Simple Plexiglass Star Window

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Simple Plexiglass Star Window

Postby Tomterrific » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:22 pm

A big skylight will be super hot until the sun sets. Just have a cover over it until dark.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby tc3 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:16 pm

Tomterrific wrote:A big skylight will be super hot until the sun sets. Just have a cover over it until dark.

Tt

Ya Im thinking I will have something on top of the roof that flips over when not in use. Also will have a magnetic shade screen for the inside as well.
tc3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jaysul » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Thats the benefit of using the picture window with plexi. Most house windows are low-e glass making the transfer of heat and cold not so much. Cover is nice in case you want to sleep in a little!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaysul
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tc3 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:38 am

Yeah then I get the best of both worlds. Great, now I got at least one part figured out! :applause:

For the window do I need anything specific? Can I get a window meant for the walll?
tc3
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jaysul » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:15 pm

Mine was a just a picture window meant for a regular 2x4 wall that someone was replacing with a slider cost me like 20-30 bucks was all. They are recessed so you must put plexi on top to prevent water collection. Mine also still had the construction flange on it which mad install a breeze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaysul
Teardrop Inspector

Postby beachguy005 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:30 am

I guess if you're going to consider all options I'll add this to the conversation. Maybe you should spend the extra money and get a fixed roof skylight with a flange. Low E laminated glass with a hail warranty.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VELUX-22-1- ... /202844231
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:03 am

beachguy005 wrote:I guess if you're going to consider all options I'll add this to the conversation. Maybe you should spend the extra money and get a fixed roof skylight with a flange. Low E laminated glass with a hail warranty.

You could probably still get this to work, but Velux says there is a minimum 3:12 roof pitch required for this skylight.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:57 am

aggie79 wrote:
beachguy005 wrote:I guess if you're going to consider all options I'll add this to the conversation. Maybe you should spend the extra money and get a fixed roof skylight with a flange. Low E laminated glass with a hail warranty.

You could probably still get this to work, but Velux says there is a minimum 3:12 roof pitch required for this skylight.

I know the typical metal roof is rated to 3:12 and no lower because hydrostatic pressure from sitting snow/ice and wind pressure can drive water through the panel joints. Anything lower than 3:12 and you're into "flat roof" territory, and that's a new ball game. It's possible that the Velux skylight has a 3:12 rating because that's the intended installation system (e.g. metal roof, shingles) rather than an intrinsic limit of the product itself ....

Hmmm ... I've changed my mind. It looks like a flat roof installation might not allow water to properly drain over the perimeter seals. So ... scratch what I said!
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby beachguy005 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:49 am

I don't think the flat roof is really an issue on a trailer as it's not on a fixed pitch, nor is there an issue with snow. I can understand those requirements on a building roof, but how often are you actually level when parked? Also with a trailer you can always pitch a few degrees if rain run off becomes an issue. You can't with your house.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:45 pm

beachguy005 wrote:I don't think the flat roof is really an issue on a trailer as it's not on a fixed pitch, nor is there an issue with snow. I can understand those requirements on a building roof, but how often are you actually level when parked? Also with a trailer you can always pitch a few degrees if rain run off becomes an issue. You can't with your house.

True ... but a "flat" teardrop roof can become slightly bowed with age, causing puddling around skylights and fans. If I was installing a residential skylight on a teardrop roof outside of its intended purpose, I'd triple-seal the joint for just that reason - plus, when driving through the rain at 70 mph, you're sending tropical storm-strength rain into your skylight seal.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby fishboat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 pm

This thread came to mind "in light of" (so to speak) another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71241
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Previous