Track Day Special 7x14' build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Track Day Special 7x14' build

Postby Bowtie76 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:27 pm

Hello,

I've been lurking for a while trying to absorb as much info as I can. Now I'm ready to start my build and thought I would share it here, and use this thread to pick your brains for help.

Background, I have a couple of bikes, I like to ride at the track and also a fare amount of offroad riding. I want to build the trailer so I can take my bikes and have a comfortable place to stay at night. My boys 6 and 8 are also starting to ride so I want to be able to pack and and take the family camping/riding in comfort.

So I purchases a Leonard 7x14 v-nose trailer (built by Arising) all square tubing, 16" on floor and walls, 24ish on celing.

Here is the other side, Only issue I have is for some reason they stuck the door right up at the V-nose, so not much room for the awning I'm planning on installing.

Done some work but wanted to get a post up to make me start working and making updates.

Shawn R
Bowtie76
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Track Day Special 7x14' build

Postby Bowtie76 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:56 pm

I've started doing a little work on the trailer to get an idea of what I like and what I don't.

First step was to get some insulation installed and install an inlet for my 30amp service I plan on having. I also plan on installing a battery system. I want everything internal to be 12V with a couple of 120V inside and two outside to run tire warmers, fans ets.

You can see my cuts on the insulation are pretty crooked, I tried box cutters, drywall saw, and electric carving knife, nothing works well. But It's a start.

Progress So far.

30A inlet was installed through lower wood section, the upper was to support the external vent

Bowtie76
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bowtie76 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:04 pm

I also built a "queen size bed" using vertical E-track, I can drop it down to a low sleeping level, move it up so I can sleep over the bikes with them packed. Or I can move it all the way up to the roof and "Almost" have enough space under it to walk without bumping my head (6'5" tall).

It has worked well enough so far but pulling the ply and mattress off every time I set the bed up is getting old so...

I bought a pully/crank system for roof storage, I plan to install this soon so I can lift and lower the bed as a whole unit. The lift will only be for moving the bed up or down, when stored or in use I will have it supported in the etrack.

Any ideas on how to mount the cable to the roof tubing? I don't think a screw will be strong enough but I also don't want to have to go through the outer skin in order to get a nut on the back for more support.

Open to thoughts/ideas.

Have to love the flower sheets

Finally the bed stowed in the raised position, you can hardly see it up there. I don't hit my head in this position but if I keep the mattress (right) on the bed when stowed I have to drop it one slot and that is when I hit my head.

My trusty helper photobombing.
Bowtie76
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:08 pm

Hey Bowtie76,
Welcome. Glad you are here. That looks like a pretty darn nice Cargo Trailer, and a very useful size 7 x14 x 7. I am right at 6' tall, but so is my trailer. 6 x 12 x 6. Another 1' or even 6" would be very nice, but it is what it is... for now. I also built mine as Toy Hauler/ Camper, and I have a couple bikes as well. I go to the rallies at Sturgis and the Iron Horse bike rally and Rodeo and we do poker runs and try to do charity, for the children and vets. Finding a hotel room during the rally is impossible, even a year in advance. Plus, the winters are very long here so you have to get in all you can when the weather is nice. So the camper has been a perfect solution for me. I know you will love yours as well.
Ok then, let's talk about you. Having a sport or hobby that you can enjoy with kids is priceless. Time goes by really fast so enjoy them all you can. It won't be long before they won't have time for you. That looks like a pretty good helper you got there.
Cutting sheet insulation. Lots of ways to skin that cat but you really will need to set up a rip fence to get consistent, straight, relatively precise cuts. You can use a table saw or even a circular saw, just turn the blade around to the wrong position and it wont throw all the shavings. Also the oscillating multi tools work well, and even a sabre or jig saw. I have seen people cut foam with a hot wire set up and razor knifes work also. Just score the line on one side and bend to snap it then cut through the other side like drywall. Hopefully, you will have a majority of the wall insulation that is the same size, like 15in wide x 7ft and you can just knock out a pile of those in a hurry. If you have some gaps just fill them with canned spray foam. Try to get a couple of inches of insulation in the ceiling and a couple inches under the floor. It will make a big difference in comfort and your ability to heat / cool the trailer and helps with noise as well.
All kinds of different ways to deal with the bed as well. You might want to consider a metal frame to save the height and keep the mattress in place when lifted. Then you can use 1 1/2" or 2" tube instead of 2x4 lumber. I'm not sure what your lift system is like, but I would try to anchor into the wall studs at the top as opposed to the roof spars. You can use "Rivnuts" and just drill into one side of the stud tubing. They insert into a predrilled hole and then mushroom out when you tighten them down. Then you can use bolts or eyebolts or whatever you need to attach the cables. Here is a link to an example of rivnuts or nutserts. I also used them to mount my awning to the wall studs. They are pretty awesome and very strong.
https://img.fastenal.com/catalog_pages/2013/01-300.pdf

Ok. That's all the damage I can do for one day.
Good luck and keep us posted.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Bowtie76 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:32 pm

McDave,

Thank you for the welcome. I've been reading a lot here and I'm looking forward to doing the build and then enjoying it with the boys.

The rip fence skillsaw just might work. I'll give it a try. I got a 13' awning for christmas so i'll need to get one side insulated and put back together so I can install the awning.

Fair working I'm slow but methodical.

Shawn
Bowtie76
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rainier70 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:27 pm

You could screw a good piece of angle across several several of the roof bows to spread the weight/pull out.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby phoenixbound » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:02 am

Wow, I have not even heard of Rivnuts. Did some Amazon "research" and I am impressed. Adding this to my Wish list. Another good tip from the forum.

McDave wrote:Hey Bowtie76,
Welcome. Glad you are here. That looks like a pretty darn nice Cargo Trailer, and a very useful size 7 x14 x 7. I am right at 6' tall, but so is my trailer. 6 x 12 x 6. Another 1' or even 6" would be very nice, but it is what it is... for now. I also built mine as Toy Hauler/ Camper, and I have a couple bikes as well. I go to the rallies at Sturgis and the Iron Horse bike rally and Rodeo and we do poker runs and try to do charity, for the children and vets. Finding a hotel room during the rally is impossible, even a year in advance. Plus, the winters are very long here so you have to get in all you can when the weather is nice. So the camper has been a perfect solution for me. I know you will love yours as well.
Ok then, let's talk about you. Having a sport or hobby that you can enjoy with kids is priceless. Time goes by really fast so enjoy them all you can. It won't be long before they won't have time for you. That looks like a pretty good helper you got there.
Cutting sheet insulation. Lots of ways to skin that cat but you really will need to set up a rip fence to get consistent, straight, relatively precise cuts. You can use a table saw or even a circular saw, just turn the blade around to the wrong position and it wont throw all the shavings. Also the oscillating multi tools work well, and even a sabre or jig saw. I have seen people cut foam with a hot wire set up and razor knifes work also. Just score the line on one side and bend to snap it then cut through the other side like drywall. Hopefully, you will have a majority of the wall insulation that is the same size, like 15in wide x 7ft and you can just knock out a pile of those in a hurry. If you have some gaps just fill them with canned spray foam. Try to get a couple of inches of insulation in the ceiling and a couple inches under the floor. It will make a big difference in comfort and your ability to heat / cool the trailer and helps with noise as well.
All kinds of different ways to deal with the bed as well. You might want to consider a metal frame to save the height and keep the mattress in place when lifted. Then you can use 1 1/2" or 2" tube instead of 2x4 lumber. I'm not sure what your lift system is like, but I would try to anchor into the wall studs at the top as opposed to the roof spars. You can use "Rivnuts" and just drill into one side of the stud tubing. They insert into a predrilled hole and then mushroom out when you tighten them down. Then you can use bolts or eyebolts or whatever you need to attach the cables. Here is a link to an example of rivnuts or nutserts. I also used them to mount my awning to the wall studs. They are pretty awesome and very strong.
https://img.fastenal.com/catalog_pages/2013/01-300.pdf

Ok. That's all the damage I can do for one day.
Good luck and keep us posted.

McDave
Smart enough to know that I still have a lot to learn.

Build diary at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69652
phoenixbound
Teardrop Master

Postby cg_ops » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:52 am

Bowtie76 wrote:Image

I spy an R6 (or R6S)! My man! I'm looking forward to your build! Mine Look Vision 8.5x24x7.5 should finally arrive this weekend. Can't wait to get started on upgrades with this forum's inspiration!

Here's the pack of bums waiting for their new home. WR250, 701, R3, R6, Gixxer 750

Side note, how do you like the Predator gen?
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Postby domoarigato » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:27 pm

Hey there Shawn,

I must have missed your post as I just saw it now. As said before, if you need any help with window holes, weld/fab or anything let me know. I just finished some more cabinets in mine for extra storage and microwave, and now getting ready to fab up a propane/battery rack for the tongue and a spare tire mount for the back (will update my thread when more complete.. before the winter is over), if you eventually need something similar, we can do it.

Regarding your awning, it looks like you have a good amount of space to mount it above the door, not sure if the arms of a traditional awning will interfere with the door, but you could always go with a fancy awning that doesn't have arms. The top bolts through your top roof channel that runs the length of the camper.

home-motorhome.jpg
home-motorhome.jpg (50.95 KiB) Viewed 2502 times

On a side note, I have a pretty fun little single track circuit carved through my woods at the house and my connecting neighbors have ATV trails throughout theirs as well. We're a little ways away from you, but if you were to come out, my son just turned 10 and has a lil 50cc 2-stroke.. bring your son and the bikes!

Mike D
domoarigato
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions