Diesel Heaters

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Diesel Heaters

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:01 pm

Below is a link to a youtube video where a guy does a most excellent job of comparing an Espar diesel heater to a Chinese knock off diesel heater. He disassembled both units and pointed out why the Chinese is of lower quality and thus cheaper (mostly because of the lower quality electronics). The label on Chinese unit says "gasoline" as the fuel type, but the unit will only run using diesel fuel. :(

I am still debating about whether to purchase one of these Chinese units vs. the more expensive Russian unit manufactured by Planer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cIWUD-OM4A
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Diesel Heaters

Postby John61CT » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:19 pm

The other forums have great reports on the cheap Chinese units.

Apparently carrying Planar / Espar spare parts is the key to longevity.

But you do need to become your own service expert, no hand holding as with Webasto / Espar service centers.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:30 pm

From what I have seen, the cost for parts and/or to have Espar or Webasto do any service work is way beyond anything I would be willing to pay. It would appear that there are dozens and dozens of different kinds of Chinese units being sold ... with varying degrees of quality and reputability ... even from the same web sellers. Today, I spent time on the facebook site for Chinese heaters and there are a significant number of buyers who have units that do not work properly and/or have failed prematurely. Nevertheless, I am still thinking about taking the risk of buying a Chinese unit.

I will probably wait for Astroliner to report back about the one he just purchased.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:33 pm

Then is no gasoline Chinese heater. mislabeled as gas and as 2 KW. He got a diesel 5KW. Don't try to order a gas one. But they run very good on Kerosene. Kerosene will also burn cleaner. The Chinese is lower quality but is like a third of the price. How many hour are you going to put on the heater in a camper anyway? The 2KW is the perfect size for a teardrop,but harder to find. The 5KW is easier to find and lower in cost. A lot of 5KW are sold as 2KW. The 5KW are bigger in size. here is a ebay seller of a 5KW 12V (make sure to order 12 volt not 24 volt) with a simple control(no remote) for only $120 or $100. https://www.ebay.com/itm/5000W-12V-Air- ... 1-KjRq0Rc4 orhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/5KW-12V-Air- ... rk:17:pf:0 for that price a person can replace is if it fails.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:40 pm

If I get one, I will get one with the LCD control so that the temperature can be controlled thermostatically, not just on off, and so that the error codes can easily be read. I think the LCD controlled ones also have some programming flexibility, a feature that the manual knob kinds do not appear to have ... although I might be wrong. Does anybody know for sure?
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:52 pm

I have the Knob type. it controls the power(how hot of burn) of the heater. Not a thermostat. If you mount the controller with in reach you can just turn it up or down as the need arises. I really like mine. :thumbsup: Low cost and SAFE. Full vented heaters (excluding these) are high priced units.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:54 pm

KennethW wrote:Then is no gasoline Chinese heater. mislabeled as gas and as 2 KW.
There are lots, of all types.

Even saw a gasoline one for hydronics.

But not well marketed, yet.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kirkupnorth » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:51 pm

We're very happy with our Chinese diesel heater. It's quiet, clean, and VERY fuel efficient. It takes up very little space, and was reasonably priced. It came with absolutely everything we needed for installation.

Our CTC is a 6x12 V-nose, and this little heater keeps it plenty warm and cozy. We were traveling in late December, and the heater performed great in 10 degree weather. I think it got into single digits later that night, but couldn't swear to it. We were toasty and happy!
kirkupnorth
Teardrop Master

Postby Mad Cow » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:44 pm

I am leary of the Chinese knock off stuff. I have used Webasto heaters for many years in various applications. For a cargo conversion I am considering, I am looking closely at the Webasto's Dual Top Evo 6 combo unit that both is a air heater and water heater combo.
Mad Cow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KennethW » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:53 am

KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:15 pm

For my insulated trailer in freezing temperatures, with a 5k unit cycling on and off every 20 minutes or so, I would guess that I would draw on average about 15 amps per night and use 2 quarts of fuel per night … I am just guessing running numbers in my head.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chasein70 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:15 am

I've had Espar units for over 13 years. Can't count the number that I've gone through. At $1,000 a pop you can buy 6 Chinese ones and just toss the old one. They are so cheap I would recommend buying at least 2. Instead of mounting to the floor flush I would suggest making a small platform so you can replace from inside instead of disconnecting the 3 lines from underneath your truck/van/trailer.

The number one problem you will have with any of these heaters is carbon buildup in the combustion chamber leading to glow plug foul also. The glow plug is very hard to change. Needs a special tool and very steady hand. Getting an Espar rebuilt costs around $500 to $650.

Trucking companies almost all use an Espar and a TriPac APU. They run the Espar on kerosene and not diesel. It's much cleaner and hotter burn so they don't carbon as much. I would recommend you do the same. If not then go to Walmart lamp section once a month and buy a bottle of lamp oil. It's kerosene. Buy another section of fuel line, disconnect current fuel line then run the other into the bottle. Run unit on high and it will clean out your heater. If it's been a while, do it at night and watch the carbon sparks come flying out.

Both the Espar and Chinese units do NOT like to start and stop. That's where the carbon builds up. Doesn't take long for the unit to start spitting out smoke every time it turns on then nothing

So, if you're going to buy an Espar for $1,000 I would suggest buying 6 Chinese instead. You can probably make a deal with someone on Ebay or Amazon and get 10 units for the same price. One with all the accessories and 9 just the heads.

The Espar doesn't work well at all above 5,000'. Gets worse as the unit gets older. Espar sells a high altitude pump which pumps less fuel and lowers the BTU. Some Chinese units allow you to set the fuel flow which is SMART!! Then you can adjust with a pump change for the altitude. Mine would not work at all at 7,000 and just give up. Once again, every time it gives up you've built up a ton of crap in the combustion chamber

The Chinese units are still sort of new. Everyone and their brother is buying them and creating videos. It will be interesting to see how they hold up over time.
Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Postby John61CT » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:51 am

Mad Cow wrote:I am leary of the Chinese knock off stuff. I have used Webasto heaters for many years in various applications. For a cargo conversion I am considering, I am looking closely at the Webasto's Dual Top Evo 6 combo unit that both is a air heater and water heater combo.

Better quality but only good value for those who hate DIY maintenance.

As for "Leary", one of my heroes

John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kawierider » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:18 am

I love the conversation on these heaters.

I wish I could find a diesel or kerosene stove and hot water heater also!

One major question on my
Mind before I pull the trigger on one: is combustion pretty complete, or will these fill the campsite with diesel smell? What are your experiences? I

I’ll likely be ordering in a week or two, and plan to run kerosene, so, if there is a difference between diesel and kero in this respect I’d like to hear them.
kawierider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chasein70 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:44 am

They blow a CRAP LOAD of smelly smoke starting up and shutting down. They smell a little while running. The older they get the more they smoke. When they start to have problems starting they put out enough smoke to close down a highway. This is all from experience using them for over 15 or 20 years.
Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions