Ventalation for air tight cargo trailer/camper

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Ventalation for air tight cargo trailer/camper

Postby Chasein70 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:00 am

I've finished my cargo/trailer/camper build. I've noticed when I turn on my Maxxair fan it struggles due to lack of outside air. If I crack a window it makes a HUGE difference. I haven't hit the road yet but I'm assuming if I'm in Quartzsite with a window open the whole place will fill with dust. Any ideas on a filtered outside air intake?
Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Re: Ventalation for air tight cargo trailer/camper

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:36 am

As a quick solution until you come up with something better, a furnace filter over the opened window. Elastic bungee will hold the filter and allow it to be removed.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby greygoos » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:04 am

something as simple as this will help. About 10 dollars or so. You can go up from there as far as models and vents .
Attachments
trailervent.jpg
trailervent.jpg (159.68 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:08 pm

greygoos wrote:something as simple as this will help. About 10 dollars or so. You can go up from there as far as models and vents .

I put two of these in my cargo trailer one up high and one down low at opposite corners. When I travel on dirt roads I put duct tape over them to keep the dust out. I've never had dust come in when stopped. But as mentioned above a piece of hvac filter over would help of you're worried about it. I purchased mine on Amazon for $5.99 ea.

Exterior:

Interior:

dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby Chasein70 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:44 pm

Those vents would work but I'm concerned about the dust. Not sure if I'm making a big deal about it. My friend has his own semi truck with a roof fan. If he's in a dry area like Arizona and leaves the window cracked with the fan on the truck fills up with dust. I haven't been out at all since I finished my cargo trailer. Still trying to quit my job and retire. Thanks for the tips.
Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Postby onehoser » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:33 pm

Chasein70 wrote:Those vents would work but I'm concerned about the dust. Not sure if I'm making a big deal about it. My friend has his own semi truck with a roof fan. If he's in a dry area like Arizona and leaves the window cracked with the fan on the truck fills up with dust. I haven't been out at all since I finished my cargo trailer. Still trying to quit my job and retire. Thanks for the tips.

i have similar vents in my 5x8, i just cover them with masking tape when i'm on the road to keep the dust out
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Chasein70 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:43 pm

onehoser wrote:i have similar vents in my 5x8, i just cover them with masking tape when i'm on the road to keep the dust out

Driving they would be closed. I'm worried when I'm camping like in Quartzsite and the wind is blowing or other vehicles driving by kicking up the dust.
Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Postby cg_ops » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:54 am

You could always do a Salem Vent - open it when you want ventilation, close it when you don't

https://www.ot-trailers.com/product_det ... tem_id=338
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chasein70 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:32 pm

cg_ops wrote:You could always do a Salem Vent - open it when you want ventilation, close it when you don't

https://www.ot-trailers.com/product_det ... tem_id=338

Ooooo, that's a nice vent. I looked it up. It's $0.00 with free shipping!!
Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Postby cg_ops » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:21 pm

I see them on most new toyhaulers. I just linked the first listing that popped up. Dug a little deeper and found one... not exactly cheap but they're very good looking and high quality

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triton-09756-A ... ctupt=true
cg_ops
Teardrop Builder

Postby jaysul » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:56 pm

Put the same vent just in plastic and it has held up great. I think i paid 30$ on ebay or amazon. And yes a small piece of filter would work no problem

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaysul
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:27 am

Go to https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Enclosed_Trailer_Parts-sf-Vents.aspx to find Pop-up, or "Salem" vents in steel or aluminum, for $35-45.

I had considered getting those as my side vents, but opted for another type, that I had seen on semi-trailers, when I ran a receiving department. They never showed signs of leaking, so I got them instead.
my side vents from e-trailer.JPG
my side vents from e-trailer.JPG (74.94 KiB) Viewed 4267 times
I put screen material inside the butterfly opening, and modified one, used to cover my A/C exhaust ducting. They work great, no leaks.
Also, I put reversible computer case fans on hinges to be able to swing in front of each of the two main cabin vents, in order to pull air in, or to direct air out (keeps dust out!). They can run forever on 12vdc battery power, since they draw miniscule amperage.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Chasein70 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:54 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Things I've never seen or thought of doing.
Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chasein70 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:57 pm

working on it wrote:Go to https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Enclosed_Trailer_Parts-sf-Vents.aspx to find Pop-up, or "Salem" vents in steel or aluminum, for $35-45.

I had considered getting those as my side vents, but opted for another type, that I had seen on semi-trailers, when I ran a receiving department. They never showed signs of leaking, so I got them instead.
my side vents from e-trailer.JPG
I put screen material inside the butterfly opening, and modified one, used to cover my A/C exhaust ducting. They work great, no leaks.
Also, I put reversible computer case fans on hinges to be able to swing in front of each of the two main cabin vents, in order to pull air in, or to direct air out (keeps dust out!). They can run forever on 12vdc battery power, since they draw miniscule amperage.

Do you have a thread with pics of your trailer?
Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Postby WoodSmith » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:52 am

It's been forever since I have been on, but I still get "Top Discussions" emails.

I picked up a couple HEPA handheld vacuum filters from the clearance rack at Home Depot a few years ago with the intention of using them as intake filters for a trailer. A little ingenuity to get the filter mounted using the twist lock mechanism should allow easy replacement at any hardware store, and easy removal when not needed.

A quick Google search indicates that https://www.amazon.com/ZVac-Compatible-Replacement-Replaces-3-SFA115-00X/dp/B008GFP33A?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_5711721011 has them for a few bucks a piece.

I don't know that this is the best size for the job, but it may provide a rabbit hole that yields a solution.
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions