Circulating air without a roof vent ?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Circulating air without a roof vent ?

Postby back4more » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:32 pm

I ordered a 6x8x6 without a roof vent because I'm limited to approximately 93 inches of clearance in my carport. Does anyone have a small setup, without a roof vent., but a good solution to circulating air? I plan on installing a 5k btu window unit, and will have two sliding windows, but still need a flow of clean air right? This will be my first camper and I live in sunny Florida. Thanks!
back4more
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Circulating air without a roof vent ?

Postby hankaye » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:53 pm

back4more, Howdy;

Welcome to the maddness :? , :lol: .

If you have the factory vents 1 in front (upper), & 1 in back
opposite side (lower), then you might install some computer fans
on the inboard section of them to create a larger volume of moving
air. Just be sure to weather proof the wiring connections.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby back4more » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:35 pm

hankaye wrote:back4more, Howdy;

hank

Thanks hank. I ordered a Weeroll Nomad and they do not come with the vents you mentioned. I did think about ordering a couple from Amazon though. I like you idea about the computer fans !
back4more
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ottsville » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:33 am

If you have windows, all you might want is something to move air. I was going to suggest exactly what Hank said - computer fans. They are cheap(often free if you are resourceful), small, 12v, and very quiet.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:25 am

Just do not close that trailer up and sleep in there until you have vents. You might not wake up.

How much clearance do you have to work with up top? I have an exhaust vent in my CTC bathroom which is designed for vans. It probably has only a 1.5 inch height profile (I will measure to confirm height if you are interested. Let me know). It pushes up from inside and provides about 200CFM or just convection when power not on. It is a pure DC motor so you can get a cheap PWM to change speeds and reverse directions.

Ventline VP-543 12V Smoke Van Roof Air Vent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00407CK5W/re ... iBbHQC48Q1

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 am

back4more, Howdy;

back4more wrote:
hankaye wrote:back4more, Howdy;

hank

Thanks hank. I ordered a Weeroll Nomad and they do not come with the vents you mentioned. I did think about ordering a couple from Amazon though. I like you idea about the computer fans !

Well, I blew that one ... was a long day yesterday, I completely missed
the bit about the 2 sliding windows (dhooo head-slap), just
get one of these; https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=c ... t_id=91083
May be a bit noisy compared to a computer fan but they work fine, I use one of the 12 $
ones when I don't want to run up the electric bill and don't want to fire up the A/C here
in the RV.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby beachguy005 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:44 am

I had the same clearance issue and used a non-powered 10" square roof vent that only sticks up about 1.25" above the roof when closed. I'm going to rig a fan to the underside but that and a low, rear side mount vent has worked great.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:25 am

• I use a 5k BTU-window A/C unit, and a larger main fan (a Honeywell-3 speed, 11 inch table fan), mounted to the underside of my stereo shelf, when I need more airflow, in conjunction with or without a combination of windows open, vents opened up wider (I always keep one slightly open, for venting CO2 build up), or such. I also have computer case fans over my side vents, for air circulation whenever​ I'm inside, run on 12vdc. They consume a minimal amount of power, and I can use my 400 watt inverter to run the normally 120vac bigger fan on 12vdc if I have to, since it consumes very little power also, and gives great airflow (I've never had to turn it to the two higher speeds).
  • I chose to use sidewall-mounted vents, so I wouldn't have to worry about rain entry from a big hole in the roof (I already have a dozen or so bolts thru the roof, sealed with much poly adhesive and multiple coats of poly/acrylic paints). I found some rain-proof vents on E-trailer.com https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/Polar-Hardware/9139.html that would do the multiple uses I had in mind, so I bought four (cabin venting -2 vents-, A/C chassis cooling in the galley -1 vent-, and A/C exhaust venting -1 vent-). I had seen them on trailers while running a shipping/receiving dock, and thought that they would add to the "unconventionality" of my one-off type of trailer.
  • vent 9139 used for three purposes (1).JPG
    vent 9139 used for three purposes (1).JPG (244.86 KiB) Viewed 3492 times
  • honeywell 11 inch fan.JPG
    honeywell 11 inch fan.JPG (118.29 KiB) Viewed 3492 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:25 pm

Wanabxtrm mounted his Fantastic fan on the side of his trailer. Says it's great!

His Response to how he liked it.

Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Padilen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:15 pm

I gave up and ordered a roof fan/ vent. I have no clearance now so I'm thinking of just rolling it in in the hubs
As is I deflate the tires to get it in or out. Would that give you clearance with a roof fan?Image

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby onehoser » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:42 am

my roof vent won't clear the garage door either so i installed a pair of spare 5.30x12" wheels i have to get it down low enough. i also use one of the 5.30x12" as a spare tire, it takes up much less room in the trailer and will at least get me home or to a repair shop much like the 'donut' spares new cars come with
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:16 pm

onehoser wrote:my roof vent won't clear the garage door either so i installed a pair of spare 5.30x12" wheels i have to get it down low enough. i also use one of the 5.30x12" as a spare tire, it takes up much less room in the trailer and will at least get me home or to a repair shop much like the 'donut' spares new cars come with
  • I forgot to add, in my earlier post, that I measured the overhead clearance (at the angle of coincidence when backing in) of my trailer, when it was still in a shop 50+ miles away, to see if I had enough room. There was just six inches clearance, as measured wit a 2x4 cut to the same height of my trailer, as partially completed but with ride height known, sitting on fully inflated tires. I set the 2x4 on the crest of the concrete apron leading onto the garage pad, and rocked it thru an arc, and measured the nearest point of contact. After the "interference fit" of trailer-into-garage was established, I researched until I found a vent that I liked, but the $300 price tag was too high, for my low/no budget build (at that time...secretly building it way past my wife's allotted pittance for the project).
  • A friend, and fellow race-team member, gave me an alternative idea for a roof vent that would fit, and looked right, for my Post-Industrial theme of the trailer. He had an old Flettner ventlilator that he had gotten on one of his European business trips, and had given previously to his brother, It was partially returned to him, later, only the top half remaining, It was grey, of metal, and matched my trailer pretty well. The Flettner needs outside wind to make it function (it's used for vans for interior airflow, when travelling), so I would've had to reverse the flow, using a large fan inside the cabin, pointing into the underside of the Flettner, to make it work when parked (that's why I bought the 11" fan, initially). But, when I tried to source the missing parts for the older model I had, from the UK, I had no luck, so I didn't go that route, either, and chose my 9139 vents, instead, making the roof-to-garage door clearance issue moot.
  • Maxair rooftop vent.JPG
    Maxair rooftop vent.JPG (69.82 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
    my original, first choice
  • Flettner ventilator from UK.JPG
    Flettner ventilator from UK.JPG (128.49 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
    my second choice, passed over due to complications
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Hiflyer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:20 am

Get a couple 200mm computer fans. They draw less than 1/4 of an amp.

I mounted two on 1/4” locline arms for maximum flexibility.

One of the best things in my trailer by far
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby onehoser » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:39 am

Padilen wrote:I gave up and ordered a roof fan/ vent. I have no clearance now so I'm thinking of just rolling it in in the hubs
As is I deflate the tires to get it in or out. Would that give you clearance with a roof fan?Image

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

these wheels make it possible to clear my garage door
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (46.69 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions