Which type of studs are best?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Which type of studs are best?

Postby Margali » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:02 am

I'm trying to compare trailer brands and figure out what to buy. I'm looking at a 7x7x24 tandem with vnose. Two brands I'm considering are Trailershowroom from Waco,TX plant or Diamond Cargo from Georgia.

The Trailershowroom trailer is about $600 more expensive and no drive to pickup. It has zpost walls and tophat roof studs. Axle manufacturer unknown. The Diamond Cargo trailer is $600 cheaper but I would use that up on drive to get it. It has 1"x1.5" wall and roof studs. It has Lippert axles.

Are the tubular studs worth driving 1,800 miles round trip? Or do both of these brands suck and I should keep looking?
Margali, DH, and 3 minions

2017 Ram 1500 Lonestar, 7'x 16'x 7'h v-nose
Margali
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Which type of studs are best?

Postby hankaye » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:53 am

Margali, Howdy;

Hope you enjoy the build and keep us up dated on your progress.

I know you asked about the studs and roof hoops but the axel bit caught my eye
like a shiny bauble, or a cute woman walkin' by.
Highlighted the name Trailershowroon then went into the site to find in the
Add-ons section they mention the "UPGRADE" to Dexter axles, so as there are only
a few trailer axle manufacturers the standard are :thinking: most likely Lippert.
but that's just my opinion. Both are good I just think (again just my opinion),
Dexter makes a better axle worth the upgrade fee.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Margali » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:50 am

Thanks for info about axle brands.

Forgot to mention we are putting in triple bunk and maybe Murphy bed. That's why I want best/strongest walls possible.
Margali, DH, and 3 minions

2017 Ram 1500 Lonestar, 7'x 16'x 7'h v-nose
Margali
Teardrop Advisor

Postby domoarigato » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:16 am

My 2c... Tubing studs and trusses is stronger than formed sheet metal. That is one of the reasons that I went with Homesteader (regionally available too) vs some of the manufacturers that use the formed studs and trusses.

That said, it all has to be considered.. stud type, axle type, seamless vs seamed roof, tongue length (after thought for me), floor type/thickness, etc..

-Domo

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Postby NO David! » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:36 am

I chose 1" square tubing walls (16" centers) and roof (24" centers). Definitely upgrade or buy a trailer with Dexter axles, or Al-Ko. Mine have Al-Ko and they have been very good over 6 years of ownership. I picked standard leaf spring setup vs. 4" drop axles to gain ground clearance on mine. We also have twin bunks hung on vertical E-track mounted to the wall.
You can see roof studs here, (it does have 16" wall studs hidden from view in the pics), and you can see our simple bunks in the thread:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48345

outsidezion did some neat triple bunks:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48345

I second the recommendation of Homesteader if you don't mind a trip to Tennessee. I'd also buy another Cargo Craft if I were doing it again, but I'd want to open a dialogue with the factory to check off my custom options to ensure accuracy.

Welcome to the club!

Edit: reread your post, check out these two dealers, see what they can do on a Cargo Craft built in the Texas plant.
https://www.trophytrailerstx.com/
https://www.randjtrailers.com/

fwiw, the Texas Cargo Craft plant even builds these off-road themed trailers:
https://www.facebook.com/120847984634385/photos/pcb.1824495077602992/1824494720936361/?type=3&theater

Decide where you want your windows, (I copied gonefishin, two high up and opposite ends of trailer for great crossflow ventilation), add an RV door with screen, stab jacks at 4 corners, single step, 6" additional roof height, buy a trailer 2' longer than you think you need. It is not expensive to have the factory do these options, and I get to smile every time somebody wants me to demo the ventilation in the trailer.

Multiple edits, (need more coffee). I ordered a Cargo Craft Expedition model for the heavy duty options, but then used the axle/suspension from their Explorer model to get the ground clearance. Kinda threw them off a bit, but it worked out fine. They even allowed me to pick the exterior color (from their chart) to match my tow vehicle at no extra charge.

As far as brands go, I think Trailershowroom is an online broker/dealer for multiple brands, however several folks here have purchased through them with good results.
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions