Interstate narrow track build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Interstate narrow track build

Postby rebar » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:15 pm

I think Iv locked down the sale of this 92 16 foot Interstate Cargo Trailer a hour north of me.. This cargo is to replace a 06 featherlite TH I used to own, and neither were easy to find. It doesn't look like much. But that's the whole idea, and cost 1/14 of the TH, so far..
I wont be to worried about damage and drag it up and down any road. Thieves wont pay much attention to it either..
Plans are to have a nice bathroom and kitchen maybe. And attach a large tent to the back for sleeping.. 16" wheels and lift. Room for my motorcycle and gear. Kayak on top.
I just hope its no worse than the picture..
Attachments
narrowtrack1.jpg
narrowtrack1.jpg (133.29 KiB) Viewed 5973 times
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Re: Interstate narrow track build

Postby hankaye » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:00 pm

rebar, Howdy;

Hope ya get it. Looks like a good base to build on. A heat gun and a razor scrapper should
help ya get the decals off with only a small amount of elbow grease. Lookin' forward to
seein' what ya do with it.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby PrecisionLook612 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:26 pm

Low starting cost is always good! Saves more money for the important comforts inside!

Looking at the outside I would take a really good look at the wood inside for water leaks and rot. If you plan on throwing up insulation anyway you should be able to re-seal the seams and the ceiling really well before you go to town on the inside!

Looking forward to the build!
PrecisionLook612
Teardrop Builder

Postby rebar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:58 am

Thanks guys..

Yes low cost is good and I agreed to pay the asking price of 1k.. But it all depends on if there are no surprises.. A plywood floor needing replaced is nothing as I planned on gutting it and starting over if nothing is rusted out. The floor should be the only wood. But if its damaged, rusted, or dented enough to compromise the strength or water tight integrity, I wont buy it because even in good shape it will be my money pit.

I sure hope there aren't any surprises, because its not easy finding narrow track trailers.. And it even has the rounded roof I want! Narrow tracks are rare enough where I'm willing to overlook some things.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:11 am

What is a "narrow track?" I am not familiar with that term as it relates to the CT. Tx.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby rebar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 am

flboy wrote:What is a "narrow track?" I am not familiar with that term as it relates to the CT. Tx.

A narrow track is a 7' wide enclosed, but with the wheels under it in wheel wells, instead of on the outside with fenders. The regular 7' wide with fenders are just as wide as a 8.5' enclosed and I want my trailer wheel track to match my truck wheel track width.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:56 am

I see. Thanks. I can see the benefit on the road so if the TV clears the trailer will.. any other benefits? Just curious. Thanks.

Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby rebar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:40 pm

flboy wrote:I see. Thanks. I can see the benefit on the road so if the TV clears the trailer will.. any other benefits? Just curious. Thanks.

No other benefits. One negative is the interior wheel wells.

I want to travel narrow roads like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfP81q2XqnY And feel more comfortable knowing what ever my truck can fit between, so will the trailer. Or, if my truck tires haven't slid off the edge of the cliff, neither will the trailer hopefully.

I'm all about boon docking in colorado lately. Last time I was in colorado, my 24' TH and 2wd prevented me from getting away from the crowded campgrounds.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby mallymal » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:24 am

I don’t see the enclosed wheel wells as a disadvantage.... depending on headroom, why not build a raised bed platform over them, giving useful storage underneath? Just a thought... good luck whatever route you go down.....
mallymal
The 300 Club

Postby rebar » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:33 am

mallymal wrote:I don’t see the enclosed wheel wells as a disadvantage.... depending on headroom, why not build a raised bed platform over them, giving useful storage underneath? Just a thought... good luck whatever route you go down.....

Hi mallymal..

I might remake interior wheel wells shorter/narrower/rounder after I put a 4" lift on the suspension.. But the back of the trailer is reserved for a motorcycle or two.
Sleeping will be on cot's in a huge tent attached to the trailer. The trailer will have a bathroom and maybe a kitchen but I haven't decided if the kitchen should be a fold down or pull out on the outside, but yet still inside the tent.. Last time I went camping premade meals in the microwave were more convenient.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby rebar » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:52 pm

I doesn't surprise me, but the seller welshed on our monday agreement. He says the club wasn't as broke as they thought and they decided not to sell. I say someone offered 1100.

Anyway, I knew I should have waited before posting this.. But I have a few others in my sights..

The Kiefer Built trailer is really nice..
https://ottumwa.craigslist.org/tro/d/7x ... 58668.html

And this Welcargo trailer. I imagine its a wells cargo, but maybe not..
https://wausau.craigslist.org/tro/d/wel ... 79080.html

The Welcargo is allot further though..
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:50 am

Patience is a virtue. The right deal will come along at the right time. All you can really do is keep looking and be ready for it. But there is probably no reason to settle for less than what you want. Good Luck with the search.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:52 am

rebar, Howdy;

Sorry to hear about the offer withdrawal. Crap happens.

Something to ponder, ... when towing ya need to take the nose of the tow vehicle
deeper into the curve to allow the trailer to track closer to the inside of the curve.
It's called 'off-tracking' and if you're not aware of it it can bite ya on the butt. Here's
some info. about that if you are a newbie to trailering, if you've got experience then
it's a reminder.;
https://www.google.com/search?q=trailer ... fox-b-1-ab

Most Forest Roads are made wide enough for the Forest Service (FS), to haul their
trucks and sometimes even a trailer along them. Always get the most recent maps as
the FS has been shutting some roads down here an there. A call to the area Ranger
will fill in the knowledge gaps.

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rebar » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:40 am

McDave wrote:Patience is a virtue. The right deal will come along at the right time. All you can really do is keep looking and be ready for it. But there is probably no reason to settle for less than what you want. Good Luck with the search.

McDave

Thanks Dave.. This is actually the second one of these narrow tracks that slipped through my fingers.. By the way the last seller sounded, it was a done deal but I should have known better.

I made a $3k offer on this 7x14 Kiefer Built narrow track trailer and the owner seems motivated.. Unfortunately, its 2.5 hrs south, even though the owner lives only 1 hr south..
https://ottumwa.craigslist.org/tro/d/7x ... 58668.html

hankaye wrote:rebar, Howdy;

Sorry to hear about the offer withdrawal. Crap happens.

Something to ponder, ... when towing ya need to take the nose of the tow vehicle
deeper into the curve to allow the trailer to track closer to the inside of the curve.

hank

Yup Hank.. I used to own a 24' toyhauler and know about off-tracking.. But the whole thing about my narrow track quest is that the trailer, and mainly the trailer wheel track, isn't any wider than my truck. Going straight forward,, if my truck fits, so will the trailer.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:07 pm

rebar, Howdy;

Remember reading that you'd had one, but we all forget at times which is why we
see black tire rubs on curbing, generally in corners. New folks aren't aware until
they jump a few curbs and a reminder for the infrequent trailer puller is all I'm trying
to provide. I spent 10 years as an Over the Road driver and try to remind myself
each time I set out with a trailer.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions