ARB awning vs 10x10 canopy or other cover

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

ARB awning vs 10x10 canopy or other cover

Postby back4more » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:09 pm

I'm debating buying an ARB awning and room to use as an extra room for our little 6x8 weeroll nomad (on order). The awning and room look nice but keep coming back to is it worth the $500? I could buy a 10x10 canopy plus plenty gear with that same $500, and wouldn't have to drill any holes in the trailer.

Anyone have comments, input, suggestions?

Thanks!
back4more
Teardrop Inspector

Re: ARB awning vs 10x10 canopy or other cover

Postby crttaz » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:18 pm

Where do you plan on putting the 200-300 lbs of weights needed for the 10x10 canopy?

I've seen too many 10x10's mangled. Even ones with four tires/wheels (race car rain setup) will get blown around.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby back4more » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:27 pm

crttaz wrote:Where do you plan on putting the 200-300 lbs of weights needed for the 10x10 canopy?

I've seen too many 10x10's mangled. Even ones with four tires/wheels (race car rain setup) will get blown around.

Thanks for pointing out the need for weights on the canopy. Wouldn't the same winds mangle an ARB awning (with or without room)?

BTW, I'm in Florida and it gets pretty windy here sometimes. Summer thunderstorms are a mess when camping.
back4more
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:25 am

Love our ARB Awning. I don’t have the room but a buddy has the full tent room and they use it all the time.

Been in some strong winds and the awning performed great. You do need to stake it down.

I can set it up and take it down by myself but it is easier with two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:36 pm

500 bucks is a pretty good price for an awning and room. The EZ UP canopies are pretty strong when staked and I know you can get the walls for them. Something like this might be nice and affordable. Hexagon shaped 6.5 x 6.5ft walls for under a hundred bucks?
Hard to beat that...

Here's the link. They have all kinds of stuff...
https://www.vidaxl.com/e/8718475973201/ ... blue-66x66

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:00 pm

back4more wrote:
crttaz wrote:Where do you plan on putting the 200-300 lbs of weights needed for the 10x10 canopy?

Thanks for pointing out the need for weights on the canopy. Wouldn't the same winds mangle an ARB awning (with or without room)?

BTW, I'm in Florida and it gets pretty windy here sometimes. Summer thunderstorms are a mess when camping.
  • For years, I wanted to switch from using canopies to using an attached bag-style awning, or two, but found them to be too-expensive for the limited usage they'd see. And, I tried to design a tarp-based substitute, that I could make myself, to perform the same functions, but also found my designs to be too expensive and complicated for my liking, so I remain in the canopy-usage "camp", probably forever. Though I desired the quick deployment of awnings, in lieu of the longer set-up/take-down of canopies (even Ezy-Ups aren't that easy for one person with a bad wing).
  • I use one or two 10x10 canopies (actually only 8x8 coverage), primarily because they are low-cost. Both were bought at Academy Sports: Ezy-Up $49.95 in 2013,and a Z-Shade Everest I $79.95 in 2018 (stated to be more UV, fire, and water-resistant than the other, for use over my cooking area), and I bought two accessories when I purchased them, too. An attached side-tent for $20 in 2013 (the $40 Ozark Trail ConnecTent at Walmart is the same), and a sidewall for $15 in 2018 (the $15 Ozark Trail Sun Wall at Walmart is the same), give me options as I set up camp.
  • I normally use just my original canopy, with one side pulled close-in to the street-side, with the other side extended 4-ft past my curb-side door(my preferred entrance), while the 4x8 trailer is completely covered by it. That way I have a covered sitting area, with easy access to my side-table, & cooking stand(s) (2 different ones, if needed), and to my $25 ? teepee-style pop-up potty tent (doorway tucked under the overhanging canopy, and lashed to one canopy leg, and the other to the trailer frame). The legs of the canopy are bungee'd to the street-side frame, while I use 25 lbs of old weights on each of the other two legs. Last trip, I used the sidewall to block sunlight thru my curb-side window, and to block the wind. In case the campsite requires it, I can reverse the set up. Or I can use the side-tent, bought in 2013, but lost in my garage for 4 years, and have a floored 10x10 foot room to replace the teepee.
  • I also have the option of covering the cooking area, now that I've got the second canopy. My "galley" is actually just a storage area, without any true "galley" space for food prep. Previously, I set up my food prep area under the hatch in inclement weather, but preferred not to, due to fuel tank/generator proximity, or crowded in under my canopy-covered sitting area. Now, I can use the second canopy, set up as a remote cooking area, during bad weather (using additional weights and bungee-attachments).
  • As to the weather affecting canopies, I've observed other campers getting theirs' mangled at several campsites, but (so far) I haven't had problems (other than one canopy dumping rainwater into an-unsealed door, once). And every trip I've gone on has had at least one night of T-storms, several very severe, and one trip was a three-day monsoon. Even if damaged or mangled, my total investment in 2 canopies + 2 side-tents + 1 sidewall = $165 (prices paid), or about $210 (replacement costs, max), versus the $272 (Amazon, for the "2000" model, just for roof/sitting area coverage) or more for an ARB awning. Might be worth it, if bare coverage of the sitting area alone was all I needed, but a damaging windstorm could prove quite expensive (if awning is left deployed). For my usage, no, but maybe for a standy or cargo conversion (where one could withdraw inside for sitting all-day during storms), but I must (or I choose to) stay outside. If I had a larger trailer, I might get an awning, but as it is, the cheaper cost, moveability, and quick and easy replacement of canopies (available nearly everywhere), make using canopies a viable alternative for campers.
Attachments
canopy  & tent variations.jpg
canopy & tent variations.jpg (201.97 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:07 pm

If you have a galley, the 10X10 Shelter works best. An awning goes off the side. Just depends on how you camp and where you want to sit/cook. I have never needed weights for a shelter. Stake it down and use guide wires if needed and I have never lost a shelter to wind. You are more likely to lose an awning to heavy rain then a shelter. Bad wind and rain, lower the 2 poles that are heading into the wind/rain and eliminate a lot of problems.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Sparksalot » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:03 pm

I've been contemplating an ARB or similar as well. The 10x10 isn't huge, but it is bulky. Sometimes I'd like the space for something else.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby crttaz » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:04 pm

plenty of bebt ARB poles this week due to rain.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby jmanscotch » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:45 pm

I like my 2500x2500 (8.5’ by 8.5’) ARB a lot. Replacement parts are cheap (poles are sub $15) and if setup correctly, they’re plenty strong.

I bought some 1/4 inch rebar stakes to stake everything down (the ones included are weak and bend easy in rocky coil, as I deal with).

The pros I found are:

- easy to store once mounted (mounted mine to roof rack)
- Easy setup
- perfect size for our needs
- cheap, easy to source replacement parts should it need repaired
- expandable in many ways with rooms, windbreaks, etc

Cons (specifically compared to a stand alone shelter):

- height is very dependent on where you mount the base
- not movable once mounted (ours is on the street side of the trailer. This is fine for us but some may not love committing to one side, especially with varying campsite setups)
- cost

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions