Opinions on Carson cargo trailers?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Opinions on Carson cargo trailers?

Postby rebar » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Hey everyone.. Does anyone know about or have opinions about Carson trailer build methods and quality?
First search impressions are that they make a good dump trailer, but not so much the others and bad customer service.
Anyway, its the 7' narrow track I'm looking for, 5000 lb leaf spring axles, reinforced ramp door 6'6" ceiling. Strange tube stud layout though..

https://madison.craigslist.org/tro/d/carson-enclosed-trailer-6x18/6767143402.html

Thanks
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Re: Opinions on Carson cargo trailers?

Postby McDave » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:13 am

Hey Rebar,
I am not familiar with the Carson brand, but my first impression is that trailer is well built. The framing looks substantial and with 2 5000# axles should be capable for any load in the CTC or toy hauler realm. 6'6" height is plenty for most average sized American men @ 6' - 200lbs. For my purpose as a Harley hauler it would really open up possibilities for a cabin separate from the garage. Harley requires about 8', leaving 6' x 10' for a cabin. I could do a lot with that kind of space. $5500 is not cheap but probably a bargain for that size trailer. Very interesting find.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby rebar » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:09 pm

Thanks McDave.

Yes the trailer would work even though I want 16' round roof, but the owner is sort of flaky contradicting himself, and then the high price. Or maybe he's just elderly, but he hasn't convince me to drive 3hrs to look at it yet.
I'm also distracted this weekend. My water service is leaking bad and needs dug up out on "the farm".. There's always something that distracts me after I find a narrow track, but will see.

Whats with the weird stud spacing in one of the pictures?
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby beachguy005 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:15 am

I think this is the trailer you're looking at. In the Standard Features it says it has a walk on roof. I'm guessing that might be the reason for the framing it has. That, and it appears to have a Smooth Aluminum Skin, which is listed as an option so they may add ribs for taping the skin. All in all looks like a pretty nice trailer.

https://www.carsontrailer.com/subs/trai ... losed.html
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:38 pm

rebar, Howdy;

Another for the excess framing is the lack of interior walls. Generally CTs
have plywood interior walls to help provide for stability and to prevent
the walls from 'racking' (leaning back-n-forth for sides and side to side for
the ends. There's a question for the owner, did it originally have interior
walls???

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bignick » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:57 pm

that trailer looks well built. odd that there is no interior plywood on. Diamond Cargo will not let a trailer leave without the plywood on. (it stiffens the structure) I try to get them to leave as much stuff off as I can when I order them. Also, the wiring looks better than what comes on mine. Looks like they use wire loom. The price doesnt seem bad either. Nice find.

nick
bignick
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions