8.5 x 24 Toy Hauler Cargo Trailer Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 8.5 x 24 Toy Hauler Cargo Trailer Conversion

Postby hankaye » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:06 am

Howdy All;

Ok, in my RV (home), I have 3 waste tanks 1 Black & 1 Gray, that have
the through the roof vents. Then I also have a same sized tank for the galley,
at the other end (rear) of the 5th wheel, under the kitchen sink is an Air Admission
Valve, or vent if you wish. Have never had a problem dumping any of the 3 tanks.

In your sticks an bricks homes y'all or most of ya have an AAV under the kitchen sink
and I don't think the vast majority have ever noticed any nasty smells, have ya???

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:31 am

m.glisson003 wrote:Anytime have any awesome ideas for kitchen and bathroom vanity countertops? I want them to be the same. I just haven’t decided how I want to make them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a couple of ideas for you.

Slabs of raw wood make interesting tops...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnKg49cXnNs

Also concrete for DIY...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk613iBUiBw

Or copper tops...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A52WeO751Jc

Or faux finish..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXk2Czs1KjQ

I really don't have much countertop so I used a piece of scrap solid surface granite left over from kitchen remodel. You may be able to find scrap pieces at countertop supply houses or contractors.

This is a great chance to be creative, get ideas from the wife and kidneys etc.
Have fun and Good Luck!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:37 am

hankaye wrote:Howdy All;

Ok, in my RV (home), I have 3 waste tanks 1 Black & 1 Gray, that have
the through the roof vents. Then I also have a same sized tank for the galley,
at the other end (rear) of the 5th wheel, under the kitchen sink is an Air Admission
Valve, or vent if you wish. Have never had a problem dumping any of the 3 tanks.

In your sticks an bricks homes y'all or most of ya have an AAV under the kitchen sink
and I don't think the vast majority have ever noticed any nasty smells, have ya???

hank

Air admission valves do just what the name infers.. admit air into the drain, not out. So, no smell... hopefully!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:15 pm

No AAV's in the house. Each drain is vented on the roof and air can go either direction. AAV as already mentioned are one way and primarily so you so not clear all your traps when you dump due to the large continuous volume. It is not a vent to relieve positive pressures in the closed tank.

In any case, the vent does not need to be much.. I ended up running my gray water vent to my Black water pipe inside the CTC along the baseboard via a 1/2 flex hose and a :T" I put in at the base of the toilet where the BW vent stack comes up. It fixed all the drain issues I was having due to no positive vent.

The "T" at the Black Water Vent Pipe where I connect the Gray Water Vent Hose.

Grey Water Vent Flex line going into a "T" at the base of the Blackwater Vent Pipe behind the toilet.

Vent Pipe at Grey Water tank with the Air Admittance Valve (AAV) on top of the stack

Grey Water vent hose coming out from under vanity and along the wall to the toilet. Same path as the Cold Water Pipe. Obviously had not cleaned up the saw dust in that pic. LOL

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:00 pm

m.glisson003 wrote:Time for another update! I’ve made a lot of progress.
I got a water inlet hatch installed. This should be the last hole I’ll have to cut on the trailer.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is always another hole.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby m.glisson003 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:33 pm

Howdy all!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. For the plumbing vent I’m still brainstorming. I don’t really want to route it through the ceiling mainly because I hadn’t incorporated that into my plans and it would be yet another hole to cut in the trailer. Maybe I could route it between the studs on the wall between the kitchen and bathroom. I used 2x3s for the framing there so I could fit a 2 and 1/2 pipe in between there. I’ll think about it.

I’m also still looking at custom countertop plans. Thanks for the cool ideas Mcdave.

Here’s an update on what else I’ve gotten done.
Shower walls up
Kitchen area starting to get built out.
Bathroom vanity and medicine cabinet coming together
Here is a pic of my plumbing setup for the shower and bathroom sink drain. The kitchen sink will connect at the lower part of the drain in the picture
And here it is roughly installed. I cut the hole a long time ago before I got the plumbing parts so I had to move it over a bit. So much for a beauty plate covering it haha. But at least it will be under the cabinet out of sight out of mind.

m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:26 am

Lookin good :thumbsup:
I've always liked the way Hader did his vent. http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6 ... 5#p1207847 (scroll one post down to see his unique exit)
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby m.glisson003 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:43 am

Time for an update. I’ve made a lot more progress.

I cut some shelves for the bathroom vanity and drilled peg holes so the shelf can fit on three different levels. Then I bought some locking shelf pins and now I have adjustable shelves that won’t move.

Then I installed a side wall that is hinged and swings open so that I have access to the shower plumbing.

I then started to paint. That was a process. I wanted it to look good so I made sure to sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint. And wipe everything clean with a tack cloth after sanding each step. It seemed like that project would never end.

I did run into an unfortunate setback. The shower walls I put up started to fall down. I imagine it’s because it got so cold here for a few weeks. The adhesive didn’t adhere to the shower walls and barely adhered to the surface behind the walls. So I had to scrape off all of the old adhesive and start over. This time I left a heater on and it was warmer out so it seemed to work out great this time. The heater could actually get the bathroom up to 70 degrees! So I just set it to 55 and left it overnight. I don’t have a picture of the new shower but I will take one later. Here is the glue I had to scrape off.

Painting is almost wrapped up and I noticed a huge shadow cast on the medicine cabinet and vanity as you’re standing in front of it. So I installed some lights above the sink and under the top cabinets. The hardest part of that was fishing the wire from the main light to tap into that power.

Now for the part that I’m most happy with so far. I did a lot of research on epoxy and decided to go that route for the countertops. I bought some epoxy, powdered resin color, spray paint and other supplies. Total cost for materials was around $100. But after it’s all said and done I still have 80% of the epoxy, color pigment and spray paint left. So I can do my entire kitchen still! I ended up doing it in my living room since it needs 60-80 degrees to cure properly. Here are the pictures!

It really turned out great! Here are some pics of it installed

m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby m.glisson003 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:00 pm

That other update was so long I decided to stop and start a different one. I should probably update this more often.

I wanted this one to be by itself also because I want to give a huge thanks to flboy for helping me behind the scenes with my electrical setup. Sometimes no matter how much google searching you do it’s hard to find an answer and even if you do find it you may not understand it. It’s great to have a community of people who have been there and are willing to take the time to thoroughly explain how things work. Flboy has helped me out a ton and I really appreciate it.

So here it is. I used to have my battery, battery charger, and basically all of my electrical just sitting on my wheel well cover in my trailer. Since racing season starts in a month and I have to be able to move the trailer So i started to work on my electrical system. I bought a Wfco converter/charger and installed that. Then installed the battery in the under floor compartment.

Everything works great! I had a funny moment where I had hooked all of the AC up, plugged the power cord into the trailer shore power plug, and then flipped the breakers on the power center. I then plugged something into the wall outlet to see if I have power and nothing. After about 15 minutes of scratching my head and pondering I realized I just needed to hit the reset button on the outlet. Then it worked great!

The two remaining dc circuits will be for the furnace and water pump.

Eventually I plan on getting four t-105 6 volt batteries for when I’m out for several days but this battery was free and Is working great for now.

m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby Iconfabul8 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:32 am

Counter top looks great :thumbsup:
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:28 am

Iconfabul8 wrote:Counter top looks great :thumbsup:

Agree! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Do you have a link for your epoxy supplies?
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby birdhunter » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:51 pm

Counter top looks really good!! :applause:
birdhunter
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Az Pete » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:21 pm

very nice.

I am late to the party, but wonder how you are going to vent your battery compartment?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Az Pete
Teardrop Builder

Postby kirkupnorth » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Your countertops look amazing! Was it difficult to do? I'm wondering if it would work to use this technique on some plywood, and then install it upright as a backsplash.
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby m.glisson003 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:42 am

Thanks everyone.

Here are the links for the epoxy resin and blue pigment.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NLPCA ... b_pd_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07L9Z2T ... b_pd_title

I ordered a gallon kit which was just enough to do a base coat and a clear coat over each of my countertops. The general rule is 3oz per sq ft. They have smaller kits if you don’t have as much countertop. Here is how the kitchen countertop turned out.

It was pretty easy to do. Basically cut the plywood, router an edge if you’d like one, cut out any holes for sinks and appliances, sand it, paint the plywood with paint and primer, then mix the epoxy and add color, pour over and spread with trowel or roller, then torch it to release air bubbles. Come back and torch 2 or 3 more times and let it cure. I’d recommend watching stone coat countertops videos. They are very helpful.

The battery compartment is vented on the sides. The side walls don’t go all the way up to the floor to allow for venting. I’ll try to remember to take a picture today.

m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions