Using a tote instead of permanent tank for grey water?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Using a tote instead of permanent tank for grey water?

Postby cg_ops » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:27 am

Has anyone opted to just route a drain from their sink/shower to an easy-to-access location on underside of their trailer? It seems like a good compromise between ease of installation, clean-up, and repairability. I'm looking at something like this https://www.amazon.com/Tote-N-Stor-2560 ... B0085KGOIE

This is for a shower install I'm going to do on a LOOK 8.5x24x7 enclosed trailer

Thank you!
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Re: Using a tote instead of permanent tank for grey water?

Postby coyote » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:44 am

I use a 10 gal one similar. For a shorter time, does not take much room. Works well. Coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby EZDog » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:45 pm

Same here,I have 2 a small and large with wheels.
Obviously you just have to watch how much shower you take as that is about how much you will need to take somewhere else too. :)

I a committed to no indoor plumbing if possible.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby domoarigato » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:54 pm

This is what I am doing with my CTC, ie non permanent water (clean, grey, black).

99.9% of the camping that we will do is going to be at state park or private campgrounds and will at least have water/electric hookups.

Our camper is a semi-dry camper in that we will need a water hook-up in order to power our shower and sink. A collapsable water bag in the back of my truck and 12v pump can be used if there is only a central water supply available at the camp location.

The bath and sink drains will be tied together and will lead to a threaded pvc connection under the camper that can be capped off when not in use, or a P-less trap and drain hose when in use.

-If the campgrounds aren't patrolled by the Stasi, I'll discretely let it drain into the woods.
-If they are tightly regulated, I'll bring one of those blue roll around grey water tanks and dump as needed.
-If the site has sewage hookup, I'll let it drain directly in there. The P-less trap will block the noxious fumes coming from the pipe.

This may not be ideal for every situation, but we think that it should work for us. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FlyBye » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:55 pm

Those "Blue Totes" are known by several different names, but the intent/purpose is the same. I've known them as "honey wagons"** growing up. They were/are often used for not only gray water but also your black water temporary tank. There are lots of sizes and prices available.

We haven't run our gray water plumbing yet, but plan on using one of the "totes" at campgrounds with water but lack full hookups. They are ideal for cargo trailers enthusiasts who are looking to minimize weight and space to their trailers. We already have our "tote" even though we haven't run the plumbing yet.

** As a side note, I remember asking my father as a young lad why they called 'em "honey wagons". He told me to just think about it... it sure sounds better than calling it a "_____ wagon"! He didn't need to fill in the blank...
Last edited by FlyBye on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FlyBye's 7x16 Cargo Camper Build
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69287
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:02 pm

Flybye, Howdy;

[quote="FlyBye"
** As a side note, I remember asking my father as a young lad why they called 'em "honey wagons". He told me to just think about it... it sure sounds better than calling it a "_____ wagon"! He didn't need to fill in the blank...[/quote]

:thinking: I always thought it because you could attract more flies with "Honey" ... ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby flboy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:31 pm

I had a 14 gallon one as a decoy. It was in my old CTC for just the sink. No shower or etc.. When camping, I would open it up an place it under the CTC by the drain. It would hide the fact that sink water was dropping out, and if by chance, someone noticed and complained, I'd just say " gosh, somebody must have bumped it, let me move it back under the pipe". :shock: :shock:

Never used it, but it was always there when camping unless I was somewhere really remote.

In any case, I think one would work well for the Gray Water. Really don't like to think about the black water. You'd have to have it directly under the toilet so it would be a straight shot in.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby rkanz » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:54 pm

I camp in places with bears, so the sink drain water gets put down a drain or toilet, far away from the trailer. I use a recycled cat litter container.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:49 am

I have a diverter valve installed on the shower drain that allows me to drain the shower/sink to a place other than the black tank or into the black tank. I used that valve this weekend as I was camped at a private ranch and knew it would be several days before I would be at a dump station. I was able to fill the fresh tank any time and did twice. Used approx. 60gal fresh Thurs- Tuesday 2 people showers/ toilet. The 29 gal black tank was probably half full and we used plenty of water to flush. I did notice the black tank emptied with more force than usual when I travel alone, even when I drain the shower to the black tank.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby cg_ops » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:12 am

flboy wrote:I had a 14 gallon one as a decoy. It was in my old CTC for just the sink. No shower or etc.. When camping, I would open it up an place it under the CTC by the drain. It would hide the fact that sink water was dropping out, and if by chance, someone noticed and complained, I'd just say " gosh, somebody must have bumped it, let me move it back under the pipe". :shock: :shock:

Never used it, but it was always there when camping unless I was somewhere really remote.

In any case, I think one would work well for the Gray Water. Really don't like to think about the black water. You'd have to have it directly under the toilet so it would be a straight shot in.

I looked at your build video and your thread about your setup... of ANYONE's build on here, yours most closely aligns with what I'm doing, right down to the bikes. I race in AFM and am a track day control rider (yes, even as a 1-armed rider). I have a Husky 701, WR250, and an R6... I usually take 2-4 bikes with me to the track on any given trip. I'd love your feedback on my goals. I'm in the same boat you were... toy haulers are stupidly expensive for what you get and the quality is meh, at best. I just ordered a LOOK 8.5*24*7, Vision model cargo trailer. Originally I was going to go with 8.5*20 but I wanted more living space and bike storage, especially since anything I build will probably take up more space than you smart folks/tradesmen!

Options and/or Customizations I'm ordering from the manufacturer include:

30" V-Nose in front
No dove tail (for easier maneuverability/reduced drieway scraping)
Bogie wheels (further reduction of scraping)
Upgraded to 5200lb torsion suspension with 10 degree turn (lifting trailer up a bit)
Rear folding stability jacks
120v 50a automatic switch-over wiring kit/box
Roof mounted 13.5k BTU AC
15" x 32" windows on both sides
Generator box on drivers side exterior
L-Shape cabinet & overhead with mill finish (gen box will be in the L-portion of cabinet)
20' 8500 series awning on curb side
Insulated walls/roof (required for 120v wiring option)
2x internal 120 outlets (1x 2-plug in back, 1x 2-plug in front in bullnose above counter)
1x external 120v gfci outlet on curb side
4x 4ft cove shop lights inside (fluorescent... they wantted $80 EACH to upgrade to LED... wtf??)
12" extended tongue
Turismo 6 lug wheels with ST225 /75R15 Radial tires http://www.looktrailers.com/option_imag ... 0Black.jpg
.030 2-tone exterior white front, pewter rear

Main additions I'll be doing, with the help of tnttt...
Shower/Toilet
Plumbing
Beds - happijac
Kitchenette
Exterior lighting
Rear camera

Where did you get your happijac bed lift? I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere. How was the installation? How's it holding up?

Thank you!
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:44 pm

cg_ops, It appears you have a nice trailer to start with and a lot of nice mods to do. That is a large trailer so you have a lot of options for floor plans. Are you going to start a build thread? Will be fun to follow .

My bed is not a Happijack. I built it. If you go back to about the Dec 2016 timeframe right around the Christmas timeframe, my build thread has the details. I never ended up rigging cable to lift it up and down since it is high enough with a 7.5" ceiling to be static in place and I can get the bikes in and out and use it for living area. I can move it up and down with another person easy enough if I want to move it. Just no real need to. If I decide later to make it moveable, I may modify the tracks some because as is with the gas struts, I have to move relatively evenly or it binds in the tracks. If I only had two tracks and a landing, then it would work well to do by myself.. Someday maybe.

In any case... good luck with your build. If you have any specific questions, the guys on this forum are great and will help. Maybe more than you want. ;-)

I'd really like to know how you ride a dirtbike with one arm. That is impressive just to ponder. I have a hard enough time with both arms and hands. How do you like the Husky 701? I was looking for that or the KTM-690 and I just found a good deal on the KTM first. Very similar in any case. I have a KTM-450EXC I also ride... a much better woods bike, but I got the KTM-690 to do the TAT with next June. Will camp off it and etc.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thinking about your CTC.. Holding tanks are not that hard to install and if you are already installing the blackwater... not much more effort to put in the gray water at the same time. If you get tanks 15" wide (fits between floor joists 16" on center) and 6" deep and the full width of your trailer, they will be about 25-30 gallons each. I was lucky and got mine out of an old truck camper... but there are places on E-bay and if you can't find the 15" width (rare) there are places that will custom make them. Here is one exampke: https://www.all-rite.com/custom-holding-and-water-tanks. . You can always build a diverter in so when you are remote, you can run the harmless shower water on the ground and water the plants.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby PrecisionLook612 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:39 pm

You will be very happy with the Vision line from Look. It's a high quality well built trailer. My Dad has a 40' Vision Goose Neck and it's a fantastic trailer. I really like the quality of my Element and it's a lower level than my the Vision.
PrecisionLook612
Teardrop Builder

Postby cg_ops » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:28 am

Thank you for the replies, guys! Some good ideas so far!

flboy wrote:cg_ops, It appears you have a nice trailer to start with and a lot of nice mods to do. That is a large trailer so you have a lot of options for floor plans. Are you going to start a build thread? Will be fun to follow .

My bed is not a Happijack. I built it. If you go back to about the Dec 2016 timeframe right around the Christmas timeframe, my build thread has the details. I never ended up rigging cable to lift it up and down since it is high enough with a 7.5" ceiling to be static in place and I can get the bikes in and out and use it for living area. I can move it up and down with another person easy enough if I want to move it. Just no real need to. If I decide later to make it moveable, I may modify the tracks some because as is with the gas struts, I have to move relatively evenly or it binds in the tracks. If I only had two tracks and a landing, then it would work well to do by myself.. Someday maybe.

In any case... good luck with your build. If you have any specific questions, the guys on this forum are great and will help. Maybe more than you want. ;-)

I'd really like to know how you ride a dirtbike with one arm. That is impressive just to ponder. I have a hard enough time with both arms and hands. How do you like the Husky 701? I was looking for that or the KTM-690 and I just found a good deal on the KTM first. Very similar in any case. I have a KTM-450EXC I also ride... a much better woods bike, but I got the KTM-690 to do the TAT with next June. Will camp off it and etc.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thinking about your CTC.. Holding tanks are not that hard to install and if you are already installing the blackwater... not much more effort to put in the gray water at the same time. If you get tanks 15" wide (fits between floor joists 16" on center) and 6" deep and the full width of your trailer, they will be about 25-30 gallons each. I was lucky and got mine out of an old truck camper... but there are places on E-bay and if you can't find the 15" width (rare) there are places that will custom make them. Here is one exampke: https://www.all-rite.com/custom-holding-and-water-tanks. . You can always build a diverter in so when you are remote, you can run the harmless shower water on the ground and water the plants.

I'm going to try to do a build thread - but, historically, i'm terrible about pacing my progress with updates, haha.

Apologies, I must've missed the bed build pages of your (impressively long) build thread. It's proving to be frustratingly hard to find an elegant solution to building the bed lift. It's even on the LOOK options page but they said they don't offer it... but since several manufacturers have a nearly identical options page on their website, i'm guessing they all share a website foundation and don't change options to the individual mfgr brands.

As for the 1-armed riding, here's some info
How I lost it: https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/co ... e/d2vijbr/
What I look like on the bike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaPyar1p3lA
Playing with a friend at Sonoma Raceway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=112lv7EGn_Q
Controls on my R6: https://imgur.com/a/gA5mA4C
Video of controls on my WR250: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aB-ymUE3TQ

I love my Husky.... when it runs. It has a Rekluse auto-clutch in it so anyone else riding it wouldn't even know it's modified unless they tried to stall it. It is by FAR my least reliable bike I've ever owned... new top end b/c of blown head gasket, 2 new headlights due to cracking, snapped rear brake spring, gauges leak, blinker relay replaced, etc etc... That said, it's also the most FUN bike i've ever owned (3 R6's, SV650S, WR250, WR450, Gixxer 750, and 701). With the slip on, intake and PCV I bumped it up 12hp and 10lbs of torque across the mid range... I can power the front end up at 50mph in 3rd w/o clutch! The ABS is good... I do kinda wish it had traction control for riding in the rain though.

PrecisionLook612 wrote:You will be very happy with the Vision line from Look. It's a high quality well built trailer. My Dad has a 40' Vision Goose Neck and it's a fantastic trailer. I really like the quality of my Element and it's a lower level than my the Vision.

That's good to hear. I was originally looking at a Mirage and a Cargo Mate but there were enough mixed reviews about them that I decided to spend a little more. There's a LOOK dealer near me and I read that since the acquisition, they're basically Pace American trailers. I don't trust my skills enough to puncture the roof and not have leaks so I decided to go with a custom order so I could get the AC installed by them and covered under warranty... then it kinda spiraled from there and I ended up going way over budget, roughly $16.5k with the upgrades I listed :frightened:
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:37 pm

cg_ops... wow. What a story on your wreck, hospital recovery and etc.. So glad you are able to enjoy life again. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions