8.5 x 24 V - Family Full-timing Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

8.5 x 24 V - Family Full-timing Conversion

Postby mortuusangelus » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:21 pm

Hello all, from about the middle of Virginia (near Fredericksburg). I'm Mike. My wife and I are putting together plans, drawings and ideas (and of course, the king of it all.. money.. :roll: ) for a conversion that is going to start with an 8.5 ft by 24 ft V nose cargo/car hauler trailer. Won't be getting the trailer itself until next year, and I will be special ordering it as I want a couple things done by the factory, like 7 ft ceilings, possibly a second door in the nose (planning on making it storage for tools/camping stuff/etc.) The fun part is squeezing myself, my wife and our 3 little ones in, doing it relatively comfortably (in the limited space) and making sure we have enough room for storage of the various stuff, food, etc. I am planning on putting in a full bathroom, though whether or not the black water stuff goes in immediately or waits will depend on funding and time. The kitchen will be in the rear, accessible from the outside... and thanks to another build I saw on here and for the life of me can't find the build now... anyway, he turned the ramp into a room, complete with roof and walls, all removable/foldable. I'm thinking of doing that for the more.. inclement weather, as I don't particularly mind cooking outside most times anyway. Saves from accidently stinking up the living area as well when a concoction goes wrong. :oops:

Let's see.. what else, oh, I'm getting those bogey wheels welded to the rear, try to save the frame from getting dragged on steep driveways, etc. Also planning on upgraded to 5200 lb torsion axles w/ EB. One particular trailer company I'm looking at offers a .40 aluminum skin, which may save some heartache down the road with dents and such. 16" on center all around (walls, roof & floor) Though the floor spacing will make it interesting with the grey and black tanks, unless I can figure something out in the mean time or I can find tanks that'll fit between the ribs. Extended tongue 60 inch, triple tube, 2 roof vents cut in and wired for fans. (I'm going to be going the window unit AC direction, for cost purposes.) Ladder permanantly mounted for roof access, as we are planning on doing solar eventually (if not immediately.) One thing I'm still debating about is to stick with the 6 in. frame or upgrade to the 8 in. I'm figuring I'll be looking at along the lines of 6000-ish lbs when done with everything, a lot is going to depend on battery bank size, etc.

We will be putting in batteries, as this will be a AC/DC system, also trying to decide between an all in one converter/inverter/battery charger or seperate the converter/charger and the inverter. May be picking up a quiet run small 2000W generator as well, we'll see on that one.

I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty, but I'm at work right now and brain is all over the place. Anyways, we're hoping to pick some brains, get ideas and plans validated, commented on, etc. As well as possibly meet some of you when this is finally our rolling home. (I'm hoping/shooting for a 6-8 month build, given the time needed for work, etc. We'll definitely see how well that plan holds water.)

So yeah, there it is. Oh, I do have a rough concept drawn up in a program called Sweet Home 3D (I'm a Linux user, I don't touch Windows except for occasional gaming or work related stuff), so getting things like SketchUp and AutoCAD and the like working... eh. And SH3D gives a nice 3D layout to look at, which my wife likes.. as she has a hard time conceptualizing things related to size/space without seeing it.
mortuusangelus
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 8.5 x 24 V - Family Full-timing Conversion

Postby hankaye » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:16 pm

mortuusangelus, Howdy;

:applause: Welcome to the maddness! :lol:

Looks like you've been doing some good research, best thing I can recommend is ask questions, lots of questions.
Not just here but when you talk to the salesfolks you'll be dealing with, send them e-mails and keep their replies to
look back at to generate more questions. On here we can generate a few answers to some of your questions as well.
You just have to ask so we know which one has ya stumped at the moment.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mortuusangelus » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:52 pm

I've already stopped at a couple local trailer dealers, asking questions regarding pricing, customization, etc. I get the feeling I'll be driving down to Georgia to pick up one from the manufacturer, as at least locally around me the prices aren't what I'd call competitive, especially with what I could get elsewhere being willing to burn a couple hundred (maybe?) in gas to pick up. Unless I find an outrageously good deal on a used trailer that isn't beat all to hell and back.

So.. Here's a couple pictures.

That's one version of what we're looking to do. She's having me draw up a couple different layouts, to see if she likes the space/feel.. and also because she's concerned the kids are gonna get mad about who gets the top bunk, etc. I'm all for law of the jungle/king of the hill and see who survives. :lol:
mortuusangelus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:58 am

Keep your eyes open and remember to check the For Sale forum on this site. viewforum.php?f=18
That is a pretty big trailer you are looking for, but you never know.
Good Luck!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby NO David! » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:22 am

Welcome!

We crammed 6 of us into our 7x16, should be a breeze for you and your project.
Ours-very basic:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48345
Here's another one for kids that I like:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=61833

Couple of thoughts, if you don't expect to load vehicles in your trailer, consider specifying standard height axles instead of the traditional 4" drop. I ordered standard leaf spring setup and gained 4" additional ground clearance. It's really helpful on low spots, drive transitions, and the occasional forest service road visit. I think there is an adjustment procedure or even a lift kit for the Dexter torsion 4" drop to achieve similar results.

I also wanted a permanent rear kitchen, but realized quickly, that the ability to change the use of the trailer to load/unload gear was much more valuable, since we cooked outside most of the time anyway. We chose barn doors over ramp, for the versatility. We can always use portable ramps.

I think we need a sticky note for this short list of considerations:
-Buy a larger trailer than you think you will need (I think you have this one covered).
-Install windows high and offset front/rear
-Fantastic vent fan in roof
-Go ahead and spend the extra for a factory installed RV door
-Ditto on stab jacks welded on 4 corners
-Factory welded single step at the RV door (you did increase your budget for the RV door didn't you? you can thank us later 8) ).

8.5 x 24 is a pretty big trailer, (for me). Be sure your tow rig is up to the task, also, consider where you will typically camp? Do you want to wrestle that rig into your favorite spots? Will you miss out on places due to the overhang length at the rear? Does the tow rig have mirrors to handle the 8.5 width? Sometimes more isn't necessarily better, it's just more. You may well have considered all of these questions, but since you are still in the planning stage you can consider them. Draw or tape your layout onto the garage floor or driveway. Do a dry run of your layout using lawn chairs, cot, etc. see how it feels or flows. Easy to change now, difficult and expensive later.

Here's another couple of "oldies but goodies" for ideas:
7x24 Toy Hauler 8Ball_99
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=43448
Gadgetman Adventure 7x14
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=45992

Reach out to Homesteader in Tennessee via one of their dealers, they'll build one with reasonable customization. I've stated I would consider Cargo Craft again, but with detailed communication with the factory, so everyone is on the same page.

Best.

David
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby beachguy005 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:07 am

Just a minor point on your layout. Most trailer manufacturers that I looked at measure from the rear to the nose. Not an issue on a flat front but on a V nose the length includes the V. Based on your drawings I think you're looking at about a 28 foot trailer overall. Those don't include the tongue length. Be sure to check the actual dimensions of the V nose trailer you buy.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby mortuusangelus » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:10 pm

McDave, no kidding on the size.. I'd be fine with a 20 and a bit of creative building, but the wife is "very concerned" about space.

David, lotsa good info. Size has definitely been considered, we are trying to make it a bit more "liveable", considering we're going to be full-timing in this thing, a bit more space to move about in bad weather will be good. Especially for the little ones (we're talking between 1 year and 4 years old). The dry run sounds like a good idea, maybe it'll get the wife to see I can make something smaller work. I've gone back and forth between doors and ramp.. I think I can make the ramp work a little better for extra space and to make cooking a bit easier in the nastier weather.

Beachguy005, I actually got a copy of the specs sheet for the trailer I've currently been looking at and it sits at 28' 6" overall length, not including the extended tongue. 26' interior length, 8' 1" width inside and it'll have 7' ceiling. So yeah, it's a bit big.. lol
mortuusangelus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby aggie79 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:43 pm

I need to issue the disclaimer that I haven't built a cargo trailer conversion but have been researching this forum and gathering ideas for some time. (Translation: I'm ready to build but don't have the $> to build.)

My plan is to either 1) get a floor framing plan from the manufacture if I decide to have a CT built or 2) carefully measuring the floor framing if I buy a CT off the lot or a used one. This is so I can be sure that I can design the plumbing around any frame rails or cross-members. Of particular concern is the location of black and gray water tanks and toilet waste line/closet flange.

You might want to do something similar. You wouldn't want to frame bathroom walls now and later find out that you can't put the toilet where planned because of frame rail interference.

Another thing to consider for your trailer width are the wheel well locations. They will inset into your living space.

Your build sounds exciting. I look forward to following your progress.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby mortuusangelus » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:23 pm

I've taken the wheel wells into consideration since we're looking at an 8.5 footer. That is why I'm trying to design(ish) the beds or something like cabinets over them so they don't interfere with actual living space. As for the tanks, I know I can order tanks that are narrow enough to fit between the rails. I'm also considering having a raised floor, so I can mount the tanks inside, I even saw something about using a marine sump to push the water into the gray tank from the shower, instead of having it gravity fed. Design considerations that haven't solidified as yet.. pretty much the only thing that's set in stone is the kitchen in the rear, and the fact that the wife wants us to have a walled off bedroom. Other than that, everything is moveable/changeable at the moment.
mortuusangelus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ris » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:22 am

Check out our build. “ris 8.5 X 18 new trailer build 11/1/17”
A couple of thoughts. Our trailer was 18 ft long and with 30 gal of water, food, and clothes for 2 people weighed on certified scales about 5900 lbs. We have barn doors which are lighter than a ramp door also with no black tank and only a 12 gallon gray tank. Even with propane tank and storage area at very rear of trailer tongue weight is 585 lbs. this is with no water in gray tank and our 30 gallon tank is centered on axel. We also have nature’s head composting toilet which helps cut down water usage. With showers every other day using less than 2 gallons per person 30 gallons of water will get 2 people through a week of boondocking. We carry 6 gallons of water in the truck and have to use it sometimes. You will most likely need at least 50 gallons of water. Unless you can afford places with showers and water hookups every 3 or 4 days. We have lived in our 18 footer for the last 5 months. As others have said ask lots of questions. Our tow vehicle is a 1/2 ton Silverado with a 5.3 liter engine with tow haul on and the largest transmission cooler that will fit the truck in the Rocky Mountains we get down to 45 mph with a transmission temperature of 230 f. You have time so do a lot of research. You might try renting a small camper and see how the family does on a 2 week vacation with water and power usage in a real situation. Also mileage for us is 8.5 to 9.5 mpg.
ris
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:32 pm

mortuusangelus wrote: I even saw something about using a marine sump to push the water into the gray tank from the shower, instead of having it gravity fed.

I've been using one of those sumps. So far so good. Works great. However if I ever build another trailer, it will be a bigger, taller one that I will keep everything inside and warm.
Sump Link
My Sump Install
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions