6x12 or 6x14?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6x12 or 6x14?

Postby hankaye » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:07 am

JokerOne, Howdy;

JokerOne wrote:
hankaye wrote:JokerOne, Howdy;

First off, WELCOME!!!

I pull a 6 X 14 into the Gila Wilderness on the FS roads, I use a 2004 F-250 SD 4X4.
so far no problems. Here's a link to my build pages, should show what I've dealt with.
SHould bring ya to pg. 6.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=53787&start=75

hank

thanks!

That Gila National Forest looks great. Looks like the rangers do a great job keeping the roads graded, and warning signs posted.
Only national Forest roads if been on is in Missouri. My GPS keep trying to get me killed.. :lol:
Those roads look way better than I what I'm use to. I'm sure their much worse out there though.

Call me a wuss, but I look at it like this. If I have to use 4WD, I've done something wrong. (Like listen to my GPS.. :D )

Never used the 4WD while I was in there, All those nicely graded roads went by the wayside after the sign showing the length
restriction ... wasn't the worst I've been on but far from the best...

hank
Last edited by hankaye on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Mark959 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Trailer size entirely depends on your usage scenarios - if its just you, you could go as small as tiny teardrop. I love my 6x10, but another foot wider and I wouldn't have to sleep length-wise, could have used the extra room to fit more in like an internal bathroom perhaps. Or a sleeper sofa in full size, I was lucky to find this armless sofa at Ikea that folds out into a full, but any conventional sofa is too wide (unless you frame it into the walls maybe) 7x12 or so, maybe 7x14 would be ideal if you want a "cabin on wheels" in my opinion - a 6x10 you'll need an outhouse, which I guess is more cabin'ey :lol:

If you can sleep on a cot/twin bed or smaller, you could go narrower than a 6x and reduce drag on your tow vehicle.

In my case I needed it to sleep two, and have it be as open as possible with a kitchenette. A 6x10 worked great, except any bathroom activity has to be done outdoors.
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:59 pm

onehoser wrote:as mentioned above, i had to replace the A frame jack with a side mounted swing/removable jack as i had crushed the A frame jack on a couple of occasions on rough roads heading into campsites. it also allows me more room to open the tailgate on my jeep. i'll try and post a pic later, for some reason this site keeps telling my picture is invalid

This is something that all trailers should have stock. Even on asphalt pinch points can rip a hole and bend a frame. Not sure why they all use fixed tongue jacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby fourbtgait » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:59 pm

I pull a 6x12 with a 4runner on NF roads in Eastern Washington and Idaho. A 12’trailer trackers pretty much behind the 4runner, a 14’ though nicer to have would cut corners more. Worst aspect is that either length trailer being 6’wide, the tires/fenders are at 8’. Would rather they were inside the trailer at 6’ width, pretty much match the 4runner track then.
As for jacks, I had a double wheel pivot on the trailer, put back the A frame one. Havent had any issues even crossing ditches to get into camp spots.
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Postby Andrew Herrick » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:18 pm

fourbtgait wrote:I pull a 6x12 with a 4runner on NF roads in Eastern Washington and Idaho. A 12’trailer trackers pretty much behind the 4runner, a 14’ though nicer to have would cut corners more. Worst aspect is that either length trailer being 6’wide, the tires/fenders are at 8’. Would rather they were inside the trailer at 6’ width, pretty much match the 4runner track then.
As for jacks, I had a double wheel pivot on the trailer, put back the A frame one. Havent had any issues even crossing ditches to get into camp spots.

A brief tangent here: So far, I can't stand double-wheel jacks! I used a Fulton F2 all-aluminum trailer jack with double pivoting wheels, and I couldn't get that thing to turn in mud or gravel for nothing. What did you use? And did you prefer it over a single-wheel jack?
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby JokerOne » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:16 pm

onehoser wrote:as mentioned above, i had to replace the A frame jack with a side mounted swing/removable jack as i had crushed the A frame jack on a couple of occasions on rough roads heading into campsites. it also allows me more room to open the tailgate on my jeep. i'll try and post a pic later, for some reason this site keeps telling my picture is invalid

I believe I want one of those. thanks.
JokerOne
Teardrop Builder

Postby fourbtgait » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:20 pm

Andrew Herrick wrote:
A brief tangent here: So far, I can't stand double-wheel jacks! I used a Fulton F2 all-aluminum trailer jack with double pivoting wheels, and I couldn't get that thing to turn in mud or gravel for nothing. What did you use? And did you prefer it over a single-wheel jack?

I found that a single or double wheel either way works best on concrete when the total trailer weight gets to a certain point. My CT set up to camp weighs about 2,800. If a campsite has any slope, soft soil, etc, no sense trying to hand push it.
The previous trailer only weighed 1,500, so yes, could hand move it some.

If I worry that the jack may bottom out, I can change from the 6” drop hitch to 0, but then the ass end may drag. I could install a straight axel, gain 4”, but typical areas up here no need to. If so, then one shouldnt be using a cargo trailer in my mind.

There is no answer. I’m not tight and I’m not wrong. Like what’s the best tires?
fourbtgait
Teardrop Master

Postby JokerOne » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:04 am

fourbtgait wrote:I pull a 6x12 with a 4runner on NF roads in Eastern Washington and Idaho. A 12’trailer trackers pretty much behind the 4runner, a 14’ though nicer to have would cut corners more. Worst aspect is that either length trailer being 6’wide, the tires/fenders are at 8’. Would rather they were inside the trailer at 6’ width, pretty much match the 4runner track then.

thanks. I'm back to thinking a 6x12 is about as big a trailer as I care to tow. I'm having independent torsion axles put on it so it should have good ground clearance (as much as a straight axle, ~24") which is more than my unlifted Jeep JKU.
JokerOne
Teardrop Builder

Postby JokerOne » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:25 pm

JokerOne wrote:

thanks. I'm back to thinking a 6x12 is about as big a trailer as I care to tow. I'm having independent torsion axles put on it so it should have good ground clearance (as much as a straight axle, ~24") which is more than my unlifted Jeep JKU.

so now I'm back to thinking a 6x14 tandem is the route I want to take. probably have to get a different tow vehicle, and the torsion suspension idea is also out too.
JokerOne
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tas » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:51 pm

why would you not want a torsion axel? I used to have a spring utility trailer and even with it loaded that thing would bounce around. I’ve only towed my new enclosed empty with a torsion axle and it is so much better than the utility.
Tas
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions