thing with welding is that once you have one, you'll find all kinds of things to build or repair. Get the best welder you can afford.

Check your local community college - many times you can find and evening class for learning to weld which will give you access to various kinds of equipment.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions