Insulation Questions

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Insulation Questions

Postby JustGo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:03 pm

I'm ordering a 7X12 with 3' V nose aluminum cargo trailer to convert into a camper. I will be using it mostly in moderate to sub freezing weather.

I have never built one before and would like to hear experienced ideas on types of insulation that are out there, and recommended R values for sub freezing temps.

Also the best way to install the insulation in the floor.

Thanks
"Life's journey is NOT to arrive at your grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in a$$ backwards, totally worn out, shouting "holy $H!T, what a ride!"
JustGo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Insulation Questions

Postby GTS225 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:56 pm

First, a couple questions that may be pertinent to a good answer.
What type of roof will this trailer have? (Translucent fiberglass, aluminum skin, with vent or fan?)
How tall is it? (Suitable for framing a false interior floor with insulation foam?)

You could frame the walls with furring strips, glue in foam then skin them back over for some heat retention, and not lose very much space. If the overhead is a little tight, one would have to really think about that a bit. I suppose one could insulate under the frame, depending on construction, but it would have to be sealed up quite well.

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby CoventryKid » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:43 pm

Welcome:

My wife and I full time in our NEO. Rain and snow in the winter, hot and sunny in the summer. We've been doing this for the past 2 1/2 years.

I used 1" rigid insulation between the ribs, added 5/8" furring strips to each rib, then added 1/2" rigid insulation between the furring strips. Taped all seams with metal foil. I reattached the plywood walls, screwing them to the furring strips. This created a thermal break.

Check out my build below.

Hope this helps.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:26 am

A while back there was a discussion on building a cold weather trailer.
If I build again, this is how I would do it:
Link to discussion and my thoughts on a cold weather ctc
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby JustGo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:30 pm

I'll try to respond to all replies with one post.

First of all the trailer has not been built yet so I can still make changes if necessary. And I want to get as much as I can done by the factory then finish the rest myself.

All wall, floor, and ceiling joists will be 16" OC. The roof will be one peice aluminum with a fan vent. Ceiling is 6'6". Ribs can be stripped out for thicher insulation and I'm OK with insulating the floor inside and loose a couple inches of ceiling height.

So my question is your thoughts on types of insulation, recommended R values, and best way to install it?

Thanks
"Life's journey is NOT to arrive at your grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in a$$ backwards, totally worn out, shouting "holy $H!T, what a ride!"
JustGo
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions