AC Placement - Pro's & Con's

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

AC Placement - Pro's & Con's

Postby jwh92020 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:40 pm

More AC talk... My plan is to build a wall at the rear of the trailer to make a storage area inside the rear doors. The blue tape on the wall in the first pic is where the wall will go. The AC unit will be mounted in the wall and exhaust out thru the rear door ( I don't want to leave the doors open when using the AC). Because of the strap hinge on the rear doors, I can't move the AC higher up the wall to the ceiling. The blue box on the door is where the unit will mount. The top of the unit will be 57" above the floor. The "L" shaped bed will be against the passenger side wall and across the back wall. The really bad drawing will give you the basic idea. The reason I want to put the AC on the driver's side is so you don't have it right a ear level when sitting on the sofa/dinette/bed section while eating or watching TV (mounted on driver side wall) The only thing visible on the outside of the trailer will be the exhaust vent. I will have a duct from the rear of the AC to the rear door. The fresh air intake will come from vents on each side of the trailer (I'll relocate the 110v - 12v converter above the breaker box. It's only there until I get the solar panel installed). Thoughts?
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Re: AC Placement - Pro's & Con's

Postby troubleScottie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:03 pm

The only thing I can see is where is the end of the AC unit and the vent on the door. If there is any separation, wet warm air will be blown into your storage area. Also this possible drippage.

If you add some sort of hood/air guide, that might interfere with your expected storage usage -- large vertical item or shelves at that height.

The vent will bring outside air and rain while you are moving unless there is some sort of door/cover. If you are removing the AC unit when not needed, you might also need a cover/door for that opening to deal with fumes or air flow.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby jwh92020 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:51 pm

There will be 3" between the rear of the ac & the door. There will be a duct that seals the exhaust so it can only go out the vent in the door. The exhaust vent will have downward louvers (think residential return air grill or rv frig vent). I always put a drip pan with a drain tube under my window units. The spare tire will be mounted on the floor in the storage area on the passenger side. Hoses and cords will hang above it. The solar panel battery and jack stands will ride under the ac.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby low277 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:46 pm

I have a thought of a similar set up. I am not ready yet for my AC unit but will be watching. Always good to see others ideas.
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby jwh92020 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Just finished the Ac install. Getting ready to post pics.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions