Kodiak Solar Generator

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Kodiak Solar Generator

Postby jwhite » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:15 pm

I plan to buy one of these after the new year, I have been wanting to add solar but just haven't got around to doing it until now, I have watched many youtube videos and this one seams to be the best.
https://inergytek.com/products/kodiak you can buy them for less from several other vendors I was surprised that amazon does not sell this one but many others.?

I was also wondering about using the thin flexible panels instead of the solid panels ? they are a little cheaper and lighter which is great for putting them out as I need them but not sure about which is better to attach to the roof of if I want to attach them to the roof.

anyone have any thoughts
jwhite
The 300 Club

Re: Kodiak Solar Generator

Postby John61CT » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:20 pm

Please do not support the fraudulent marketeer use of "generator" for a portable battery powerpak.

good quality unit, but whole market segment scammy

Crazy super expensive for the AH capacity if you can even figure out what that is compared to 12V, best to use wH and kwH instead.

No replacement batteries available? Crazy stoopid.

Much better value to just buy what your use case requires and install in a pelican style case from HF. Battery pack can be kept separate, gives lots more flexibility.

I made this thread into a "hub" on vandweller forum, links to many related discussions including on this specific unit https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/sh ... ?tid=23546

Another https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/sh ... ?tid=26527
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:23 pm

Semi flex panels don't last long even if precisely properly installed, at best average 2-3 years.

And more expensive per watt.

Light weight, cheaper to ship is the main advantage.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:31 pm

90 amps for nearly 2G? Holy smoly!

I was also wondering about using the thin flexible panels instead of the solid panels ?

A lot of the cheap flexible panels are notorious for short-life spans.

At this point, I'm planning on a Sunpower 100w flexible on my coming build and will keep my fingers crossed. They're about $225. But I may go with Plan B which would be a glass panel.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:06 pm

I don't get the "solar" part. The unit contains neither solar panel nor solar panel charge controller.

And as someone else mentioned, way too expensive for the amount of energy actually stored.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:18 pm

jwhite, Howdy;

One of my ex-wives always used to say " I wouldn't touch that with a 10' vaccinated crow-bar! "

I'd apply that to this ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:08 pm

While that is some attractive packaging and marketing I'm not sure about the real utility of the unit. It almost seems like something that would give you peace of mind, until you really needed it to work. But let's say it does what it says it will do. For an apartment dweller or tail gater or similar type use this could do all you need occasionally. But I don't see how it can really compete with a purpose designed system dollar for dollar. I admit that I am not as learned as I should be, especially when it comes to Lithium Ion. So I could be wrong, but generally speaking the more convenient the package seems, the less able it actually is. Much like the 10 in 1 multi tools, it may do a lot of things but none really well. Again, not my area of expertise so just gut feeling mostly.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby GTS225 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:04 pm

Ummm, yeah. You can get a 5000 continuous watt inverter for $400 from HF. I haven't priced deep cycle batts, but let's roughly guess at $200 each. If one assumes two batteries, that's more power available already than the fancy package above, and there's still $1200 left over for solar panels and a charge controller.

I think, if I were the OP, I'd do a bit more research.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:12 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:I don't get the "solar" part. The unit contains neither solar panel nor solar panel charge controller.

And as someone else mentioned, way too expensive for the amount of energy actually stored.

<Chas>
They sell "special" branded panels, and a rough SC is built in.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jwhite » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:50 pm

I would like to thank everyone for your replies for now I decided because I am just starting out and I have a 1100 watt inverter and 2 deep cycle batteries on my trailer I just bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4NH9ES/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think this will get me started

but I would like to eventually get something large enough to use on my house,
I found these today on craigs list and wonder if anyone wants to give me opinions on them or something better ? I kind of want idiot proof battery not something I am going to ruin?
I am headed to FL in about a month and this place is on my way if they are OK batteries, they look to me about half the cost of what you can buy on amazon ?
https://lakecity.craigslist.org/for/d/belleview-12-volt-agm-solar-battery-150/6776666915.html
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:23 pm

Do not buy batteries online.

The best battery value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, around $200 per 200+AH @12V pair from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club. Deka labeled same batts also sold at Lowes.

Otherwise there are only a handful of acceptable makers in the NA market, you call them and they tell you a dealer near you, not sold in consumer channels.

AGM is harder to care for, more expensive and don't last as long as FLA.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jwhite » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks for that reply I would have thought differently about agm's
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:13 pm

Wow! That guy has a bunch o' batteries! I didn't notice if he stated they were new or used, but the price compared to retail would suggest used. Not necessarily used up... I know that in certain applications batteries are replaced annually regardless of actual usage. they may have just been on a float charge their entire lives and never actually used. Here is the same battery at retail.
https://www.batterystore.com/all-brands ... 05w-119ah/

At almost 400.00 discount I might be tempted to pick up a few and chance it... :thinking:

McDave

PS I do see the date there of 09 2014 so that is a clue as to the condition.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:40 pm

McD, Howdy;

Hope you and your wife had a very Merry Christmas

100 lbs, each, 20 to a pallet ... :thinking: made in Old Mexico, shipping from Florida :thinking:
shipping with the "Extra" charge for Hazmat ... :thinking: :roll:

Sorry, not for me,

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions