Ventalation for air tight cargo trailer/camper

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Ventalation for air tight cargo trailer/camper

Postby aggie79 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:55 am

cg_ops wrote:I see them on most new toyhaulers. I just linked the first listing that popped up. Dug a little deeper and found one... not exactly cheap but they're very good looking and high quality

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triton-09756-A ... ctupt=true

I believe you can get the same vent from Mill Supply for $27.30: https://www.millsupply.com/hingeless-aluminum-2-way-vent-t23170al.php?p=102217. Mill Supply sells step van parts at very reasonable prices. Many of the parts they carry for step vans - vents, latches, windows, weatherstripping, etc.- are handy for CT conversions, teardrop trailer builds, etc.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:58 am

Chasein70 wrote:
working on it wrote:Go to https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Enclosed_Trailer_Parts-sf-Vents.aspx to find Pop-up, or "Salem" vents in steel or aluminum, for $35-45.

I had considered getting those as my side vents, but opted for another type, that I had seen on semi-trailers, when I ran a receiving department. They never showed signs of leaking, so I got them instead.
my side vents from e-trailer.JPG
I put screen material inside the butterfly opening, and modified one, used to cover my A/C exhaust ducting. They work great, no leaks.
Also, I put reversible computer case fans on hinges to be able to swing in front of each of the two main cabin vents, in order to pull air in, or to direct air out (keeps dust out!). They can run forever on 12vdc battery power, since they draw miniscule amperage.

Do you have a thread with pics of your trailer?

*No, I never made a build journal, but instead, I posted project photos in my gallery http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=64, and asked/answered many questions (and posted my version of solutions) in many threads along the way.

*I was not sure that I'd ever complete the build, thus my reason for not starting a possibly never-to-be-completed build journal); it was being constructed by me and a friend, at his home shop, just to see how far it would progress before my wife either detected cost overruns (I paid cash, out of my weekly "allowance"), or my friend talked me back into drag-racing my Chevelle again, after a several years hiatus (his shop was a car fabrication/racing team hangout), and my interest would've shifted back to my 10 second doorslammer.

*I had started out with a junk, small, derelict motorcycle?? trailer, that had spent twenty years in my back 1/4 acre, unused after I bought it at a swap meet. I was building it off-site, 50+ miles from home, whenever I could get there, at a "low-or-no" stealth budget, in order to hide it from the wife, who demanded that the project came in under $500 USD.

*I've spent many times that amount over the years since 10-1-2011, when I loaded the little trailer carcass onto my carhauler trailer, and moved it to the remote site, and started the project. I'm always changing configurations on my squareback TTT, so I guess that if I had had a build journal, it would be never-ending.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Chasein70 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:34 am

WoodSmith wrote:It's been forever since I have been on, but I still get "Top Discussions" emails.

I picked up a couple HEPA handheld vacuum filters from the clearance rack at Home Depot a few years ago with the intention of using them as intake filters for a trailer. A little ingenuity to get the filter mounted using the twist lock mechanism should allow easy replacement at any hardware store, and easy removal when not needed.

A quick Google search indicates that https://www.amazon.com/ZVac-Compatible-Replacement-Replaces-3-SFA115-00X/dp/B008GFP33A?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_5711721011 has them for a few bucks a piece.

I don't know that this is the best size for the job, but it may provide a rabbit hole that yields a solution.

Another good idea. Best one yet!
Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Postby beachguy005 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:53 am

You can buy home AC filters at HD and just cut it to the size you need. They're inexpensive and 1 filter should supply you with a lifetime of replacements.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby Chasein70 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:16 pm

working on it wrote:
Chasein70 wrote:
working on it wrote:Go to https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Enclosed_Trailer_Parts-sf-Vents.aspx to find Pop-up, or "Salem" vents in steel or aluminum, for $35-45.

I had considered getting those as my side vents, but opted for another type, that I had seen on semi-trailers, when I ran a receiving department. They never showed signs of leaking, so I got them instead.
my side vents from e-trailer.JPG
I put screen material inside the butterfly opening, and modified one, used to cover my A/C exhaust ducting. They work great, no leaks.
Also, I put reversible computer case fans on hinges to be able to swing in front of each of the two main cabin vents, in order to pull air in, or to direct air out (keeps dust out!). They can run forever on 12vdc battery power, since they draw miniscule amperage.

Do you have a thread with pics of your trailer?

*No, I never made a build journal, but instead, I posted project photos in my gallery http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=64, and asked/answered many questions (and posted my version of solutions) in many threads along the way.

*I was not sure that I'd ever complete the build, thus my reason for not starting a possibly never-to-be-completed build journal); it was being constructed by me and a friend, at his home shop, just to see how far it would progress before my wife either detected cost overruns (I paid cash, out of my weekly "allowance"), or my friend talked me back into drag-racing my Chevelle again, after a several years hiatus (his shop was a car fabrication/racing team hangout), and my interest would've shifted back to my 10 second doorslammer.

*I had started out with a junk, small, derelict motorcycle?? trailer, that had spent twenty years in my back 1/4 acre, unused after I bought it at a swap meet. I was building it off-site, 50+ miles from home, whenever I could get there, at a "low-or-no" stealth budget, in order to hide it from the wife, who demanded that the project came in under $500 USD.

*I've spent many times that amount over the years since 10-1-2011, when I loaded the little trailer carcass onto my carhauler trailer, and moved it to the remote site, and started the project. I'm always changing configurations on my squareback TTT, so I guess that if I had had a build journal, it would be never-ending.

I especially like your stabilizers? Adjustable pipe clamps!!

I've been building my cargo trailer/camper since May of 2017. I'm into it for about $22,000 so far. It's pretty much done but like you say, mine also is never ending. I keep adding and changing stuff. I'm a wood worker so I had a lot of fun.

Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Postby working on it » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:19 pm

Chasein70 wrote:I especially like your stabilizers? Adjustable pipe clamps!!

I've been building my cargo trailer/camper since May of 2017. I'm into it for about $22,000 so far. It's pretty much done but like you say, mine also is never ending. I keep adding and changing stuff. I'm a wood worker so I had a lot of fun.

* Looks great! You obviously have the skills, and quite an investment in it ($22k !!!). Whereas I only had a vague desire to try my hand at building a trailer, by initially trying to assemble a basic bolt-together, glue & screw (minor skills of a lifelong home/work-mechanic/troubleshooter), one-of-a-kind design, without any prior woodworking project experience, or $$$ to spend. My skill level is still in question, even after the trailer work, and home-improvement efforts, later on. Results = apples v. oranges.
* But, I bet I enjoy "working on it" (my credo/username for decades) as much as you did or still do! Oh, I thought I invented that type of pipe-clamp stabilizer, but later spotted it on another website, previously unknown by me, from a few year's earlier.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:49 am

Chasein70 wrote:I've been building my cargo trailer/camper since May of 2017. I'm into it for about $22,000 so far. It's pretty much done but like you say, mine also is never ending. I keep adding and changing stuff. I'm a wood worker so I had a lot of fun.

Wow!
That looks like one fine trailer. I'd like to see more.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Chasein70 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:31 pm

Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chasein70 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:34 pm

Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chasein70 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:36 pm

Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chasein70 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:37 pm

Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chasein70 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:45 pm

50 gallon water tank going in the back of my pickup. Have 22 gallon in the trailer

Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chasein70 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:48 pm

22 gallon marine gas tank. I have a 3400 watt Champion generator on a tray slide out under bed. I modified it with a pulse pump to draw from this tank.

Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chasein70 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:51 pm

Xantrex 3000 watt inverter control panel. 360 watt solar panel. Fuel gauge to under bed generator fuel tank. Remote start and stop generator switches.

All wood is yellow birch with some cherry inlay

Chasein70
Teardrop Builder

Postby Iconfabul8 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:16 am

Very Nice! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Iconfabul8
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions