8.5 x 24 Toy Hauler Cargo Trailer Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby m.glisson003 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:52 pm

Hello all! Its finally time to start my Toy Hauler CTC.

I want to start by saying THANK YOU to everyone in this community on this forum. I've spent years looking at different build projects and have collected so many great ideas for my build based on the trials and errors of people who share their experiences on here. And I'm always finding cool new ideas! Its a huge endeavor to turn one of these empty shells into something livable. Thank you to all of you who devote your time to not only your project but sharing it with the community.

Alright so here it is. I bought a black 8.5 x 24 V nose cargo trailer with extra height, screw less exterior, straight axles, one piece aluminum roof and a 36' RV side door. I do a lot of trail riding on my YZ and also race with the Washington Motorcycle Road Racing Association. The idea is to be able to live comfortably on race weekends at the track and for extended weekends at the trails or dunes. It will have a ceiling bed in the back over the bikes, a kitchen, and a bathroom in the front.
Last edited by m.glisson003 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Re: 8.5 x 24 Toy Hauler Cargo Trailer Conversion

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:26 pm

m.glisson003 wrote:The idea is to be able to live comfortably

Very Nice! You should be able to build a lot of comfort into all that space. Looking forward to your build.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby cg_ops » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:43 am

Can't wait to watch this one - i'm waiting on my own LOOK Vision 8.5x24x7.5 V-nose to arrive in January. We have similar goals as I bought mine for track day weekends, AFM races, and camping. I'll be especially interested in hearing about the how you do your bath/toilet/bed setup.
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Postby m.glisson003 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:08 pm

cg_ops wrote:Can't wait to watch this one - i'm waiting on my own LOOK Vision 8.5x24x7.5 V-nose to arrive in January. We have similar goals as I bought mine for track day weekends, AFM races, and camping. I'll be especially interested in hearing about the how you do your bath/toilet/bed setup.

Thats awesome! I was going to get a 20 ft trailer but decided to splurge and get the extra 4 ft as it didn't cost much extra. I'm glad I did because bikes are around 7 ft long. So having 4 of those in the trailer will take up 15 feet. Also, the one piece roof and screw less exterior are some really nice features too. I highly recommend both of those. Here is a rough sketch of top down interior layout. The items depicted in dotted lines are under the counter. The drawing is pretty close to scale. Each square is 6 inches. I didn't have enough room on the paper so the back 12 ft isn't shown. But all that will be back there is a ceiling drop down bed and the bikes. This will give you an idea of how I'm doing the kitchen and bathroom setup. I'm not entirely sure I want to put the fold down beds on the side. I may end up putting some fold down bed/sofas directly under the main bed in the back. Also, I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to install an AC or even a toilet. A toilet would be nice but everywhere I go seems to have good facilities and that way I don't have to mess with a black water tank.
m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby PrecisionLook612 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:07 pm

cg_ops wrote:Can't wait to watch this one - i'm waiting on my own LOOK Vision 8.5x24x7.5 V-nose to arrive in January. We have similar goals as I bought mine for track day weekends, AFM races, and camping. I'll be especially interested in hearing about the how you do your bath/toilet/bed setup.

You are going to love the LOOK Vision. My Dad has a Vision Gooseneck that is really well built. I am happy with my Element so far and the Vision is even nicer!
PrecisionLook612
Teardrop Builder

Postby m.glisson003 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:49 am

Insulation going in.
m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:52 am

That is a lot of trailer my friend, a lot of trailer. I like your style.
Good Luck and Happy Camping.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby m.glisson003 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:02 pm

I got some more insulating done. What I have left is places where cuts need to be made. Here is my question to the community. The plans I sketched have the furnace and power center in one cabinet. The bottom will be the furnace, power center right above that and everything above that will be pantry/storage. I plan on putting the power inlet directly behind the power center. It will be offset from the furnace exhaust a few inches(see picture). Does anyone foresee any issues with that? I dont want to have the furnace running and melt my electrical cord if it’s too close. Obviously putting the power inlet directly above the furnace exhaust would be a bad idea because the cord would hang directly over the exhaust. Just not sure if what I have planned is good enough. I could always move it to the left a few more inches in between the next two studs(see picture). That will give me a few more inches away from the exhaust. What are your thoughts?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:05 pm

m.glisson003, Howdy;

Geeez, been since last April, last week of March since I
last used my furnace. What make is yours, the kind with just one opening for inlet
and exhaust or the one with separate but close to each other inlet and exhaust ?
Either way I don't think there is that much heat in the exhaust, as the majority is
used for heating the RV. The plenum absorbs the heat and the fan directs it to the
ducting and on out to the living area and the nasty exhaust goes out the side to
pester the neighbors as noise. I've held my hand in front of the exhaust, maybe 6-10
inches away and it wasn't that hot. Could hold it there for maybe 10 seconds???
A heavy duty cord, like one used for an RV could be used nearby (approx. 10 to 12
inches away), without any real concerns IMO. Just my thoughts and observations
someone else may have better info. Heaters work off of 12vdc so you can hook it up
and see for yourself.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:51 pm

The power center needs cool air to keep the transformer and electronics cool. I don't think I would mount it above the furnace if I had a choice. You might want to refer to the manual for your power center. I have a WFCO 8955 and I remember they were quite specific about the vents and heat. The power center will produce heat when charging battery or supplying for higher 12v loads. (watts or amps = heat)

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby m.glisson003 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks for your input hankaye and McDave.

I did read the owners manual and the only warnings it gave was basically don’t put it in a compartment with LP gas and do not cover or block vent openings.

So when I install my heater I’m going to build it in a sealed compartment and still out the power center above it. I also went and looked at some travel trailers and toy haulers and a lot of them had the power center and furnace in close proximity.

I got the grey water tank installed today. The only materials I needed for that was a 6ft length of square metal tube, some galvanized bolts, and metal strapping. Here is how I did it..

m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby m.glisson003 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:53 pm

I'm looking into options for an awning light. I would like to use LED strip light and run it under my awning. It seems to be the sleekest option. My concern is that if I stick the light strip on the skin of the trailer then the light won't shine down to the ground and will only project to the side of the trailer. When I went looking at travel trailers and toy haulers I saw one of the trailer's had an LED light strip under the awning that was in a channel that angled the light down 45 degrees. SO I have two questions...

1. Can anyone confirm whether or not the strip light will work properly with the light strip attached directly to the skin of the trailer?

2. Anyone know where I could find that track that makes the light shine down to the ground?
m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:30 am

m.glisson003, Howdy;

Like the tank install, Something to consider, :thinking: , I would have only done
one thing differently if I were doing it. I'd have gotten hold of some used bike tire
tubes (from a co-op ), and slid them over the straps to prevent chaffing and a
possible "rub through" and leak. I'd also cut the valve off, they're tacky looking
when used for "other stuff" . Just something to consider ...

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby m.glisson003 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:28 pm

Hank,

That’s a great idea! I’ll look for some kind of rubber bushings to put on the rails.

What do you mean when you said cut the valve off?

m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:57 am

m.glisson003, Howdy;

It's my get up to drive to the doctor day and the coffee is still cooking. Well, that
and it's been 2 weeks since I wrote that and at the moment I haven't a clue what
I meant then, looked back and studied the pix and read the postings and still can't
figure out what I meant so in the famous words of Rosanna Rosanadana ... Never mind.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions