Lay Out Idea Gone Bad

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Lay Out Idea Gone Bad

Postby jwh92020 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:48 pm

Long Post Alert!!! The original plan for this trailer (6 x 12 x 6'6") was to build a wall at the rear of the trailer 11" in from the rear doors. That area was to be a storage/utility connection area. I also wanted to put a 32 x 32 shower with a porta potty in it in the front, and the frig would center in the "V". I cut some left over foam board to 34 x 32 (the extra 2" are to allow for the side walls of the shower) and I put a twin bed frame that I had built for another trailer in there ( I will build a sofa bed that will be a full size bed later) and sad to say, one of those if not both ideas are going away. There is no way to get the shower and the storage area. My first thought was to lose the storage area and pull the bed back, but even doing that, it's too tight for my fat butt to get around in there. I looked at a smaller shower, butt again (pun intended) it's too tight. I'm going to lose the shower idea completely (the porta potty is much more critical to my needs), pull the cabinet I built around the frig toward the rear of the trailer just enough for the PP to be stored in the frig opening. I'm moving the frig straight up - it will sit on the counter top and I'll build cabinets around it. In the picture, the bed is sitting out as if it was a full size bed and I kept the storage area (the blue tape represents the wall) I could run about 2 ft of cabinets down the driver's side without it being too tight. Or I can lose the storage area, bring the bed back further and open it up a bit more. either way, I'll be re-thinking my ac location. HELP!
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Re: Lay Out Idea Gone Bad

Postby redbicycle » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:01 pm

jwh92020 wrote:Long Post Alert!!! The original plan for this trailer (6 x 12 x 6'6") was to build a wall at the rear of the trailer 11" in from the rear doors. That area was to be a storage/utility connection area. I also wanted to put a 32 x 32 shower with a porta potty in it in the front, and the frig would center in the "V". I cut some left over foam board to 34 x 32 (the extra 2" are to allow for the side walls of the shower) and I put a twin bed frame that I had built for another trailer in there ( I will build a sofa bed that will be a full size bed later) and sad to say, one of those if not both ideas are going away. There is no way to get the shower and the storage area. My first thought was to lose the storage area and pull the bed back, but even doing that, it's too tight for my fat butt to get around in there. I looked at a smaller shower, butt again (pun intended) it's too tight. I'm going to lose the shower idea completely (the porta potty is much more critical to my needs), pull the cabinet I built around the frig toward the rear of the trailer just enough for the PP to be stored in the frig opening. I'm moving the frig straight up - it will sit on the counter top and I'll build cabinets around it. In the picture, the bed is sitting out as if it was a full size bed and I kept the storage area (the blue tape represents the wall) I could run about 2 ft of cabinets down the driver's side without it being too tight. Or I can lose the storage area, bring the bed back further and open it up a bit more. either way, I'll be re-thinking my ac location. HELP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:31 pm

Yep, a 6x12 is kinda squishy. The priorities for my 6X12 were A/C, a big shower, nice toilet and a bed. Everything else was secondary. You definitely have to set your priorities. Can't fit it all in a 6X12. I am happy as a clam tho, still ended up with, a nice table, overhead and under bed storage , space for a small (very small) sink, tv, and I am still squeezing things in hear and there.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby jwh92020 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:05 am

Unless the SHTF, I will always be at s place with hook ups & showers, so losing the shower is not going to compromise the usability too much. The porta potty is so I don't have to walk to the bathroom at 2 am when it's 30 degrees outside. I will be able to keep the rear storage area. I read thru your build, and like you, a Sausage McMuffin & a Diet Coke and I'm ready to go. I boughtvthe trailer off the lot, so it is what it is. When I buildvthe "I'm keeping this one" trailer, I'll move the side door bsck. That is a game changer when it comes to layout. Thanks for the support.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby NO David! » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:33 am

The extra foot on the 7 wide makes a HUGE difference.
But with that said, I went into the way back machine, take a look at Gadgetman's 7x14, see if you can take some of his layout, wash it in hot water, and make it work for you.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=45992

Gonefishin 6x12 a functional favorite:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33924

6x12 offroad toy hauler (even has a slide out kitchen):
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/base-camp-small-off-road-toy-hauler-slide-out-kitchen.151731/

Wells Cargo 5x10 Wander Waggin-shows you can do more with less:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=35325

You ought to be able to graft enough ideas from these builds above to sort something out for your trailer. Couple of decent-sized slider windows high and offset at each end like Gonefishin, with a Fantastic Vent fan has to be the best upgrade to a small dark trailer, that I can think of. Brings light in, ventilation, makes the whole rig feel larger.

Fwiw, my A/C closet doubles as a utility closet, and the entire thing is remove-able, thanks to vertical e-track mounting:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=49438#p956281
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby jwh92020 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:32 am

NO David! - Thanks for the links. I'm sure I'll find some things to use in my build. This is going to be a quick, budget build because I have to spend some time working out of town Nov & Dec. My long term trailer will be a 7 x 14/16 V nose or a frame up build (I've built two 7 x 10 x 6'2") travel trailers since June and they were way too much fun. I just don't have time to put one together in time for his work trip. Cost wise, to get a frame up build to the starting point of a CTC, it's about the same. You don't have all the extra time in building to a dried in point, which is huge. Here are a couple pics of my last build.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:51 pm

jwh92020 wrote:Unless the SHTF, I will always be at s place with hook ups & showers, so losing the shower is not going to compromise the usability too much. The porta potty is so I don't have to walk to the bathroom at 2 am when it's 30 degrees outside. I will be able to keep the rear storage area. I read thru your build, and like you, a Sausage McMuffin & a Diet Coke and I'm ready to go. I boughtvthe trailer off the lot, so it is what it is. When I buildvthe "I'm keeping this one" trailer, I'll move the side door bsck. That is a game changer when it comes to layout. Thanks for the support.

Why don't you put in an outside shower so if you are remote.... you can get set up a hoop on he outside and take a shower outdoors (of course only if TSHTF)? Also use the same on demand HW heater for an portable indoor shower that you can break down when not used.

You should check out Tommy's 6ft.*12ft.setup on his build page. It works great. A shower takes up alot of real estate in a trailer, so for the smaller footprints, you have to be flexible and be able to re-configure. Tommy has a nice portable shower setup (hoop/curtain/water catch basin) that he has perfected over time. He even put in a sump that drains the basin to make it easier to move when done showering. Check his out on "HALLMARK 6X12 CONVERSION" thread.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=66084

He has all the amenities in a 6ft.*12ft. with room for a dirtbike or 4 wheeler when he hits the road. It has a Self contained Toilet with BW Tank, Freshwater holding tank, Shower,Hot Water on demand, 2 burner Stove with range hood, Retractable Awning, Solar Power, TV, self-retracting bed, 12VDC/110VAC roll around fridge .. etc.. Well laid out an super functional, especially for the smaller footprint.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby jwh92020 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:42 pm

Don - I won't be "remote" as in boondocking. I'll use the trailer while 'm working over in Memphis (I'm paying for the stay, so RV parks it is), rather than scary, inexpensive hotels. I'm building this solely as a "need it now" kind of thing and looking at a 7 x 14/16 V nose or a frame up build when I have time. I've seen Tommy's build - pretty ingenious stuff he's done in a small area. I decided to forego the shower since I'll have access to showers and rest rooms, but I kept the porta potty for late night calls. Here is a pic of what we are doing. Frig up on counter top, PP on a rool out platform in the original frig opening. Added in a couple of drawers. I pulled the cabinet frame out to 31 1/2 from the point of the V. That gives me room for the frig to sit back, a sink on the left of the frig and a cook top on the right. Not sure what I'm doing about the upper cabinet. I may just go with open shelves for now. 156469
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:06 am

Got it. Good luck with your conversion. That will make it much easier since you will have access to facilities. The porta-potty is essential for those late night wakeup calls. That is all I had in my last CTC and it was worth every penny. Having the porta-potty and a small sink, and you will be all set!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions