adding an awning to a cargo conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

adding an awning to a cargo conversion

Postby yycwrangler » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi Guys

Have been told I need an awning rail for my cargo. where does that connect. Above or below my drip rail..Then does the awning unit slide in to that drip rail and is that what holds the unit in place. Have a 12ft side, should I get a 12ft or smaller that the full side.

Has anyone installed one yet. What did you buy and are you happy with it..Looking at Carefree, none electric and eventually adding an add-a-room

Cheers
Al
Attachments
trailer copy1.jpg
trailer copy1.jpg (639.53 KiB) Viewed 5351 times
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Re: adding an awning to a cargo conversion

Postby McDave » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:40 pm

I'd have to say mounting strip under drip rail. I have a different type awning so the roller is above the rail. My awning was a 10 ft.= 120 in exactly. That was about all I could fit on a 6x12 with the rounded corners.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:15 pm

yycwrangler, Howdy;

WoW that's alotta photo to wander around in! Great scenery.

My question to your query is how is that section of your trailer built. In other
words where is the top rail that secures the ribs (verticals), to the roof?
That's where the strength would be (imo), and I'd also look for the joints
between the ribs and the horizontal frame for the weight bearing attachments.
Only a suggestion as to how I'd go about it. Or, do like some others have and
build an attaching system that works for you .

By the way, ... what are those "D" rings along the wall/roof interface used for?

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby domoarigato » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:21 am

You may want to look at some other installs on here to determine if you have enough wall space above your door. I have 7' ceilings and just barely have enough room above my door to clear my awning bag. Also my awning has to be set at near its highest position when open so that the door does not interfere. Just some thoughts to chew on. I have a friend who has an ARB awning in a similar clearance situation as yours, I believe. There may be some alternate though options and maybe somebody else will chime in.

In regards to the rail, my trailer has a 3" or so channel all the way around the top that the verticle struts are welded into. I used cut screws to mount the awning rail, and it was positioned so that the cut screws went through that backing channel..

-Domo
yycwrangler wrote:Hi Guys

Have been told I need an awning rail for my cargo. where does that connect. Above or below my drip rail..Then does the awning unit slide in to that drip rail and is that what holds the unit in place. Have a 12ft side, should I get a 12ft or smaller that the full side.

Has anyone installed one yet. What did you buy and are you happy with it..Looking at Carefree, none electric and eventually adding an add-a-room

Cheers
Al

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby margerausch » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:33 pm

Buy Keder rail with or without a gutter, then attach your awing there. Check it out on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
margerausch
Teardrop Inspector

Postby yycwrangler » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:20 pm

hi guys

many thanks for your feedback. That height above my door has worries me..I've been using a easy up gazebo and as such have been able to open the door without any problems but that didn't have a slope on the roof section..

That Keder rail mount look like a great idea, I'll certainly have a good look at it

Domo you mention other installs..Is there a section within the TNTTT that would show me other options on cargo trailers.

Hank I have a family substantial aluminum framed trailer. My plan was to actually run some large bolts through to the inside and use several pieces of iron that I could put on the inside, after the ribs allowing several ribs to take the weight for each bolt used to secure the rail.

McDave...I think at 10ft is going to be the best plan. What model did you get and does it clear the door without an problems

Again guys thanks for your help and info

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Hey Al,
I purchased this awning.
https://www.vidaxl.com/e/8718475923367/ ... g-10-cream
I took a chance because the price was incredible (I paid 149.99 shipped on 4/17) and I knew I have several decks at the house where I could use it if things didn't work out. I knew I would have to fabricate the mounts because of the rounded roof corners on my trailer, and it was a piece of cake. I really like the awning and it has worked perfect for a couple seasons now. I also fabbed a cover from vinyl gutter to keep the fabric out of the UV and weather and bird poop when not in use. It probably helps with the 80 mph wind when traveling as well. It works with a gearbox and a crank instead of preloaded springs. Here are some pics. and a link to the installation manual.
https://secure.img1.wfrcdn.com/docresou ... 274736.pdf
Sturgis 2017
Just installed, first test
Vinyl gutter cover installed
Order receipt

McDave

PS. The telescoping support legs are available for 35.00 a pair . Says they can be used vertically or mounted to the wall and they extend from 4ft to 7.5ft.. I haven't needed any support legs so far, but I close it up when I leave camp.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Hader » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:20 am

yycwrangler wrote:Domo you mention other installs..Is there a section within the TNTTT that would show me other options on cargo trailers.

This is how we built our awning: http://httpswww.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php ... t#p1232777

The legs can be attached to trailer or cut shorter and and anchored to the ground. Your D rings can be your solution.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby yycwrangler » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:55 pm

McDave..I like the look of that awning. I also like that you can mount it higher up using brackets..And the price :D great find..I'm finding carefree and others to be in the 1200US to 1500Cdn prices so yours looks like a gem. I would want to add some vertical legs and you say that is an option. I would want to put a mosquito room around the awning so vertical legs would define the corners. Although now that I think of it, every time I take in the awning, I would have to take down the mosquito netting..Probably not such a big deal.

What does your awning unit weigh McDave

Domo...that is a great unit you've built. For me I want ease of setting up and with the trailer being fairly tall would be a fair bit of work for a short guy like me to get up and down often.

Flyboy if your monitoring this message, I understand you used a Aleko rv awning..I've been looking at that also..1/2 the price of the carefree unit. Just wondering what your thoughts are

Thanks again for the feedback guys

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:56 pm

yycwrangler wrote:Flyboy if your monitoring this message, I understand you used a Aleko rv awning..I've been looking at that also..1/2 the price of the carefree unit. Just wondering what your thoughts are

Thanks again for the feedback guys

Cheers
Al

Al, I'd recommend the Aleko RV awning and would purchase again. Very sturdy and will stand up to decent Fl. thunderstorms with a $20.00 anchor kit. First hand experience with that.

Aleko fit an finish is very nice. Tarp is same thickness and type as Dometic and others.

Only bad thing I could say is assembly/install instructions were very poor. Had to figure it out myself on parts of it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby yycwrangler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:50 pm

flboy

what model did you purchase for your trailer..Was it the rv model or house..Can it be connected to the trailer on brackets if it sits to low for the door.

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:26 pm

yycwrangler wrote:flboy

what model did you purchase for your trailer..Was it the rv model or house..Can it be connected to the trailer on brackets if it sits to low for the door.

Cheers
Al

It is for an RV. No, you cannot mount on brackets. It has a awning rail the awning materiel connects to which mounts to the side of the trailer. You can install short of the door so the door does not open under the awning. I have mentioned that before. Not a huge deal and many folks do it. That is one way to solve it. Otherwise, you will need to install the house type on riser brackets, but they are more for shade which is important... but cannot have out in any kind of wind or rain without additional supports, etc.. Each has the pros and cons in the case of the door getting in the way. Good luck.

Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby yycwrangler » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:06 pm

Thanks Flboy

Yes looks like the RV awning is the way to go..My concern , if you look at my trailer, is that I may not have enough distance between the top of the door and the bottom of awning..I'm in PEI currently and won't be back till the 25th when I can measure. I think I need at least 6-8" clearance

Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:40 pm

yycwrangler wrote:Thanks Flboy

Yes looks like the RV awning is the way to go..My concern , if you look at my trailer, is that I may not have enough distance between the top of the door and the bottom of awning..I'm in PEI currently and won't be back till the 25th when I can measure. I think I need at least 6-8" clearance

Will the the awning be big enough if you install a width from the back just up to the door where the door is not covered? I did a bag awning like that and it worked great. If you have 6" clearance it may work if you put the awning rail at the highest possible point. Here is an example for running the awning short and not over the door. I had no room over the door with my first CTC.

Last edited by flboy on Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby phoenixbound » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:23 am

I just finished putting an Aleko Patio Awning on my CTC. I have a 6 x 12 trailer and I bought a 8 x 10 awning. I was able to mount it in the space above the door. Although it works I did have a couple of issues. With it deployed the door hits the awning bracket and it was pointed out to me by McDave that the far end could pose issues with whacking your head when you walk around in the campground even for a short guy like me. So, I went to Cabella's and bought some adjustable tent poles to prop up the far end. That works and it really doesn't add much to the setup time. I can raise it to clear the door, but honestly I don't need it that high all the time. I will probably end up opening the door, latching it open, deploy the awning and then raising the far end enough to prevent head-whacking. The first picture is the awning deployed without the tent poles on the far end and the second one is with tent poles propping the far end enough to allow the door under it. Good luck.
awning4.jpg
awning4.jpg (119.8 KiB) Viewed 4847 times

awning6.jpg
awning6.jpg (115.08 KiB) Viewed 4847 times
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions