Sunken shower pan and grate, no curb?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Sunken shower pan and grate, no curb?

Postby EZDog » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:39 pm

Actually the floor in the bathroom was all tile and there was no real separation at all across the entire floor .
The curtain was the only thing designed to prevent the water outside the shower and it seemed to do literally nothing at all right above the floor level.

I'm not even sure that the floor was beveled to run water to the drain but there was a drain in the shower area,it was designed to be able to roll a wheel chair right into the shower from the rest of the bathroom area.

Years ago I was considering building a shower in a Trillium FGRV and I was planning to use this

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/johnson ... gIfJvD_BwE

Seemed like a decent way to provide positive powered drainage to try to keep ahead of a gravity only drain at the time.
I think if you use a porous floor surface in the shower like Teak decking over the drain but even with the rest of the trailer floor you might get this to work as long as the splashed water hits the floor and immediately falls through and into the drain?
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby Rainier70 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:40 pm

I have done two modified versions of this idea. Both have a low lip around the shower area. The first was in my 6x12 and the shower shared the area in front of the door. The lip was about a 1/2 inch high. A floor mat was where you stepped in or through the area. It had two drains one in the front and one in the back. The all around shower curtain had elastic cord in the top and it stretched to 4 cup hooks mounted on the ceiling.

In my 7x16 trailer the shower has a dedicated "bathroom" area. Again it has a low rim (about 3/4 inch) and stretch cord in the shower curtain. When we are done it will have curtain covering only two walls and two walls of frp. It has three drains in the floor - two in the front corners and one in the back inside corner as there is an angled rim across the back due to the front of my ct being curved. No matter which way the ct is off bubble the water drains out. What little that is left I chase out with a squeegee if I am ambitious.

You can see some pictures of the first one on page 15 of my build. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=55219&start=210

I haven't done many pictures of my 7x16 build yet.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebar » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Rainier70 wrote:I have done two modified versions of this idea. Both have a low lip around the shower area. The first was in my 6x12 and the shower shared the area in front of the door. The lip was about a 1/2 inch high. A floor mat was where you stepped in or through the area. It had two drains one in the front and one in the back. The all around shower curtain had elastic cord in the top and it stretched to 4 cup hooks mounted on the ceiling.

In my 7x16 trailer the shower has a dedicated "bathroom" area. Again it has a low rim (about 3/4 inch) and stretch cord in the shower curtain. When we are done it will have curtain covering only two walls and two walls of frp. It has three drains in the floor - two in the front corners and one in the back inside corner as there is an angled rim across the back due to the front of my ct being curved. No matter which way the ct is off bubble the water drains out. What little that is left I chase out with a squeegee if I am ambitious.

You can see some pictures of the first one on page 15 of my build. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=55219&start=210

I haven't done many pictures of my 7x16 build yet.

Thanks Cindy, I like that.

Did you make the second shower lip taller to keep more water inside?

Cant wait to start my build..
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby Rainier70 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:33 pm

Sorry on the late reply. I've been out camping again.
No, I didn't make the lip taller to hold more water. I made it taller as that was the height of the foam flooring and throw rug that I will be putting in shortly, and because I had the wood for it already ripped. Either way I may remove and recut the doorway lip to make it closer to the finished floor height later.

The drains work so well, that there really isn't any water for the rims to hold. I could probably do a 3/8 or 1/4 inch lip and not have a problem. As long as I don't forget to open the drain plug! :shock:

Just as a note. I use a spray tank for my shower and only use about a half gallon at at time. So not a high volume to start with. I think it would still work with a higher volume of water though.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions