8.5 x 24 Toy Hauler Cargo Trailer Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

8.5 x 24 Toy Hauler Cargo Trailer Conversion

Postby m.glisson003 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:47 pm

It’s been awhile! Time for an update.

So the trailer has been completely wired. I installed a fantastic fan in place of the old vent. Installed a bathroom exhaust fan, rear lights above the ramp door, side awning lights and wired everything to a switch panel by the entry door. Here are some pics.

I made three under floor storage compartments. One of them is in between the axles and the other two are directly above the axles. The center one which is deeper will be for the batteries and other little things. The other two will just be for extra storage. The center one was made by welding angle iron together and 5/8 plywood. The other two were pretty easy. I already had a lip on one side so I just had to weld some angle iron to the other side to make another lip. Harbor freight welder worked great! All of the plywood and metal was sprayed to protect from rust and moisture rot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Re: 8.5 x 24 Toy Hauler Cargo Trailer Conversion

Postby m.glisson003 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:37 pm

Got some carpet installed for the under floor storage compartments.

Also got some windows installed. More picture to come.

m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby m.glisson003 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:36 pm

Anyone have suggestions for what to cover these seams with? Its for the ceiling panels.

m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby pchast » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:40 pm

t-molding like that used on plywood slit edges in less expensive furniture.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:57 pm

How about rows of LED strip lighting on dimmer switches? That could be a pretty effective way to get lots of light and still be able to control the brightness. You could also cover the strips for an indirect effect.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby m.glisson003 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:15 pm

Those are both great ideas. Unfortunately I couldn’t use the t moulding because I didn’t leave any space in the ceiling panels and I don’t think it’s wide enough to cover my screws. And the LEDs would be a great option but I already ran all of the wiring and insulated.

This is what I ended up going with. After some searching through Lowe’s I found this stuff and it works great. I ended up securing it with liquid nails.

m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby m.glisson003 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:16 am

Looking for some ideas for the under floor storage compartment doors. Right now I just have them free floating sitting in place. I had planned on putting hinges on them but after some thought I decided not to. I like the idea of being able to remove them completely and put it out of the way when putting things in and removing things. I'm trying to figure out the best way to trim the doors so that when its being walked on the rubber flooring wont start to peel up. Also I'm looking for some thoughts on insulating the doors because cold air gets through the edges.
m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:57 am

m.glisson003, Howdy;

Here's some food for thought.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware-We ... 5yc1vZc3dy

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:28 pm

I have the same problem with the seal on my RV door. … in the corners you can see light through the cracks. I bought and installed some of that rubber door seal with the sticky back glue around the edges of the door. At first, I was concerned that the glue would not adhere over time. However, after I installed the seal, the door would not close because the seal was too thick. In my case, I have not found a seal thin enough for my needs.

When I peeled off the seal, the glue was surprisingly strong … it took me about an hour of elbow grease using WD40 and alcohol to remove the residual glue from the door frame.

Then, I cut some lengths of that grey, foam, pipe insulation, split in half lengthwise, and friction fit them along the inside frame of the door. They fit and sealed great … however, as soon as I open the door, they fall out … not a long term solution for me. I don’t think I want to glue them in. However, I save the pieces of foam and store them inside the trailer for occasional use when it is very cold outside.

Now, I have hung a moving blanket folded in half over the door … works pretty good to keep out heat out in the summer and heat in in the winter; however, in the wintertime I still get frost accumulation around the door frame.

Hope you find a good solution for you door.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby m.glisson003 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:22 am

Time for another update! I’ve made a lot of progress.

I got a water inlet hatch installed. This should be the last hole I’ll have to cut on the trailer.
I built a base for my shower pan so the plumbing can run underneath it. Those hepvo traps are amazing. Only require 1/8 slope per foot of run.
Got the two walls framed. One of them will be in the bathroom and serve as a shower wall and the other is the wall that separates the bathroom from the rest of the trailer.
And I’ve got the fresh water tank installed! It’s a 45 gallon tank. I used 1/4 aluminum flat bar and bent it around the tank and then just bolted it on top of the floor joists. So that the plywood floor will sit flat I notched out where it sits over the tank mounting.

m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:25 am

+1 on the Hepvo Traps! :thumbsup: I've been using mine for a few years now and it has performed flawlessly. I ran my drain right through the floor because I couldn't afford to loose any height, 6 ft tall interior, 6 ft tall biker. But I didn't want to have a P-Trap hanging down and to interface with the black tank would have been problematic at best. Hepvo solved all those problems plus the added benefit of being a waterless trap means you can't get the sewer gas smell in the trailer, unless your driving through Juarez! Ay Caramba! Traditional traps can also dry out when not being used or even be sucked dry at highway speeds leading to that familiar "Outhouse on Wheels" syndrome. :oops: If the water is not in the trap, it's just a vent for the blacktank, and path of least resistance and all, that's probably where the gas will go and stay. Carpets, drapes, clothes, bedding, dogs, food, furniture are all great collectors of funk. Also, Hepvo won't let liquids or solids backup into the drain from the tank. Nice!
I don't know what you have planned for your plumbing system, but I went with a black tank only. So grey water can also go there or... put in a diverter valve so you have the option to drain grey water ( shower/sink) to the ground when acceptable. That helps to extend the time you can go before needing to empty the black tank. You can always grab a 5 gal can or two for fresh water refill and not have to take the rig to town till you have filled the black tank. I have never come close to filling the black, even 10 days/ 2 people.

You are making lots progress there. Just keep chipping away at it and it will be done before you know it.
Happy and Prosperous New Year to you and yours.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby m.glisson003 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:12 pm

Thanks Mcdave. I’m really looking forward to seeing how the hepvo performs. My only concern is I don’t have my grey water tank vented so hopefully it will drain fine. I plan on installing air admittance valves.

I made some more progress. Got some flooring installed in the bathroom and wall panels put up. The bathroom is officially a separate room now. I started framing a vanity for the bathroom. I used 2x2s and then screwed a sheet of nice cabinet grade plywood to the front. I was able to use the door cutouts for walls in the vanity. So far this entire vanity is just made from a sheet of plywood and a handful of 2x2s!

I’ll work on the doors sometime later.

m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby m.glisson003 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:14 pm

Anytime have any awesome ideas for kitchen and bathroom vanity countertops? I want them to be the same. I just haven’t decided how I want to make them yet.

m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:21 pm

You will need a vent on the grey water tank.

The displaced air has to go somewhere and it will bubble in your drains and cause issues. Ask me how I know. :-)

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:49 pm

Yep, I can't see how it will work without some kind of vent. Air admittance is really more about siphon break and not sucking p-traps dry. If there is no where for the air in the tank to go, water can't drain into tank. If routing vent is a problem, you can enter side of tank but will lose some capacity. Vent is also very important to drain tank, so air can replace liquid rapidly and get a forceful drain flow.(more important with black tank, but still important) You want to give the funk an easy way out, both gas and liquid/solid so it won't want to come inside... :oops:

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions