Fold down counter top

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Fold down counter top

Postby atcNick » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:43 pm

I’m looking at building a fold down counter top in my trailer. I’m trying to look for mounting ideas. I would prefer to buy a premade countertop and folding brackets like pictures. But the wood of the countertop looks like mdf. I need a good way to mount the brackets where the screws don’t go all the way through, but yet strong enough to hold the countertop in the folded down position and withstand travel. Suggestions are appreciated

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Nick
atcNick
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Fold down counter top

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:20 am

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but maybe it will jog some ideas. Anyhow this is how I did mine.
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6 ... 5#p1222692
That Amazon folding bracket looks like a pretty sweet deal.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby redbicycle » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:53 am

You could use the brackets you selected and the counter top you picked by adding some wood. Epoxy a 1/4 piece of plywood to the bottom of the particle board. Next still the holes into the plywood and countertop for the bracket mount but drill a few sizes larger but not through the top. Fill the hole with a mix of epoxy and sawdust. The screws will grab onto that solid.

redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby beachguy005 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:55 am

If you're going to use that shelf and bracket I'd just glue and screw some 1x pine cleats to the underside and mount the brackets to them. It will give you 1.5" to screw into and the front lip would cover it.
As an aside...I've read that some complain that those brackets don't fold plumb to the wall because of the release tab. I used the Knape & Vogt 12 in. Heavy-Duty from HD which do.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby redbicycle » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:59 am

Do you think just using cleats would lead to sag of the counter top over time?

redbicycle
Teardrop Advisor

Postby atcNick » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:50 pm

Got er done. It works better than expected.

-Nick
atcNick
Teardrop Advisor

Postby troubleScottie » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:22 pm

The particle board will sag over time -- unless you re-enforce the top. Running the wood strips the length of the counter should work.

Sealing the underside might also help stabilize the top by reducing moisture uptake.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:42 pm

Mine came pre warped. But free.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby beachguy005 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:47 pm

I'd have a concern given how far the table is cantilevered beyond the brackets. Any amount of weight, or someone inadvertently leaning on it, is libel to bring it crashing down. Particle board doesn't have much screw holding strength. Maybe add a couple fold down legs for support when it's up.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby atcNick » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:16 am

The underside picture wasn’t the finished product... I actually put 1/4” plywood boards between the underside and the brackets... glued and screwed those boards to the mdf and used longer screws to screw the brackets through the plywood and into the mdf

-Nick
atcNick
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:49 pm

I like the idea of that counter top. Do you have any concerns with the leverage collapsing the brackets? Just eyeballing it, looks like the table top will have the mechanical advantage especially if someone or something heavy is put out on the edge. Maybe not though?

Just a thought and something to ensure no accident.. Cut two removable poles/legs for either end that can stow away. The brackets will take the daily use, but legs for insurance/robustness.

I am thinking 1.5 inch thick wall PVC would do. Then screw a PVC cap into bottom of table to hold the pole in place when down. Take the poles out when table is up?

Edit.. just saw Beachguy said same thing. We think alike in this case

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby atcNick » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:04 pm

The 1/4” plywood is glued and screws to the bottom of the table top. I like the idea of the extended legs

-Nick
atcNick
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FlyBye » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:46 am

atcNick
I saw your bracket post several days ago and felt like it would meet our needs for our kitchen table support. I went ahead and ordered me a pair and am looking forward to putting them to the test. I don't think I'll need the 550 lbs rating for our Chili-Cheese Dogs or the early morning tomato gravy and biscuits, but you never know! :)
I did get the long release instead of the short version like you got. The angle of the release wasn't quite as sharp as the short version and I didn't want to bump my knee(s) on the rascal. Thanks again for posting the brackets... you sold me!
FlyBye's 7x16 Cargo Camper Build
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69287
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby atcNick » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:02 am

FlyBye wrote:atcNick
I saw your bracket post several days ago and felt like it would meet our needs for our kitchen table support. I went ahead and ordered me a pair and am looking forward to putting them to the test. I don't think I'll need the 550 lbs rating for our Chili-Cheese Dogs or the early morning tomato gravy and biscuits, but you never know! :)
I did get the long release instead of the short version like you got. The angle of the release wasn't quite as sharp as the short version and I didn't want to bump my knee(s) on the rascal. Thanks again for posting the brackets... you sold me!

Can you post the link of the ones you got. I couldn’t find any like you described

-Nick
atcNick
Teardrop Advisor

Postby FlyBye » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:01 am

atcNick wrote:Can you post the link of the ones you got. I couldn’t find any like you described

I ordered two of them.
https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-made-Rel ... B00LGBZC4G
Attachments
Whoop, dare it is!.png
Whoop, dare it is!.png (61.46 KiB) Viewed 3964 times
FlyBye's 7x16 Cargo Camper Build
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69287
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions